• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Former Ravens Super Bowl winning Quarterback Trent Dilfer has taken a head coaching job with Lipscomb Academy High School in Tennessee.

Well ok then, didn't expect this.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes.... let the sinking ship sink even further.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Spoke with #Steelers S Morgan Burnett, who tells me he wants to be released from his deal before free agency. During his time in Pittsburgh, he felt he played out of position as a dime LB. Burnett, with 2 yrs left on his contract, wants a new start & a chance to play safety again
I am just loving all this steeler news. Such great news. Wonder what’s next

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes.... let the sinking ship sink even further.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Spoke with #Steelers S Morgan Burnett, who tells me he wants to be released from his deal before free agency. During his time in Pittsburgh, he felt he played out of position as a dime LB. Burnett, with 2 yrs left on his contract, wants a new start & a chance to play safety again

tbh this feels more like him trying to get ahead and make it look like he's getting released for his own mutual benefit rather than because they can save nearly 4m by getting rid of a player who's been pretty awful and would be due over 6m in cap space in 2019...

maybe it's a genuine locker room thing/positional thing but in all honesty he's been pretty awful for the last 2 years no matter what position he's played

JO_75

Hall of Famer
tbh this feels more like him trying to get ahead and make it look like he's getting released for his own mutual benefit rather than because they can save nearly 4m by getting rid of a player who's been pretty awful and would be due over 6m in cap space in 2019...

maybe it's a genuine locker room thing/positional thing but in all honesty he's been pretty awful for the last 2 years no matter what position he's played

Very true but we are going to enjoy this no matter what because when Pittsburgh is in disarray like this, life is good.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
ESPN reports that Mahomes could sign a record $200M contract when he is eligible to re-sign come 2020.

If that happens, the 31 other owners will hate the Chiefs for it. NFL has to reel in these QB contracts.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
ESPN reports that Mahomes could sign a record $200M contract when he is eligible to re-sign come 2020.

If that happens, the 31 other owners will hate the Chiefs for it. NFL has to reel in these QB contracts.
I think what will happen is that we will have more guaranteed money in deals to keep the total cap hit down. That being said, with the new CBA coming in a couple of years, 200m may not be that big of a reach

rossihunter2

Staff Member

When he gets that contract it will be post-cba - it’s almost impossible to guess right now what the salary cap will look like then but hard to imagine the NFLPA not fighting for more guaranteed money in contracts all around and a possibly a change to the rookie deals too - given the ever increasing income for the nfl and new streams of revenue inbound e.g. streaming, gambling etc. that weren’t even on the agenda in the last cba - I think it’s fair to say that 200m might not be out of reach as qbs finally start getting paid amounts close to their true positional value vs other sports

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
When he gets that contract it will be post-cba - it’s almost impossible to guess right now what the salary cap will look like then but hard to imagine the NFLPA not fighting for more guaranteed money in contracts all around and a possibly a change to the rookie deals too - given the ever increasing income for the nfl and new streams of revenue inbound e.g. streaming, gambling etc. that weren’t even on the agenda in the last cba - I think it’s fair to say that 200m might not be out of reach as qbs finally start getting paid amounts close to their true positional value vs other sports
Id say the CBA goes up 20m prior to the new CBA. After that, your guess is as good as mine.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad

Question: Do you know when the current CBA was agreed to? ...I can't remember if it was a while ago.