• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Juniors declaring to enter 2020 draft / return to school

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
of course he could end up on a better team, so there is that as well. What's more important to him, a few million dollars on a lousy team or winning on a better team where he will likely still earn millions of dollars.

Ahem...….Patriots. :lol::lol:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Tua got 2 big gifts this year, burrow shooting ahead of him so he can avoid the bengals, and then the injury likely pushes him down to a great situation, I could see him end up in NO

Josh Uche - DE - MIC
Alvin McFarland - RB - MD

(nationalmockdrafts on IG reposted their goodbyes to School and teammates)

Helloo guuuuys

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Would like to further elaborate on this no...

Also, no.

Lol really though, these clowns think these athletes owe everyone something, they were given tuition for a set amount of seasons, bowl games aren’t part of the season, they’re an exhibition game masquerading as “post” season. Not only do the players have nothing to gain from playing these games, but the ncaa and schools don’t even try to encourage it with anything more than berating and shaming them. Me being the person I am, if you give me the treatment these analysts are giving these players, I’m DEFINITELY sitting out, if anything just to spite them all.

The treatment of college players really gets on my nerves man, most of these players, as in like 99% never receive a game check, yet here they are bringing in big money for the schools and they also see none of that. You get someone with a full ride scholarship on an academic basis and they’re in school taking classes and that’s it, a student athlete gets that scholarship but has far less time and opportunity due to the demands of sports, it’s bullshit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would like to further elaborate on this no...

Also, no.

Lol really though, these clowns think these athletes owe everyone something, they were given tuition for a set amount of seasons, bowl games aren’t part of the season, they’re an exhibition game masquerading as “post” season. Not only do the players have nothing to gain from playing these games, but the ncaa and schools don’t even try to encourage it with anything more than berating and shaming them. Me being the person I am, if you give me the treatment these analysts are giving these players, I’m DEFINITELY sitting out, if anything just to spite them all.

The treatment of college players really gets on my nerves man, most of these players, as in like 99% never receive a game check, yet here they are bringing in big money for the schools and they also see none of that. You get someone with a full ride scholarship on an academic basis and they’re in school taking classes and that’s it, a student athlete gets that scholarship but has far less time and opportunity due to the demands of sports, it’s bullshit

even beyond that - it is evidently a bad reason to criticise a player because skipping bowl games seemingly has absolutely no correlation to success in the NFL either nor does it give insight on a prospect's impact on a locker room

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
is this finally going to be the year where the pundit class and draftniks just accept that skipping a bowl game literally means nothing and will continue to mean nothing until college players get paid because otherwise there's no business sense in playing in that game
I don't have an issue with them sitting out, outside of it hurting the team. That being said, it makes perfect business sense .

That being said, I have a hard time with players getting paid, because of the scholarships that they receive. Also a lot of the money the universities receive from the sports programs, especially football goes back to the students and education. I don't have an issue with them being able to make money on the side, like signing autographs, etc...

@JoeyFlex5 I'm a financial advisor and help clients pay for college through retirement. One thing I know for certain is very few non athletes get a full ride for academic scholarships anymore and many of the top schools are based on need based aid and have absolutely no merit scholarship at all. The public in state schools give the least amount, in most cases, because they have less money in endowments.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't have an issue with them sitting out, outside of it hurting the team. That being said, it makes perfect business sense .

That being said, I have a hard time with players getting paid, because of the scholarships that they receive. Also a lot of the money the universities receive from the sports programs, especially football goes back to the students and education. I don't have an issue with them being able to make money on the side, like signing autographs, etc...

@JoeyFlex5 I'm a financial advisor and help clients pay for college through retirement. One thing I know for certain is very few non athletes get a full ride for academic scholarships anymore and many of the top schools are based on need based aid and have absolutely no merit scholarship at all. The public in state schools give the least amount, in most cases, because they have less money in endowments.

the problem here is that the financial factors double up - they are given their scholarships and that is it - they are not paid despite being expected to treat their sport like a job, they are not allowed to market themselves or get endorsements and capitalise on their celebrity - it is a massive hypocrisy that a company that doesnt pay them gets to make money from marketing them but they are not allowed by that same organisation to market themselves

a scholarship is not enough to subsist on, and if players arent compensated for their time with the team they have a scholarship for then they should be given more time away from the team to make money in other jobs or in other ways that they can create income

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the problem here is that the financial factors double up - they are given their scholarships and that is it - they are not paid despite being expected to treat their sport like a job, they are not allowed to market themselves or get endorsements and capitalise on their celebrity - it is a massive hypocrisy that a company that doesnt pay them gets to make money from marketing them but they are not allowed by that same organisation to market themselves

a scholarship is not enough to subsist on, and if players arent compensated for their time with the team they have a scholarship for then they should be given more time away from the team to make money in other jobs or in other ways that they can create income
they should be able to capitalize on their celebrity status, but their scholarships at some of these institutions can cost over 200k for a four year degree, depending on the school they attend. Some schools cost over 70k per year and that scholarship is covering everything. The very small minority that actually do make the NFL, made it because of the scholarships they received from those institutions that allowed them to play.

The funds that these universities receive go back to help in education for the vast majority that don't play athletics. As i said, they absolutely should be able to get endorsements, but I'm against them getting paid, unless they plan on lowering the scholarship amount and that would make no sense.