• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Well Donald no longer has the biggest contract, Bears just made Mack the highest paid player overall. 6 yrs 141m 90m guaranteed

That's insane and ridiculous. I know Reggie wanted to keep him but Gruden made the right call looking at that contract.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The Bills cutting Corey Coleman speaks volumes to how big of a bust he has been.

I remember getting in very heated discussions with a certain member on the old boards and I know Truth was a huge fan, but Coleman has been nothing short of abysmal.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The Bills cutting Corey Coleman speaks volumes to how big of a bust he has been.

I remember getting in very heated discussions with a certain member on the old boards and I know Truth was a huge fan, but Coleman has been nothing short of abysmal.
They also said they haven't been "too impressed" with his attitude since the arrival to Buffalo.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I’ll admit I was a big Coleman fan myself. I thought he attacked the ball incredibly well and played like your typical Mighty Mouse receiver like SSS and Anthony miller

I’d rather pay Mack $100 mil than Gruden. Just saying
I honestly think Gruden has been a complete disaster since joining the raiders. It seems like almost every move he’s made fucking blows. I also can’t imagine trading away the best player on your team who is HOF caliber. I mean yeah the extra firsts are pretty nice but this dude calling the shots thought kolton miller was worth a top 15 pick...so yeah not sure I want him stearing the ship.

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I’ll admit I was a big Coleman fan myself. I thought he attacked the ball incredibly well and played like your typical Mighty Mouse receiver like SSS and Anthony miller
I hated him. Thought he got beat up by too many throws over the middle and showed unsure hands over the middle. I thought he was nothing more than a deep ball, sideline player who had a good vertical and curl route.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly think Gruden has been a complete disaster since joining the raiders. It seems like almost every move he’s made fucking blows. I also can’t imagine trading away the best player on your team who is HOF caliber. I mean yeah the extra firsts are pretty nice but this dude calling the shots thought kolton miller was worth a top 15 pick...so yeah not sure I want him stearing the ship.
I didn’t like Kolton but to be fair a lot of Gms did. Decosta said something along the lines of him being one of his favorite players in the draft. So...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

He was starting to come around before his injury in his rookie year, but his attitude and lack of work ethic is what will keep him from succeeding. I think he has a ton of talent though.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

"It was in the final hour that it kind of just -- it hit hard and heavy. It was not a plan to trade him at all." - GM Reggie McKenzie

Gruden basically took over and traded him regardless of McKenzie's opinions. I know that the Raiders would have been cap strapped for years if they gave him that contract along with Derek Carr's contract but this just has disaster written all over it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
"It was in the final hour that it kind of just -- it hit hard and heavy. It was not a plan to trade him at all." - GM Reggie McKenzie

Gruden basically took over and traded him regardless of McKenzie's opinions. I know that the Raiders would have been cap strapped for years if they gave him that contract along with Derek Carr's contract but this just has disaster written all over it.

the owners didnt want to get rid of him either to be fair - gruden won the power battle so this idea that it was about upfront money is a bit half-baked too

in terms of money - yes they have to pay his signing bonus and some of the first year base up front (and yes there were guarantees in future years - but that's not extra money on top of the max value of his contract and lets be real he was gonna max out the value of his contract)

and with the loss of mack they've lost a huge number of jersey sales and merch sales that would have made tons of money moving towards vegas too - they may be tight financially right now but they're not too tight to pay mack and they'll make that money back easy peasy (if they didnt then the salary cap is functioning properly)

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
the owners didnt want to get rid of him either to be fair - gruden won the power battle so this idea that it was about upfront money is a bit half-baked too

in terms of money - yes they have to pay his signing bonus and some of the first year base up front (and yes there were guarantees in future years - but that's not extra money on top of the max value of his contract and lets be real he was gonna max out the value of his contract)

and with the loss of mack they've lost a huge number of jersey sales and merch sales that would have made tons of money moving towards vegas too - they may be tight financially right now but they're not too tight to pay mack and they'll make that money back easy peasy (if they didnt then the salary cap is functioning properly)
The Raiders were already a fairly poor team to begin with and you have to factor in the fact that they have to pay a $350M moving fee for Las Vegas.

But let me ask this- why would Gruden want to get rid of Khalil Mack?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Raiders were already a fairly poor team to begin with and you have to factor in the fact that they have to pay a $350M moving fee for Las Vegas.

But let me ask this- why would Gruden want to get rid of Khalil Mack?

how would i know?
but when the owners and gm want to keep him and he still gets traded then you have to think there's an agenda from gruden

my only guess is he wants to clear out all the mckenzie guys

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
how would i know?
but when the owners and gm want to keep him and he still gets traded then you have to think there's an agenda from gruden

my only guess is he wants to clear out all the mckenzie guys
I see zero reason that Gruden would want to get rid of a former DPoY unless he realizes that the Raiders do not have money and paying Mack that type of money (assuming they even could with the move to Las Vegas) would strap the Raiders for future years. It's really easy to say they have the cap space or the money now, but they'd be, essentially, paying two quarterbacks and we've seen teams get over zealous in FA and screw themselves in future years with their cap (looking at you, Jacksonville). 2020 is gonna be a really big year for them in free agency.

And I'm very sure the Raiders FO DID want to keep Mack, the same way that I'm sure the Ravens wanted to keep players like Torey, Osemele, Wagner, etc. It just doesn't always work out that way.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I see zero reason that Gruden would want to get rid of a former DPoY unless he realizes that the Raiders do not have money and paying Mack that type of money (assuming they even could with the move to Las Vegas) would strap the Raiders for future years. It's really easy to say they have the cap space or the money now, but they'd be, essentially, paying two quarterbacks and we've seen teams get over zealous in FA and screw themselves in future years with their cap (looking at you, Jacksonville). 2020 is gonna be a really big year for them in free agency.

And I'm very sure the Raiders FO DID want to keep Mack, the same way that I'm sure the Ravens wanted to keep players like Torey, Osemele, Wagner, etc. It just doesn't always work out that way.

its clear gruden did not value mack in the same way that the rest of the league does
and its clear gruden does not like the idea of a player holding him hostage...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
its clear gruden did not value mack in the same way that the rest of the league does
and its clear gruden does not like the idea of a player holding him hostage...
I don't think anyone wants a player holding them hostage...

But like I said, this is a poor franchise with a relocation and other big free agents coming up. They couldn't shell out $90M guaranteed and $50M or whatever it was up front to Mack. That's $400M+ in a single year between Mack and moving. that's A LOT.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Sales of merchandise are shared around the league, so it doesn’t matter what team Mack is on, and they make much less than you would think per jersey sold. The only team this doesn’t apply to is the Cowboys for some of their merchandise.