• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Guys I’m allowed to have an opinion on, in order of how I think the ravens could rank them:
Jeudy
Lamb
Ruggs
Mims
Jefferson
Raegor
Claypool
Higgins
Hamler
Peoples-jones
Edwards
Aiyuk
Shenault
Hill
Jefferson
Bowden?
Quartney Davis
Pittman
Tyler Johnson
Duvernay
Isaiah hodgins

something along those lines feels like a ravens type of wr board based on absolutely nothing, and those are all the wrs I have watched enough of to have an opinion on

these are my top 25 right now but will be adjusting as i go:

Jerry Jeudy
CeeDee Lamb
Denzel Mims
Henry Ruggs III
Jalen Reagor
Justin Jefferson
Tee Higgins
Brandon Aiyuk
KJ Hamler
Lynn Bowden Jr
Tyler Johnson
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Bryan Edwards
Isaiah Hodgins
Laviska Shenault Jr.
Devin Duvernay
Antonio Gandy Golden
Van Jefferson
Gabriel Davis
Michael Pittman Jr
Quartney Davis
Collin Johnson
KJ Hill
Chase Claypool
James Proche

maybe john hightower would slot into the top 25 somewhere - not sure what else would be changed otherwise

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Jerry Jeudy
CeeDee Lamb
Denzel Mims
Henry Ruggs III
Jalen Reagor
Justin Jefferson
Tee Higgins
Brandon Aiyuk
KJ Hamler
Lynn Bowden Jr
Tyler Johnson
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Bryan Edwards
Isaiah Hodgins
Laviska Shenault Jr.
Devin Duvernay
Antonio Gandy Golden
Van Jefferson
Gabriel Davis
Michael Pittman Jr
Quartney Davis
Collin Johnson
KJ Hill
Chase Claypool
James Proche

maybe john hightower would slot into the top 25 somewhere - not sure what else would be changed otherwise
Jefferson and Aiyuk > Reagor for me.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Justin jefferson running routes and giving Ed Reed a shout-out for building a turf field.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Is it crazy to have Justin Jefferson as the second best WR in the class? I think ya'll are going to say yes. There are only 4 WRs for me that I think are going to have big years completely independent of where they get drafted. I'm not saying there are only 4 that are going to have big years, but 4 that I think can be 850+ yards year one no matter waht.

1 Lamb
2 Jefferson
3 Jeudy
4 Mims
Those 4 for me pop out for me as being flat out dominant.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is it crazy to have Justin Jefferson as the second best WR in the class? I think ya'll are going to say yes. There are only 4 WRs for me that I think are going to have big years completely independent of where they get drafted. I'm not saying there are only 4 that are going to have big years, but 4 that I think can be 850+ yards year one no matter waht.

1 Lamb
2 Jefferson
3 Jeudy
4 Mims
Those 4 for me pop out for me as being flat out dominant.

i dont think its crazy - a little unusual for sure but i literally have ruggs and jefferson stacked next to each other right now at 17th and 18th on my board and how i feel at any given moment might change which one i have over the other for 4th vs 5th wr

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i dont think its crazy - a little unusual for sure but i literally have ruggs and jefferson stacked next to each other right now at 17th and 18th on my board and how i feel at any given moment might change which one i have over the other for 4th vs 5th wr

See for me Ruggs is the kinda guy where if he is in the right place could be just dominant, but someone that could be a 500 or so yards per year guy if in the wrong place. Like idk for me it would be sad to see Ruggs with the Jets. For me though, I just feel like Jefferson is a handful to cover and even when there is good coverage, I'm picking him in the 50 50 situations. Would love to have him. Cannot imagine a situation where Philly does not take him if he's there at 21

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See for me Ruggs is the kinda guy where if he is in the right place could be just dominant, but someone that could be a 500 or so yards per year guy if in the wrong place. Like idk for me it would be sad to see Ruggs with the Jets. For me though, I just feel like Jefferson is a handful to cover and even when there is good coverage, I'm picking him in the 50 50 situations. Would love to have him. Cannot imagine a situation where Philly does not take him if he's there at 21

its all about different flavours of receiver tbh at this point - different tastes, different scheme fits

honestly id be more surprised if the Eagles turn down Ruggs than Jefferson just because of what a skilled speed threat does for that offensive scheme (see desean jackson)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
its all about different flavours of receiver tbh at this point - different tastes, different scheme fits

honestly id be more surprised if the Eagles turn down Ruggs than Jefferson just because of what a skilled speed threat does for that offensive scheme (see desean jackson)

Totally agree. I was operating under the more traditional assumption that Ruggs is a guaranteed top 15 pick and Jefferson is not.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Totally agree. I was operating under the more traditional assumption that Ruggs is a guaranteed top 15 pick and Jefferson is not.

in any normal draft i think he'd be nailed on in the top 15 - and he may still go that high - players that run that fast normally go top 10 let alone top 15... but this isnt a normal WR draft

then again - id be surprised if he made it past the broncos at 15 and then the dolphins at 18

