• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Juniors declaring to enter 2020 draft / return to school

JO_75

Hall of Famer
wow, that's surprising

Yep, very surprising to me. I had just finished working on a mock draft I was going to post but.... now I have to redo the top of the draft. Maybe family will convince him to change his mind. Maybe he wants to get his degree first then declare. If he remains a top player then he should be the number two pick in the 2021 Draft after Trevor Lawrence.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Giants fans are now weeping...... also change your mock drafts.

This is a major shock. Usually I'm all for staying in school but this is not a good choice imo. You can always go back and get a degree.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

That list is sure gonna grow. Not a real big proponent of these guys sitting out their bowl games tho. So many different ways to get injured plus I'm sure they have insurance policies. Just seems to be dumping on your team and I don't care if its the reeses pieces humpty dumpty bowl.The Jaylon Smith effect really trickled down.

Yetur Gross Matos is playing tho and I think he'd be a nice fit here.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That list is sure gonna grow. Not a real big proponent of these guys sitting out their bowl games tho. So many different ways to get injured plus I'm sure they have insurance policies. Just seems to be dumping on your team and I don't care if its the reeses pieces humpty dumpty bowl.The Jaylon Smith effect really trickled down.

Yetur Gross Matos is playing tho and I think he'd be a nice fit here.
I'm with you 100% on players sitting bowl games. I can understand guys who had trouble with serious injuries during heir college careers, seniors in particular but this is becoming ridiculous.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm with you 100% on players sitting bowl games. I can understand guys who had trouble with serious injuries during heir college careers, seniors in particular but this is becoming ridiculous.

ive got no problem with it really - these arent games that matter in the grand scheme of things and if you know you're entering the draft this offseason then why risk it - if you think you've put enough on tape already then that's all that matters - the season's over - sitting out the playoffs would be different but a bowl game i really dont mind - its a chance to show out for those that think they can improve their stock and its not like it matters to the colleges either - their season is also over

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
ive got no problem with it really - these arent games that matter in the grand scheme of things and if you know you're entering the draft this offseason then why risk it - if you think you've put enough on tape already then that's all that matters - the season's over - sitting out the playoffs would be different but a bowl game i really dont mind - its a chance to show out for those that think they can improve their stock and its not like it matters to the colleges either - their season is also over

Yes these games do matter. First off the winner gets the higher amount of the game purse. All the bowls also allocate a certain dollar amount that gets divided up to each conf so even non bowl participants get an even amount of the pie. You also have sponsers of these bowl games that are wanting the best game possible so their commercials are being watched. You also have diehard fans of these teams that have religiously went to these games. It should also be understood the public colleges athletic scholarships are 65% taxpayer funded (the fans) In other words you want the best ratings and attendance you can get and this is also major to local businesses that are in that area. Lets say Jake Fromm and both his OTs sit out the Sugar Bowl. Will it hurt attendance and ratings? What if Fromm gets injured cuz his best teammates aren't on the field? While I understand the athletes have made bookoo bucks for the college football industry these schools also gave them the chance and exposure on a free ride. Now you're leaving before the end of a season for supposed personal gain. Take the pos Will Grier. It didn't help his draft status. His team looked like shit and his team was embarrassed.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-payouts/

You know what would be a fair trade off? Give up the rest of your scholarship. Then you can come back and finish your degree with your new found wealth.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes these games do matter. First off the winner gets the higher amount of the game purse. All the bowls also allocate a certain dollar amount that gets divided up to each conf so even non bowl participants get an even amount of the pie. You also have sponsers of these bowl games that are wanting the best game possible so their commercials are being watched. You also have diehard fans of these teams that have religiously went to these games. It should also be understood the public colleges athletic scholarships are 65% taxpayer funded (the fans) In other words you want the best ratings and attendance you can get and this is also major to local businesses that are in that area. Lets say Jake Fromm and both his OTs sit out the Sugar Bowl. Will it hurt attendance and ratings? What if Fromm gets injured cuz his best teammates aren't on the field? While I understand the athletes have made bookoo bucks for the college football industry these schools also gave them the chance and exposure on a free ride. Now you're leaving before the end of a season for supposed personal gain. Take the pos Will Grier. It didn't help his draft status. His team looked like shit and his team was embarrassed.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-payouts/

You know what would be a fair trade off? Give up the rest of your scholarship. Then you can come back and finish your degree with your new found wealth.

