• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He really isn't quite right

abiscrazy.jpeg

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Cowboys signed Ezekiel Elliott to a six-year, $90 million contract extension.
The deal includes a whopping $50 million guaranteed. Zeke's $15 million annually not only surpasses Todd Gurley's previous league-high mark of $14.375 million per year, it officially makes the 24-year-old Cowboys star the league's all-time highest-paid runner and ties him to Dallas through the 2026 season. Archer reports Elliott will be on the field practicing Wednesday, but there's been no word on any limitations or timeshare as he settles back in post-Cabo holdout. Assuming he's good to go for Sunday, Elliott is a clear-cut top-five fantasy option in Dallas' season opener against the Giants.

Actual picture of Zeke right now:

giphy.gif

In this day of age, paying a RB that kind of money is ridiculous. On the other side, Cowboys can get out of the contract early if they want as 2021 and 2022 are only guaranteed if exercised the year before.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
In this day of age, paying a RB that kind of money is ridiculous. On the other side, Cowboys can get out of the contract early if they want as 2021 and 2022 are only guaranteed if exercised the year before.
Yeah, I am not a fan of giving RB’s big contracts like that.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
He really isn't quite right

View attachment 1672
Next chapter here we go! Brown seems to be a very difficult person, but idk how Mayock isn't questioned. Rookie GM without any prior NFL personnel experience .

@VicTafur

23m

Antonio Brown was unhappy about being fined and had an exchange with #Raiders general manager Mike Mayock on Wednesday. He was held back by a couple of teammates, sources said, and is now facing a team suspension.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
What should Mayock be questioned about?
About what he has done so far. They got talented guys with character concerns in FA, but opted to pick high character guys in the draft. What kind of strategy is this? Gruden does FA and Mayock the draft.

I also found this from a beat writer: "The final straw was AB telling Mayock he had the fourth overall pick and got the third-best defensive lineman out of Clemson with it" and he unfollowed the Raiders and Carr on social media. GG

rossihunter2

Staff Member
About what he has done so far. They got talented guys with character concerns in FA, but opted to pick high character guys in the draft. What kind of strategy is this? Gruden does FA and Mayock the draft.

I also found this from a beat writer: "The final straw was AB telling Mayock he had the fourth overall pick and got the third-best defensive lineman out of Clemson with it" and he unfollowed the Raiders and Carr on social media. GG

to be fair to AB he's not wrong...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

I mean, really, I can't question Mayock too much because even if Brown was an absolute diva and a headcase, if he had played and put up Pittsburgh-esque numbers, no one would blink an eye at the third and fifth round pick given up; in fact, most would praise the hell out of it after the Steelers were seeking a first round pick. However, the issue gets exacerbated by the fact that Brown has gone further off the deep end than many of us suspected he would. However, I think most teams would take that risk considering third round picks are far from a guarantee to pan out, anyway. At least Brown is proven.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I could maybe see an argument for Christian Wilkins, but there's no way I'd consider him worse than Dexter Lawrence.

i was more agreeing with the spirit of the argument than the facts of it but i dont know that im that sure that lawrence isnt better than farrell
either way the sentiment from brown is that it was a clear reach and i agree with that whole-heartedly

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
i was more agreeing with the spirit of the argument than the facts of it but i dont know that im that sure that lawrence isnt better than farrell
either way the sentiment from brown is that it was a clear reach and i agree with that whole-heartedly
I can agree with it being a reach. I was very much hoping that he (Ferrell) would be there when the Ravens picked, and thought that was a realistic expectation, so when he went fourth overall, it was very much like, "Uh.... wut....?"

But with regards to Lawrence, as a Clemson fan, it was so frustrating watching someone that big and that strong fail to do anything after his first season and never really take over the passing game the way he should have. He's going to be an absolute bull against the run because he is just so big and so strong, but he has got to learn to rush the passer consistently. But I like Wilkins a lot. I know he doesn't have an amazing first step or burst off the line, but the dude is surprisingly quick and nimble (obligatory dancing bear reference) and knows how to use his hands as a pass rusher and to bat balls down. I just worry about his ability to two gap, handle double teams, and how he'll be once the lineman are quicker as well. But none of this is to say that Ferrell had no flaws or red flags. Just that I don't think the other two were definitely better.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Another dickhead gets paid:

TYREEK HILLWR, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Chiefs signed WR Tyreek Hill to a three-year, $54 million contract extension through 2022.
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal includes $35 million in guarantees. It's nice payday for the fourth-year field-stretcher, whose $18-million annual salary matches Odell Beckham for the second-highest among wide receivers. Hill's sordid past including a domestic violence arrest in college and recent allegations of child abuse have made him a controversial figure, though his on-field impact has been immeasurable for the Chiefs, who enter the year as Super Bowl favorites. One of the fastest receivers the game has ever seen, Hill remains an almost impossible matchup for opposing DBs. The 2016 fifth-rounder had been in the final year of his rookie deal.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 6, 2019, 11:55 AM ET

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

• ANTONIO BROWNWR, OAKLAND RAIDERS

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, there is now a "real chance" Antonio Brown plays in Monday's Week 1 game against the Broncos.
    Sometimes real life truly is stranger than fiction, particularly when it involves Antonio Brown. Word out of Oakland was that the Raiders were planning to suspend Brown for their season opener with some thought even given to voiding his contract due to detrimental conduct. But after apologizing in emotional fashion at a team meeting Friday morning, the Raiders have begun to rethink their hard stance on Antonio and may let him suit up Monday night. Brown has been given countless chances to correct his behavior this offseason with little change in temperament, but it sounds like the Raiders are willing to give him another shot. There aren't many work environments where you'd be allowed to keep your job after threatening the boss, but obviously the NFL isn't your typical 9-5. The Raiders may let this one slide, but the erratic Brown remains a ticking time bomb. It's only a matter of time until his next saga.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Sep 6, 2019, 12:47 PM ET