• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer

This must really be Drew Brees' last season if they were willing to include another team and trade a second round pick to get Clowney. Unbelievable. Something tells me the Saints will be making a major trade in the Draft next year for a QB to replace Brees unless they really think Taysom Hill is their future.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Made my head hurt first time reading this.
Pretty standard transaction in other leagues besides the NFL.

Basically its trading cash for draft picks, which the NFL doesn't allow.

Its interesting that they denied it because, essentially, Houston/Cleveland did a similar deal in 2017.

After Houston signed Osweiler to that abysmal contract, they traded him to Cleveland AND and a 2nd and 6th round pick, and all they got back was a 4th rounder.

The real reason for doing the deal was to get Cleveland to absorb a large chunk of Osweiler's salary. I believe they subsequently cut him before he ever even made the roster. So fundamentally, it was a trade of draft assets in exchange for cap space, which is largely what this proposal was.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pretty standard transaction in other leagues besides the NFL.

Basically its trading cash for draft picks, which the NFL doesn't allow.

Its interesting that they denied it because, essentially, Houston/Cleveland did a similar deal in 2017.

After Houston signed Osweiler to that abysmal contract, they traded him to Cleveland AND and a 2nd and 6th round pick, and all they got back was a 4th rounder.

The real reason for doing the deal was to get Cleveland to absorb a large chunk of Osweiler's salary. I believe they subsequently cut him before he ever even made the roster. So fundamentally, it was a trade of draft assets in exchange for cap space, which is largely what this proposal was.

i think the texans and cleveland could get away with it because ultimately while the player was clearly less important than the draft pick and the money he did at least spend the whole of camp on their roster before ultimately they released him

everyone knew it was basically a cash for draft picks trade but they had the deniability of actually having a player on their roster

in this case the browns (or whoever it would be) would literally be getting a player and instantly trading him away so they'd have nothing to show for the trade except the dead cap space and the draft pick

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Dolphins name Ryan Fitzpatrick the starter against New England on Sunday. So it will be Fitzpatrick vs Cam Newton, and Joe Burrow being the only rookie QB to start in week one.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Perhaps Houston didn't want to pay Deshaun and Hopkins at the same time.

From Schefter:

Cardinals and WR DeAndre Hopkins are now wrapping up a contract extension, as @RapSheet said.
It’s a two-year extension that includes $42.5 million fully guaranteed, and ties Hopkins to Arizona for five years at $94 million - an $18.8 million per-year average.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Perhaps Houston didn't want to pay Deshaun and Hopkins at the same time.

From Schefter:

Cardinals and WR DeAndre Hopkins are now wrapping up a contract extension, as @RapSheet said.
It’s a two-year extension that includes $42.5 million fully guaranteed, and ties Hopkins to Arizona for five years at $94 million - an $18.8 million per-year average.
I mean... probably, though I'm pretty sure it has more to do with Hopkins not doing a good contract the first time, and him getting all diva-like midway through to get a new one.

Clearly it was all about the $, as he was trying to force Arizona to give him more of it as well.

I also wouldn't be that thrilled to be paying somebody like him $20M/year+ when he's like 32-33, which is almost certainly what this extension would be doing.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Deandre Hopkins is great but I don’t think he’s worth “highest-paid non-QB in NFL history” money
Its also a mirage. That title is only calculated based off a two-year extension amount.

He's still averaging just under $19M a year for the bulk of his contract.