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
in any normal draft i think he'd be nailed on in the top 15 - and he may still go that high - players that run that fast normally go top 10 let alone top 15... but this isnt a normal WR draft

then again - id be surprised if he made it past the broncos at 15 and then the dolphins at 18

So hard to know. What did you think about the Twitter thread having Pittman and Hodgkins, and Edwards much higher than most others?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Can I ask why most people are so high on Reagor? For some odd reason, he just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He isn't big, but he doesn't really play particularly fast for my eyes. Very limited route tree right? I don't know. He just wouldn't be high on my board.
I'm definitely with you on that regard.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

Jerry Jeudy
CeeDee Lamb
Denzel Mims
Henry Ruggs III
Jalen Reagor
Justin Jefferson
Tee Higgins
Brandon Aiyuk
KJ Hamler
Lynn Bowden Jr
Tyler Johnson
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Bryan Edwards
Isaiah Hodgins
Laviska Shenault Jr.
Devin Duvernay
Antonio Gandy Golden
Van Jefferson
Gabriel Davis
Michael Pittman Jr
Quartney Davis
Collin Johnson
KJ Hill
Chase Claypool
James Proche

I like Duvernay more than Bowden by a lot. I just dont see it with Bowden

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk had core-muscle surgery Tuesday.
With offseason programs in doubt, Aiyuk believed it was worth fixing the issue now before it became an in-season problem. A big-play weapon with experience as a returner, Aiyuk projects as a possible rookie-year starter as a lengthy vertical weapon with 4.50 speed. He's currently projected to be a top-50 selection in the 2020 NFL Draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That was a fun read. My love for Mims took a hit though lol. DPJ train incoming!

i dont agree with the things he said about mims that made him drop him (with stiff knees and hips etc. and lack of flexibility - he talks about the same criticisms with regards to metcalf (but had metcalf number 1 last year) but doesnt really explain fully why he thinks Mims suffers worse except to say DK's releases were better maybe... IDK i dont think Mims is stiff at all and he's not as strong as DK at the LoS with just overpowering releases etc. (who could be lol?) but he's not shabby there at all (and clearly has improved post-season finishing)

i just dont understand what he's seeing with Mims but i do respect him as an analyst especially given his speciality with evaluating corners and how that helps him evaluate WRs (what do good WRs do that make CBs struggle)

if you love Mims, feel free to continue loving Mims (I am)

his way of evaluating i find really useful because it's based in a similar positive evaluation type that the ravens use with positions like LB (and hopefully WR too) which is not about where a guy isnt complete but does a guy have a way they win, and do they win that way consistently?

basically... what can this player add to our team rather than what they dont have

for me the only position where you have to really focus on how they lose is OL and CB (and to a lesser extent DL) because they dont get to come off the field to compensate for their weaknesses - no one's running out a platoon at RT with guys with differing strengths and you cant hide your weaknesses as a corner in a passing league

at every other position you can maybe not worry so much about what a player cant do (unless there's a lot they cant do)

but that way of evaluating and his comments definitely made me think about Pittman again and made me feel more comfortable moving Bryan Edwards higher up the board

but he also clearly has a bias (maybe unacknowledged) for larger receivers given how he evaluates them which is something to take into account given that it's a separation league right now and how you separate (and how early you separate) is pretty important

i really like reading his evaluations and going through his various threads but i dont read them as gospel

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So hard to know. What did you think about the Twitter thread having Pittman and Hodgkins, and Edwards much higher than most others?

i really like Edwards, Hodgins has been on my mind for a while because he's so good at the catchpoint and at the top of his route - he's awesome at a lot of things but if corners dont respect his ability to get behind them (or if he doesnt get behind them) then he's going to have to deal with a lot more contested catch situations because corners will just sit on the short stuff so hodgins is a tough evaluation in that sense for me - if he had even a little more timed speed i'd be more inclined to have him higher on the board because the other stuff he does, he does at a pretty high level - similar type of concerns i have about van jefferson tbh (i.e. i know you can operate at a high level on short and intermediate stuff if corners are threatened by you running a post/corner or even a go but it'll be hard work if you cant threaten them in some way on deeper patterns because they'll sit on the short stuff)

pittman i flip flop on a lot - right now i think he's a 3rd rounder who has enormous upside and a decent floor - he's just not as physical as id like and i dont really see that timed speed on tape as much as id like which keeps him behind all the 11 receivers i have above him - KJ Hamler is the only one i feel like im not sure about in terms of dropping below him - i feel like i might have Tee Higgins a bit high too but i dont think id drop him anywhere near pittman's range where i have him right now

that being said my top 15 WRs all feature in the top 75 on my big board right now which tells you how good i think this class is - and pittman is 12th WR on my board but 66th overall...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like Duvernay more than Bowden by a lot. I just dont see it with Bowden

what dont you like about bowden?
i also like duvernay too but Bowden i think is a modern NFL player in the sense that he's a weapon and you let him make magic happen with the ball in his hands while also having the ability to develop as a WR (his development was stunted by playing QB for most of 2019)

this guy is the type of prospect that everyone is pretending Deebo Samuel was in college (rather than just how he was used by Shanahan)