• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here bringing up Tyler Johnson, but I've been struggling as I think he is a really top WR and up until now I don't think anyone has agreed with me. For instance if you do these fun TDN mocks, you can draft Tyler Johnson well into the 6th or sometimes 7th round. I've seen that routinely. However, if you do a PFF mock draft generator, Tyler Johnson will not make it to pick 60. He can't both be a mod second round pick and like a 6th rounder. I see him personally as much closer to a second rounder than 6th, but idk.

Here is a link to a simple highlights video of just his performance in the outback bowl against Auburn. He doesn't show off a ton of YAC in this video but what he does show you is he was great at being a high volume security blanket guy who catches everything and still can take the top off you.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here bringing up Tyler Johnson, but I've been struggling as I think he is a really top WR and up until now I don't think anyone has agreed with me. For instance if you do these fun TDN mocks, you can draft Tyler Johnson well into the 6th or sometimes 7th round. I've seen that routinely. However, if you do a PFF mock draft generator, Tyler Johnson will not make it to pick 60. He can't both be a mod second round pick and like a 6th rounder. I see him personally as much closer to a second rounder than 6th, but idk.

I really like him as a receiver, just really wish he was a tick more explosive - he's a craft route runner, has some snap to his routes in the short and intermediate range and has great hands

he struggles though with length from press corners and i think early on will see early successes from the slot

really smart receiver but i cant quite stomach it in the 2nd round - would be happy with him from the 3rd onwards

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I really like him as a receiver, just really wish he was a tick more explosive - he's a craft route runner, has some snap to his routes in the short and intermediate range and has great hands

he struggles though with length from press corners and i think early on will see early successes from the slot

really smart receiver but i cant quite stomach it in the 2nd round - would be happy with him from the 3rd onwards

I completely agree with that. If we miss out on a top guy in Round1 and guys like Ayiuk and Reagor and Hamler are flying off in the second and he's there at 60, I'm taking him without a doubt. Outside of the obvious guys, there's no receiver I trust more than this guy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I completely agree with that. If we miss out on a top guy in Round1 and guys like Ayiuk and Reagor and Hamler are flying off in the second and he's there at 60, I'm taking him without a doubt. Outside of the obvious guys, there's no receiver I trust more than this guy.

i wouldnt be crazy about that tbh - i've got him rated 78th on my big board but there are 13 WRs I have graded above him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Fair enough! Haha I trust your judgment a lot and what that means to me is we can likely find an impact guy by our first 3rd.

depending on how other teams draft WR of course but I fully expect someone I like to be there at 92 and almost 100% someone I like will be there at 106 - the problem is whether someone I like will be there at 55 or 60 which is probably where i'd most want a WR to fall to

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
depending on how other teams draft WR of course but I fully expect someone I like to be there at 92 and almost 100% someone I like will be there at 106 - the problem is whether someone I like will be there at 55 or 60 which is probably where i'd most want a WR to fall to

Yeah if something crazy like the mock in that tweet from mania happens where 8 go in round 1, we might end up having to reach a little.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah if something crazy like the mock in that tweet from mania happens where 8 go in round 1, we might end up having to reach a little.

i just dont like reaching - and nor do the ravens - if 8 receivers are going early then someone else is falling at other positions because as much as i love the receiver class - there arent 8 of them with 1st round grades - i've got 6

but id forget about that mock because only 2 QBs went and the dolphins didnt take one

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I believe I'm a bigger fan of Pittman than others are on the board and would be fine with him in the 2nd round. Also, I expect Edwards to be available at 55 / 60 also.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I believe I'm a bigger fan of Pittman than others are on the board and would be fine with him in the 2nd round. Also, I expect Edwards to be available at 55 / 60 also.

yeah i've come around the whole way on pittman - he's just outside my top 40 right now as WR 9 notably ahead of Tee Higgins and KJ Hamler and just behind Jalen Reagor and Bryan Edwards - i think some of these guys might be available at 55/60 but its whether i like them ahead of who else is there that im struggling with right now

here's a long but brilliant thread about this WR class:

Reading this analysis, it would seem like Edwards is our best logical pick. He's sounds like the big bodied and tough guy that our team would rate highly. He's be effective in the run game and could get the contested catches. He's not been 1st rounder in of any of the mock drafts I've seen. While it might be risky to expect he falls to us at our pick in the 2nd, we wouldn't need to use our 1st rounder on him. Pittman also is a guy who sounds like a fit and would potentially be there for us in the 2nd. .

To be able to get our WR in the 2nd and use our 1st rounder on a different position would be great. We are unlikely to trade up in the 1st, but a trade up in the second seems quite feasible ... especially if we are willing to slide back some in the 1st and get additional ammo.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Reading this analysis, it would seem like Edwards is our best logical pick. He's sounds like the big bodied and tough guy that our team would rate highly. He's be effective in the run game and could get the contested catches. He's not been 1st rounder in of any of the mock drafts I've seen. While it might be risky to expect he falls to us at our pick in the 2nd, we wouldn't need to use our 1st rounder on him. Pittman also is a guy who sounds like a fit and would potentially be there for us in the 2nd. .