um - why would the players care about their college getting tons of money from them playing and winning game purse - those players dont see anything from that so there's no reason they should care about the financial elements

and i dont know that it hurts your draft status but it certainly stops you from getting injured and having that disaster scenario that loses you money (and future money)

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
um - why would the players care about their college getting tons of money from them playing and winning game purse - those players dont see anything from that so there's no reason they should care about the financial elements

and i dont know that it hurts your draft status but it certainly stops you from getting injured and having that disaster scenario that loses you money (and future money)

Loyalty. To your school. To your team. To your fans. Again you was given chances with plenty of exposure as I stated earlier. Injuries can happen thru life in general in many diffrent ways.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Loyalty. To your school. To your team. To your fans. Again you was given chances with plenty of exposure as I stated earlier. Injuries can happen thru life in general in many diffrent ways.

But loyalty’s worth nothing because these players don’t get paid - so why risk your only chance to make money in this thing that you’re good at

And the exposure is bullshit because they don’t get to market themselves with that exposure they’ve been given because it’s against ncaa rules

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
But loyalty’s worth nothing because these players don’t get paid - so why risk your only chance to make money in this thing that you’re good at

And the exposure is bullshit because they don’t get to market themselves with that exposure they’ve been given because it’s against ncaa rules

You are getting a free education. How much is that worth in dollars? The exposure is also not bullshit when a college is doing its job by showcasing you for future prospects. Isnt that what colleges are for? To prepare you? Its also not only football they're preparing you for but multiple other chances. I can only see selfishness when there's abandonment. Give up the rest of your scholarship. If you want to finish your studies pay for it.

One thing I agree with you on is the marketing. Stupid rule.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You are getting a free education. How much is that worth in dollars? The exposure is also not bullshit when a college is doing its job by showcasing you for future prospects. Isnt that what colleges are for? To prepare you? Its also not only football they're preparing you for but multiple other chances. I can only see selfishness when there's abandonment. Give up the rest of your scholarship. If you want to finish your studies pay for it.

One thing I agree with you on is the marketing. Stupid rule.

right but you're hamstringing these guys - yes you are giving them a free higher education that they probably cant afford anyway (no one seemingly can) but they aren't being given money to actually live off in college - they still have to pay for accommodation if it's not provided as well as deal with the costs of living in a place that likely isnt near where they grew up and any support system they might have - and so the marketing isnt just a secondary issue - it's a deal-breaker because you're fundamentally taking away their best source of income which is the thing they got the scholarship for

ill put it this way also - people on scholarships in british universities are not expected to work for free - they are expected to get involved with the activities that they have the scholarship for but if the university asks them to work/do a job then they would fully expect to be paid for that job

at the moment college football is like having a 4 year unpaid internship which is illegal in most countries

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
right but you're hamstringing these guys - yes you are giving them a free higher education that they probably cant afford anyway (no one seemingly can) but they aren't being given money to actually live off in college - they still have to pay for accommodation if it's not provided as well as deal with the costs of living in a place that likely isnt near where they grew up and any support system they might have - and so the marketing isnt just a secondary issue - it's a deal-breaker because you're fundamentally taking away their best source of income which is the thing they got the scholarship for

ill put it this way also - people on scholarships in british universities are not expected to work for free - they are expected to get involved with the activities that they have the scholarship for but if the university asks them to work/do a job then they would fully expect to be paid for that job

at the moment college football is like having a 4 year unpaid internship which is illegal in most countries
actually when a player is offered a scholarship, atleast the top recruits have a full ride, including room and board. They may not have any additional money and that is where I agree that they should be able to market themselves.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

You need to read this. Its not long but there is a lot of assistance provided to lower income players.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...get-paid-and-remain-eligible-for-their-sport/

It talks about marketing on #10. I believe this will lighten up soon but paychecks for playing absolutely no way since I've found out scholarships for public colleges is 87% taxpayer funded. Way higher than what I posted earlier before.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You need to read this. Its not long but there is a lot of assistance provided to lower income players.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...get-paid-and-remain-eligible-for-their-sport/

It talks about marketing on #10. I believe this will lighten up soon but paychecks for playing absolutely no way since I've found out scholarships for public colleges is 87% taxpayer funded. Way higher than what I posted earlier before.

that seems pretty exploitative to me - the value equivalency between the product the players create (and the earnings they create for universities etc.) far exceeds the amount they are recompensed

the fact it puts a cap on their earnings no matter their ability or value to their university is ridiculously anti-competitive - if you're treating the scholarship as earnings then there needs to be a competitive market under capitalistic forces and there isnt