• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i talked about liking him - but i didnt think at the time id be talking about him as a better actual prospect

i partly wonder if devonta is doing himself any favours by going back to college - he wont have tua around to throw to him and he wont have jeudy and ruggs drawing attention away - and he loses a year of being in the league

but then again if he goes off this year with a new QB and with all the attention then he likely proves to every pundit out there that he's a bona fide talent in a shallower class and makes himself some money

but i did really like the idea in early january of potentially 3 players at the same position, from the same school going in the 1st round of the draft in the same draft class - would have been cool
Depending how season goes (and if it goes), he can only hurt himself in dollar terms. No matter where he gets drafted though, he'd become a top shelf WR in pros.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched Kenneth Murray tape again and man he dominated vs Texas. Prob his best game as far as seeing what he brings to the table. Just explosive as hell man

Last mock for me, would love if the board fell this way

Attachments

• 8DED211E-7A8C-40F5-AD2B-C4C1CC04F4F0.png
    8DED211E-7A8C-40F5-AD2B-C4C1CC04F4F0.png
    602.6 KB · Views: 326
Do we like Mims on here? Just watched the Brett Kollmann video on him, and his blocking alone makes me think he'd be a good fit. I see a few positive mentions on the last few pages of this thread.

Also what's up with the mixed Murray reviews on here? The pro analysts (DJ, etc) all seem to love him and apparently hear nothing but great things about him from front offices. A lot of that is based on character and leadership I guess.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Do we like Mims on here? Just watched the Brett Kollmann video on him, and his blocking alone makes me think he'd be a good fit. I see a few positive mentions on the last few pages of this thread.

Also what's up with the mixed Murray reviews on here? The pro analysts (DJ, etc) all seem to love him and apparently hear nothing but great things about him from front offices. A lot of that is based on character and leadership I guess.

I love him - posted my big board in the draft section but Denzel Mims is 12th on my board of all prospects

With regard to Murray the best people to articulate why the mixed reviews here are probably @Edgar and @cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Just to be clear, nobody is perfect going into the draft, hence they’re called prospects.

Pros: Murray is a great person and leader. Phenomenal athlete, has the speed to cover RBs and TEs, tackling machine (28 tackles against Army!!!), improved from year to year (e.g. UGA’s run game absolutely killed him his freshman year), great closing speed, running backs can’t fall forward (indicates leg-strength), attacks gaps violently, gets off blocks, active hands, possesses speed to evade blocks from OLs, good blitzer, violent tackler (technique isn’t textbook but effective)

Cons: instincts, makes wrong decisions (frequently!) i.e. wrong anticipation or he doesn’t know/recognize the play, misses tackles because of misjudgments, he’s a spot dropper, lateral ok but if routes are in front of him he panics and grabs opponents. This means we might use him outside or just as a downhill thumper in the beginning. He doesn’t learn from his mistakes within the same game – and by that I mean he keeps falling for the same play fakes.

Murray has got the potential to be a fulltime MLB. But wrong reads and slow play recognition are going to lead to mistakes and unreliability. Are you ok with him shooting the wrong gap and running backs making 20-yard gains? You can’t expect him to be an immediate starter at MLB. Patience is key.

Recent studies show that linebackers (off-ball) are the counterpart of running backs. You shouldn’t be drafting both high – value wise there are better options to choose from in the 1st. However, this doesn’t mean you should completely ignore them.

Let’s take a look at CJ Mosley. I think we can all agree on that he wasn’t best athlete, but he still made TFLs because of his play recognition and anticipation. MLB don’t have to have superb athletic ability – they can dominate if they know their scheme as well as the opponent’s aka true students of the game. I’m cautious when it comes to Big12 defenders - if you have trouble understanding schemes at this level, then...well I'm not sure how long the transition is going to take. (…I admit this argument isn’t well founded)

In the end we’re not set at MLB if we choose to draft Murray. We would need to draft someone like Wilson who’s got a clean tackling form, textbook positioning, instincts and knows what happens in front of him and doesn’t get distracted by pre-snap motions and fakes – but clearly lakes athleticism & range.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I just have no confidence either way about how we think about linebackers

So I completely agree with your sentiment that an ilb is similar to a RB in terms of first round value, but I think this team right here right now has to think critically about what they want to draft. If EDC means that he really wants the first 5 picks to be immediate impact players, that means they need to be at positions where there is a hole or the ability to out compete the current starter. With that being said there is no position on our team that by plugging in a good player at lb would have a greater effect at this moment. Now you can argue certainly that we could add someone after the draft, but it's pretty much a guarantee that on an individual basis, I think a Patrick Queen would do more for this Ravens team then even a Jerry Jeudy would and I think JJ is a much better long term prospect.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I completely agree with your sentiment that an ilb is similar to a RB in terms of first round value, but I think this team right here right now has to think critically about what they want to draft. If EDC means that he really wants the first 5 picks to be immediate impact players, that means they need to be at positions where there is a hole or the ability to out compete the current starter. With that being said there is no position on our team that by plugging in a good player at lb would have a greater effect at this moment. Now you can argue certainly that we could add someone after the draft, but it's pretty much a guarantee that on an individual basis, I think a Patrick Queen would do more for this Ravens team then even a Jerry Jeudy would and I think JJ is a much better long term prospect.

if it's queen im fine with the pick