To be able to get our WR in the 2nd and use our 1st rounder on a different position would be great. We are unlikely to trade up in the 1st, but a trade up in the second seems quite feasible ... especially if we are willing to slide back some in the 1st and get additional ammo.

i think bryan edwards has the kind of chip on his shoulder that makes him incredibly attractive to this franchise - im not sure its even the big-bodied bit that we really like

i think bryan edwards has the kind of chip on his shoulder that makes him incredibly attractive to this franchise - im not sure its even the big-bodied bit that we really like
Right that's why I stated Edwards attraction to us would be that combination of big bodied and tough. I think we've shown having that "Play like a Raven" attitude is critical in where we place a player on our board.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right that's why I stated Edwards attraction to us would be that combination of big bodied and tough. I think we've shown having that "Play like a Raven" attitude is critical in where we place a player on our board.

i think edwards is the most "play like a raven" receiver there is demonstrably in this class
denzel mims also fits the bill with the way he absolutely lives for the physicality in the game but he doesnt ooze that chip on the shoulder mentality in the same way edwards does
CeeDee Lamb is a dog even when the play is not going his way too but 1) there's no chance he makes it near the ravens pick and 2) he's still not got that underdog chip in the same type of way

there are lots of guys who are "fits" schematically as ravens but bryan edwards and denzel mims feel like the best attitude "fits" and bryan edwards embodies everything

+ the analytics with regards to breakout age are in both edwards and mims favour

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im glad im getting back around to some of the WRs i watched early now in these final days - as ive watched other guys and done more tape ive kept dinging Hamler by comparison to others and its true that he's lower on my board now than when this process started but i just reminded myself why he's still a great prospect and a decent fit here - obviously there's those drop issues and some other bits and pieces but ultimately just need to recollect my thoughts on a couple of prospects

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Bryan Edwards is criminally undervalued. The only thing that keeps me from saying he’s a first round wr is honestly Just the consensus that always has a bit of influence as to how we rank players

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bryan Edwards is criminally undervalued. The only thing that keeps me from saying he’s a first round wr is honestly Just the consensus that always has a bit of influence as to how we rank players

i think the fact (through no fault of his own) that he couldnt run the 40 is holding him back slightly especially with the lack of diverse routes he was asked to run at South Carolina partly because of a neutered offensive scheme but mostly because of appalling QB play (rivalling michigan and TCU levels of bad) - if he ran a 4.5-4.55 he ends up being firmly in the 2nd round conversation nationally and someone sneaks him into the back end of a first round mock just to stoke discussion once in a while...

people make excuses for DPJ and Jalen Reagor's lack of production and Bryan Edwards had it worse than them but he made it work anyway - even if the Ravens dont draft him (but i really hope we do) i cant wait to see him with a real functioning NFL QB and watch him fly

this might seem too high to some but he's currently 36th on my board and WR 7

I've got a pretty clear top 11 WRs (all of whom are in the top 50 in the class right now for me) and then there's a gap down to the 12th guy

in the last week or so, Bryan Edwards I think has become my number 1 WR crush over Denzel Mims (who i still love lol)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think the fact (through no fault of his own) that he couldnt run the 40 is holding him back slightly especially with the lack of diverse routes he was asked to run at South Carolina partly because of a neutered offensive scheme but mostly because of appalling QB play (rivalling michigan and TCU levels of bad) - if he ran a 4.5-4.55 he ends up being firmly in the 2nd round conversation nationally and someone sneaks him into the back end of a first round mock just to stoke discussion once in a while...

people make excuses for DPJ and Jalen Reagor's lack of production and Bryan Edwards had it worse than them but he made it work anyway - even if the Ravens dont draft him (but i really hope we do) i cant wait to see him with a real functioning NFL QB and watch him fly

this might seem too high to some but he's currently 36th on my board and WR 7

I've got a pretty clear top 11 WRs (all of whom are in the top 50 in the class right now for me) and then there's a gap down to the 12th guy

in the last week or so, Bryan Edwards I think has become my number 1 WR crush over Denzel Mims (who i still love lol)
I just got done watching some film on Edwards after seeing his name pop up again on here, and you are certainly right about Edwards deserving the excuses. Against Georgia in the first half alone I think I saw 3 plays where based on play design and defensive playcall he should’ve been the first read and that should’ve been determined pre snap, and as he should have he found himself wide open very quickly, and was never even looked at while the qb is throwing it to completely covered receivers.

Absolutely maddening.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Colorado WR Laviska Shenault was voted the likeliest wideout to be a draft bust.
Shenault received eight of the 17 votes, Baylor's Steven Mims got four, and Clemson's Tee Higgins received two to round out the top three in that poll. Shenault underwent core-muscle surgery in late February after the Combine, and with the COVID-19 pandemic, teams haven't really been able to get their medical eyes on him. “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.” Another scout compared Shenault to Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of his future NFL role. "Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” another scout said. "He’s a power guy, and those guys play.”

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "one team that appears poised to move up" in the draft is the Falcons from No. 16 overall.
The Falcons have just six picks in next week's draft, so they'd likely have to dip into their 2021 stock to make a move happen. Defensive line and cornerback appear to be the team's biggest needs right now. Maybe GM Thomas Dimitroff is eyeing someone like Ohio State CB Jeffrey Okudah, though that would likely require a huge leap into the top three or five picks. Do-it-all LB Isaiah Simmons, Auburn DT Derrick Brown, and Florida CB C.J. Henderson also make plenty of sense for Atlanta.