• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
just watching peter schrager on the lounge podcast - and the most telling line so far:

"anyone who tells you their source is Eric DeCosta is full of it because he doesn't talk to anybody"

this was when he was being asked about kenneth murray etc. and he was mentioning a source and the lounge guys were like is it EDC
specifically it was about schrager being told that murray had been wowing people at the combine - his source was from an AFC team coach

this coach was telling schrags (and its been echoed from elsewhere) - 'i dont know if he's the best sideline-to-sideline, i dont know if his 40's going to be the best..." but [to paraphrase] basically they trust in kenneth murray the person and the leader

rossihunter2

Staff Member
difference on previous drafts - schrager is noticing that more teams are asking him where other teams have certain small school prospects
the wackiness of this draft might not manifest on day 1 but by late day 2 or day 3 we're going to get potentially all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff - and teams with better scouting departments (rather than outsourcing and having data gatherers) are going to do much better

this tweet from DJ is pretty interesting too with regards to all that:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
schrags hearing rumblings that jordyn brooks might be coming off the board much earlier than you might expect
That does and doesn’t make sense.

It makes sense because if Kenneth Murray is a first rounder, why isn’t brooks? They’re identical on the field but brooks might actually be a little more nuanced in coverage.

it doesn’t make sense because neither should be considered until at least 60 imo

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
just watching peter schrager on the lounge podcast - and the most telling line so far:

"anyone who tells you their source is Eric DeCosta is full of it because he doesn't talk to anybody"

this was when he was being asked about kenneth murray etc. and he was mentioning a source and the lounge guys were like is it EDC
specifically it was about schrager being told that murray had been wowing people at the combine - his source was from an AFC team coach

this coach was telling schrags (and its been echoed from elsewhere) - 'i dont know if he's the best sideline-to-sideline, i dont know if his 40's going to be the best..." but [to paraphrase] basically they trust in kenneth murray the person and the leader
Drafting a LB because he wowed ppl at the combine - recipe for disaster.

Simba

Staff Member

I've been wondering internally if this was going to happen this year. So many teams are going to have to rely on tape over testing numbers that I could see some huge variances. Of course, NFL teams have a lot more resources at hand, but you can see the differences of opinion on these boards and how that could affect things.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2

It is possible that Gladney is BPA when we pick at 28. I wonder how confident we are in Tavon's ability to stay on the field. He's missed time even during the seasons he's played substantially, and wasn't his injury last year neck/shoulder related?

Im not sure we want to use Marlon in the slot again and Im pretty sure we are drafting that Tavon insurance. Its just a matter of how high we'll do it.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see limited film of Murray in man and he looks spotty in zone. really unsure of how to play crossers or how to handle mesh routes underneath. This is especially important as mesh concepts are employed vs. Dime packages regularly. In other words, I wonder about his ability to be on the field all the time in year one. Unless we bring him off the edge in those settings....which is interesting...perhaps keeping LJ or Alaka at ILB with Kenneth rushing off the edge

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think given Covid, Murray will end up going higher than he would in any other year. Predicting he is off the boars way ahead of 28.

Simba

Staff Member
@rossihunter2

It is possible that Gladney is BPA when we pick at 28. I wonder how confident we are in Tavon's ability to stay on the field. He's missed time even during the seasons he's played substantially, and wasn't his injury last year neck/shoulder related?

Im not sure we want to use Marlon in the slot again and Im pretty sure we are drafting that Tavon insurance. Its just a matter of how high we'll do it.

I don't mind Gladney the player at all, but I think it would be hard to justify using a day 1 pick on a CB with how much we have invested there already. Like you said, I'd be surprised if they don't walk out with some slot insurance on late day 2/early day 3, but I can't fathom a 1st being used there.

A safety on the other hand? I can buy it.

Simba

Staff Member
Speaking of S, I really think that could be a sleeper pick. I wouldn't be shocked at all if part of the ILB solution is Chuck Clark/drafted S with a true MIKE later in the draft. Sub packages are pretty much base packages nowadays anyways.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think @JoeyFlex5 is right. If there's a RB the ravens should target, it should be CEH. Guys a monster and just a big time weapon. Also had enormous production despite being in the LSU big time passing offense. I don't think there's a chance in hell he's there at 55 though. If he slips out of the first round, might have to consider moving up a little in the second. For me, my top RBs after going back and watching more are actually Taylor, followed by CEH, then Swift. I don't personally like the drop-off to say a jk Dobbins after those 3 to warrant a second round pick, but that's just me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2

Amik Robertson round 3, done and done

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Who else loves Peter Schrager and Kay Adams, one for his love of the Ravens and the other just for being?