• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Some Pre-Free Agency News and Speculation:

- The Chicago Bears have released WR Taylor Gabriel and CB Prince Amukamara saving $13.5M in cap space for 2020.

- Despite being linked to Rivers, the Bucs are considering a two year deal for Jameis Winston which would pay him $27M fully guaranteed with a team option for 2021.

- Jaguars activate WR Chris Conley's 2020 Option along with S Jarrod Wilson's 2020 Option.

- Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery would welcome a "change of scenery" from Philadelphia. His contract makes it impossible for him to be traded given the $15.7M Cap in 2020, followed by $18.5M cap hit in 2021.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some Pre-Free Agency News and Speculation:

- The Chicago Bears have released WR Taylor Gabriel and CB Prince Amukamara saving $13.5M in cap space for 2020.

- Despite being linked to Rivers, the Bucs are considering a two year deal for Jameis Winston which would pay him $27M fully guaranteed with a team option for 2021.

- Jaguars activate WR Chris Conley's 2020 Option along with S Jarrod Wilson's 2020 Option.

- Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery would welcome a "change of scenery" from Philadelphia. His contract makes it impossible for him to be traded given the $15.7M Cap in 2020, followed by $18.5M cap hit in 2021.

i never saw any concrete links between rivers and the bucs except for where he was moving his family - re-upping with winston if only for a year seemed like the most obvious bucs option

Gabriel is someone i wanted the ravens to go after 2 years ago in free agency but ultimately he went elsewhere and we went after ryan grant and john brown in stead for cheaper deals

id rather we keep getting younger with the smaller athletic receiver types but wouldnt be against seeing if gabriel would come here albeit not sure he's as good a fit as he would have been in the flacco mornhinweg offence

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I hope more players feel like JJ.

I don't disagree but the depressing thing is that I think the owners win in the case of a holdout. They usually have extra income streams (our own Dick Cass said that buying an NFL team is like buying an expensive painting), so they can survive a holdout. The players have decidedly fewer options so they'll always be the ones that blink first like in 2011, and I feel like both parties know that even if they won't acknowledge it. All of that means the NFL can slowly erode the players' stake in the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What do you think will happen to the salary cap? I fear they will mess it up like the nba did a couple of seasons ago when the cap literally skyrocketed. I prefer to gradually increase it.
I believe it will go up, but not sure how much and only after the new TV deals are put in place.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Increasing Chatter at the Combine that the Panthers want to reunite Joe Burrow with Joe Brady.

12:28 PM ET (via Ben Allbright): Increasing chatter on the Panthers moving up
There is increasing chatter at the NFL Combine regarding the Carolina Panthers and them making a move up the draft board for the first overall pick. The feeling within some NFL circles is that there is some legitimacy to this rumor. Allbright and PFN are working to uncover more details on this situation.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This is not a ringing endorsement for Jameis Winston, coming from both the GM and Head Coach Bruce Arians. Both reference wanting to find out what's behind door number two.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Joe Judge is already one of the most annoying figures in football in 2020 and the new league year hasn’t even started yet - he is excruciating and comes across as a contrived idiot
Hahaha, I tried watching his combine presser and my watching lasted full 3 minutes.
He's talking to press like deputy principal would to primary school children.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hahaha, I tried watching his combine presser and my watching lasted full 3 minutes.
He's talking to press like deputy principal would to primary school children.

it's gross, patronising, and no way are the players going to enjoy playing for him - as soon as the giants stop winning games (and with this roster its highly likely they are bad again) the locker room's going to fall apart

dude is literally the 3 year letterman high school coach stereotype but at the NFL

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Joe Judge is already one of the most annoying figures in football in 2020 and the new league year hasn’t even started yet - he is excruciating and comes across as a contrived idiot

I still do not understand why teams still think hiring someone from the Patriots is going to bring change with "The Patriot Way" and whatever that is supposed to mean. Unless your hiring Bill Belichick, it's not going to work. Patricia will be gone after this year, most likely in the middle of the season barring a playoff run and Judge won't last long either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still do not understand why teams still think hiring someone from the Patriots is going to bring change with "The Patriot Way" and whatever that is supposed to mean. Unless your hiring Bill Belichick, it's not going to work. Patricia will be gone after this year, most likely in the middle of the season barring a playoff run and Judge won't last long either.

i mean its not a bad idea to go after good coaches from successful franchises but you have to actually look at the character make-up of that candidate

Vrabel is a really good coach with the right kind of temperament to be a HC and a good relationship builder and leader as well as schematically intelligent but also cohesive

matt patricia's a good coach - from what i saw of him at the senior bowl he's really good with the players too - i think he's probably been hard done by an awful roster

BOB on the other hand is an OC on a power trip right now - nice, interesting, clever guru kind of guy but doesnt seem like a HC to me

I will be legitimately shocked if Judge is successful - maybe BB was talking him up so much because he wanted a reason to get him off his staff lol

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
The players voted in the same leadership. Maybe they aught to look into who they're voting for more seriously. Just keep voting for same o same o. Its a problem in a lot of areas.
I would've liked two more things in the CBA: no franchise tag and an additional bye week.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would've liked two more things in the CBA: no franchise tag and an additional bye week.

And the 5th yr option. Completely unfair to a 1st rd draft pick. At least with the franchize tag only 1 use per player if it cant be gotten rid of. None of this franchizing on back to back yrs. I cant say enough about the bye week.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The players voted in the same leadership. Maybe they aught to look into who they're voting for more seriously. Just keep voting for same o same o. Its a problem in a lot of areas.

part of the problem for the senior players in the league is that most of the negotiations were going on while they were playing so the organising group may have been negotiating on their behalf and the demands etc. had probably moved on or the things those guys wanted werent going to happen but all of that was "resolved" before these guys finish the season so when they see the CBA they naturally are pissed off that the things they wanted arent in the agreed deal