• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk had core-muscle surgery Tuesday.
With offseason programs in doubt, Aiyuk believed it was worth fixing the issue now before it became an in-season problem. A big-play weapon with experience as a returner, Aiyuk projects as a possible rookie-year starter as a lengthy vertical weapon with 4.50 speed. He's currently projected to be a top-50 selection in the 2020 NFL Draft.

he seems to have run the 40 with that core-muscle problem too

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As much as I like KJ Hamler, I hope we don't draft him due to his high drop rate. Thoughts?

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
what dont you like about bowden?
i also like duvernay too but Bowden i think is a modern NFL player in the sense that he's a weapon and you let him make magic happen with the ball in his hands while also having the ability to develop as a WR (his development was stunted by playing QB for most of 2019)

this guy is the type of prospect that everyone is pretending Deebo Samuel was in college (rather than just how he was used by Shanahan)
That's the issue I see, I think hes a bit raw as a reciever and saw him have several miscommunications with his QB as well as drops or misjudging the ball in the air. Idk if I want a guy like that with Lamar and especially considering we need a guy whos gonna make the most if his opportunities. In our offense a reciever in our offense might only see 3 or 4 balls go his way. Cant afford to have 1 of those be a drop or miscommunication. And I saw a lot of those on his film

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
As much as I like KJ Hamler, I hope we don't draft him due to his high drop rate. Thoughts?
Agree on the same basis I said above. We need a guy who will make the most of his opportunities. Not many will come in our offense. Plus I dont like speedsters or big play guys who drop passes. Why I like Hollywood so much

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i really like Edwards, Hodgins has been on my mind for a while because he's so good at the catchpoint and at the top of his route - he's awesome at a lot of things but if corners dont respect his ability to get behind them (or if he doesnt get behind them) then he's going to have to deal with a lot more contested catch situations because corners will just sit on the short stuff so hodgins is a tough evaluation in that sense for me - if he had even a little more timed speed i'd be more inclined to have him higher on the board because the other stuff he does, he does at a pretty high level - similar type of concerns i have about van jefferson tbh (i.e. i know you can operate at a high level on short and intermediate stuff if corners are threatened by you running a post/corner or even a go but it'll be hard work if you cant threaten them in some way on deeper patterns because they'll sit on the short stuff)

pittman i flip flop on a lot - right now i think he's a 3rd rounder who has enormous upside and a decent floor - he's just not as physical as id like and i dont really see that timed speed on tape as much as id like which keeps him behind all the 11 receivers i have above him - KJ Hamler is the only one i feel like im not sure about in terms of dropping below him - i feel like i might have Tee Higgins a bit high too but i dont think id drop him anywhere near pittman's range where i have him right now

that being said my top 15 WRs all feature in the top 75 on my big board right now which tells you how good i think this class is - and pittman is 12th WR on my board but 66th overall...

Wow! Didn't realize you had him so high. That's pretty interesting.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agree on the same basis I said above. We need a guy who will make the most of his opportunities. Not many will come in our offense. Plus I dont like speedsters or big play guys who drop passes. Why I like Hollywood so much
Hollywood had a good first year, but if we play this year, I smell a great 2nd season. This is also a big reason I like Denzel Mims in our offense. Besides his big play ability, he is a very good blocker and would fit so well in Roman's scheme.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's the issue I see, I think hes a bit raw as a reciever and saw him have several miscommunications with his QB as well as drops or misjudging the ball in the air. Idk if I want a guy like that with Lamar and especially considering we need a guy whos gonna make the most if his opportunities. In our offense a reciever in our offense might only see 3 or 4 balls go his way. Cant afford to have 1 of those be a drop or miscommunication. And I saw a lot of those on his film

i guess i dont look at our offence that way - and bowden is an offensive weapon who you can find touches for in the short game that he has the ability to take to the house, he can take handoffs, he can take wildcat snaps (not that you'd want to take the ball out of lamar's hands but would potentially add a wrinkle to the offence that we used a couple of times with mark ingram last year) and he runs to a spot on the field on deep balls like in baseball which allows him to run under deep balls that he might otherwise have no chance of even getting to

to me he's everything people think laviska shenault is - he's a weapon who you can give touches to who has the ability to threaten a defence at all levels as both a runner, a receiver and an athlete - and he has the type of dynamism that can change a game with 1 touch

not saying he's the perfect prospect and im not advocating dropping a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd rounder necessarily) on him but he would add significant value to our offence with immediate impact

