• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If 7 teams were allowed in the playoffs in 2017, we wouldn't have been in that go or go home situation in week 17 with the Bills as we would have made it as the 7th team that year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If 7 teams were allowed in the playoffs in 2017, we wouldn't have been in that go or go home situation in week 17 with the Bills as we would have made it as the 7th team that year.

we also would not have been knocked out by the AB td the year before - Harbs and Flacco's record might have been only 2 years total of missing the playoffs from 2008 to 2017 rather than 3 in a row (and 4 in 5) and we might not have drafted Lamar...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm really surprised that there's nothing (at least nothing reported yet) about expanded rosters or removing gameday inactives especially if the season is going to be longer

ngl the players seem to have got some financial things out of this CBA deal but have got them for basically ceding to all the things the NFL wanted - without having actually seen the CBA proposal ill admit - but i would not be particularly happy as a player about this deal

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm really surprised that there's nothing (at least nothing reported yet) about expanded rosters or removing gameday inactives especially if the season is going to be longer

ngl the players seem to have got some financial things out of this CBA deal but have got them for basically ceding to all the things the NFL wanted - without having actually seen the CBA proposal ill admit - but i would not be particularly happy as a player about this deal

Well Im hoping the NFLPA gets a better deal but with the same leadership???..... We'll see.

My opinion get rid of the inactive list and pay the practice squad no less than the minimal NFL salary and be able to use this as a shuttle system with no poaching allowed. Gives more money to the players with more employment. Also real big to me but I cant see why teams cant get 2 offweeks even with a 16 game schedule. With this you can stretch the regular season into a 19 or 20 week schedule which to me is a win for the fans and gives the players more rest. No brainer if its a 17 game schedule. More things I would fight for is getting rid of the 5th yr option and limiting the franchize tag to one use per team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well Im hoping the NFLPA gets a better deal but with the same leadership???..... We'll see.

My opinion get rid of the inactive list and pay the practice squad no less than the minimal NFL salary and be able to use this as a shuttle system with no poaching allowed. Gives more money to the players with more employment. Also real big to me but I cant see why teams cant get 2 offweeks even with a 16 game schedule. With this you can stretch the regular season into a 19 or 20 week schedule which to me is a win for the fans and gives the players more rest. No brainer if its a 17 game schedule. More things I would fight for is getting rid of the 5th yr option and limiting the franchize tag to one use per team.

i think the 17 game proposal is supposed to include an extra bye week too so would be a 19 week season

the more details i see from this proposed deal the less likely i think it is the players agree to this

Last edited:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
To piggyback off @rossihunter2 's comments, there's no way I'd vote for this if this doesn't include expanding rosters. Now I wonder if this rule is in effect where starters can only play 16 games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To piggyback off @rossihunter2 's comments, there's no way I'd vote for this if this doesn't include expanding rosters. Now I wonder if this rule is in effect where starters can only play 16 games.

im watching all the nfl.com insiders spinning the hell out of this and ive never seen anything so transparent - my feed is all of the insiders posting a point and then a few minutes later going - 'to clarify - this is good for players because of ... even though it looks like they dont get much ...'

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With reducing practices and practice time they have to make rosters bigger or else depth talent will not develop - young players without draft pedigree will find themselves on the chopping block quicker with fewer opportunities to prove themselves

a larger roster size creates space for players to redshirt through a season at higher salaries than practice squad players but with playbook security

the practice squad is being increased in size according to these proposals so why not the actual roster?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
im watching all the nfl.com insiders spinning the hell out of this and ive never seen anything so transparent - my feed is all of the insiders posting a point and then a few minutes later going - 'to clarify - this is good for players because of ... even though it looks like they dont get much ...'

With reducing practices and practice time they have to make rosters bigger or else depth talent will not develop - young players without draft pedigree will find themselves on the chopping block quicker with fewer opportunities to prove themselves

a larger roster size creates space for players to redshirt through a season at higher salaries than practice squad players but with playbook security

the practice squad is being increased in size according to these proposals so why not the actual roster?
For any insider to say that "this is good for the players," they need to be drug tested immediately. Please, I want to hear a good explanation on how this is good for the players unless if they're talking about the revenue sharing.

You're also making it more difficult to evaluate recent draft talent especially for those bubble spots. If this new CBA goes through and expanded rosters are NOT part of it, I do not EVERRRRR want to hear this league talk about player safety again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was thinking the same thing, the players need to tell them no on this deal. Yes, the players get more money but the Owners would still be slapping the players union around and taking advantage of them.

id be surprised if this got to the players vote - the player executive team (or whatever they're called) have to vote on this first and i dont see them passing it but even if they put it to the players to vote ive got to think that they wont agree to it albeit 50% isnt that much

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Regarding roster sizes - finally some clarity

this helps - not sure its enough but its definitely better - 2 extra gameday actives, 2 extra final roster spots, 2 extra practice squad roster spots, 1 extra i/r returner - i think it would have been better if they shifted those 2 new PS spots onto the final roster but heyho...

still dont think this will get ratified by the players but we'll see

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Regarding roster sizes - finally some clarity

this helps - not sure its enough but its definitely better - 2 extra gameday actives, 2 extra final roster spots, 2 extra practice squad roster spots, 1 extra i/r returner - i think it would have been better if they shifted those 2 new PS spots onto the final roster but heyho...

still dont think this will get ratified by the players but we'll see

an't recall the last time roster sizes or game day rosters were increased. It has to be back in the 90s, because it wasn't in 2011.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
an't recall the last time roster sizes or game day rosters were increased. It has to be back in the 90s, because it wasn't in 2011.
What do you think will happen to the salary cap? I fear they will mess it up like the nba did a couple of seasons ago when the cap literally skyrocketed. I prefer to gradually increase it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so the NFLPA board didnt even let the proposal go to a vote
NFL owners seemed to indicate that if that didnt get agreed to there would be no time for new negotiations before the new league year - sounds like pointless hard-balling to me

especially as it seems to be that the players only major concerns before putting the proposal to a vote were to do with improved and longer healthcare from the league post-career as a counter-point for the extra games in a season i.e. if they have to put their bodies on the line for more time, then they want to have healthcare and aftercare to match that "sacrifice"

and if im the owners there's no way that if that's the only sticking point i let that draw out

clearly the NFLPA board thinks they're close to an amenable deal that they like and that the players will approve - if it only takes 1 extra concession from the owners on healthcare (or similar) then i see no reason why the owners should quibble given they've gotten basically everything they could possibly want out of this new CBA on these new terms

and yet there are owners out there who've already said there's no 'wiggle room' which is stupid

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So they may stop suspending players over weed...which may take place in 2021.. finally. Took America years to catch up and now finally nfl catching up. Guess there is hope for mankind after all