and on top of all that stuff he's a returner

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been lower on Edwards because for me he's this super physical WR with great highlight catches - but he's also not overly agile nor is he good at creating separation - and he's athletically limited. He's nowhere near as good after the catch as the guys I have ahead of him.
The last two drafts taught me what GMs are looking for: athletic WRs who are able to get YAC.
However I give him a pass on certain plays because the QBs he has played with are meh at best.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess i dont look at our offence that way - and bowden is an offensive weapon who you can find touches for in the short game that he has the ability to take to the house, he can take handoffs, he can take wildcat snaps (not that you'd want to take the ball out of lamar's hands but would potentially add a wrinkle to the offence that we used a couple of times with mark ingram last year) and he runs to a spot on the field on deep balls like in baseball which allows him to run under deep balls that he might otherwise have no chance of even getting to

to me he's everything people think laviska shenault is - he's a weapon who you can give touches to who has the ability to threaten a defence at all levels as both a runner, a receiver and an athlete - and he has the type of dynamism that can change a game with 1 touch

not saying he's the perfect prospect and im not advocating dropping a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd rounder necessarily) on him but he would add significant value to our offence with immediate impact

and on top of all that stuff he's a returner
I gotta go back to his film then. I watched 3 of his games as a WR and didnt really see traits that jumped out at me, just seemed like an average athlete. I'll look back into him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I gotta go back to his film then. I watched 3 of his games as a WR and didnt really see traits that jumped out at me, just seemed like an average athlete. I'll look back into him

watch him after their QB went down and he had to take over the offence - you dont see receiving skills (because obviously he cant throw it to himself) but you see weapon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've been lower on Edwards because for me he's this super physical WR with great highlight catches - but he's also not overly agile nor is he good at creating separation - and he's athletically limited. He's nowhere near as good after the catch as the guys I have ahead of him.
The last two drafts taught me what GMs are looking for: athletic WRs who are able to get YAC.
However I give him a pass on certain plays because the QBs he has played with are meh at best.

idk - he doesnt seem unathletic to me

here's some tweet threads with some all-22 (really hard to find) and better angles:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
2 receivers I feel like nobody is talking about are Tyler Johnson and Omar Bayless. Just look at their production last year. Neither are big time athletes and I think that's why they're being overlooked. But clearly they found a way to win. Really hoping we pick Johnson if he's there in the fourth. I think he could be this year's Terry McLaurin.

I’m not sure what receivers Decosta is talking about but I doubt we can find a starter in round 5. Hopefully he’s just blowing smoke.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I’m not sure what receivers Decosta is talking about but I doubt we can find a starter in round 5. Hopefully he’s just blowing smoke.
I'm not saying he's an immediate starter level player, but given our lack of returner idk why more people aren't talking about us taking Joe Reed in the 6th or 7th. He strikes me as a Ty Montgomery type player with some RB/WR capability as well as his already great KR ability (33 yards/return last year). I would gladly take a flyer on him and see what we can turn him into

rossihunter2

Staff Member
chase claypool is someone i really want to like but just cant - he has lots of tools - some of his releases are awesome but then he doesnt create separation, his route tree is minute also - always about verticals and almost nothing over the middle (which makes the idea of moving him to TE a little odd - certainly at least to begin with)

you can see the traits that should make him a great prospect but it doesnt really come together on film in terms of actually separating which is alarming for sure

Height-Weight-Speed are all elite
Has some dynamic and high quality releases where he shows strength and suddenness
Great hands and consistently wins through contact at the catch point

but he doesnt separate despite all of the above which is off-putting to say the least

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
idk - he doesnt seem unathletic to me

here's some tweet threads with some all-22 (really hard to find) and better angles:

Bryan Edwards looks like ten times the receiver Metcalf was.

if he was projected where he SHOULD be he would be going in the range between mims and raegor/Higgins/hamler

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bryan Edwards looks like ten times the receiver Metcalf was.

if he was projected where he SHOULD be he would be going in the range between mims and raegor/Higgins/hamler

i think you can ding him as a prospect for a limited route tree that maybe leaves some questions but what he can do, he's awesome at - being unable to prove himself during athletic testing probably ruined his media value because he wasnt a big-name guy at a big-name school but if NFL teams are satisfied with him athletically then he'll probably go higher than expected - right now i have him as WR 8 and ahead of Tee Higgins and way ahead of Hamler

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here bringing up Tyler Johnson, but I've been struggling as I think he is a really top WR and up until now I don't think anyone has agreed with me. For instance if you do these fun TDN mocks, you can draft Tyler Johnson well into the 6th or sometimes 7th round. I've seen that routinely. However, if you do a PFF mock draft generator, Tyler Johnson will not make it to pick 60. He can't both be a mod second round pick and like a 6th rounder. I see him personally as much closer to a second rounder than 6th, but idk.