• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
they've also got Myles jack long-term and just drafted K'Lavon Chaisson too

they should go the Dolphins route and make sure they find an offensive lineman with their other 1st round pick

The Dolphins are loving life - they've, as it stands, got a top 5 pick despite being a playoff team
Seriously. Building the trenches should be priorities #1 and #2 for them. At some point, they got to be tired of being the property of Derrick Henry.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
they've also got Myles jack long-term and just drafted K'Lavon Chaisson too

they should go the Dolphins route and make sure they find an offensive lineman with their other 1st round pick

The Dolphins are loving life - they've, as it stands, got a top 5 pick despite being a playoff team

Seriously. Building the trenches should be priorities #1 and #2 for them. At some point, they got to be tired of being the property of Derrick Henry.

Hopefully the Jaguars figure out their coaching and they make a good hire. I don't know what it is about the NFL today but it seems as if teams just think drafting a first round QB will save everything and completely forget how much offensive lines and coaching matter to that QB's development. Say what you will about the 2017 Draft and the what ifs about the Bears and Mahomes, but Mahomes isn't doing what he's done in KC and won a Super Bowl with Matt Nagy as his Head Coach. Look at Baker, Baker seemed to be on his way to being another Browns QB until they got Kevin this year and Baker with the proper coaching has turned it around. Tannehill in Tennessee, I wonder for the Jets if the right coach comes along, could Sam Darnold have a Tannehill type of resurrection with the Jets or another team.

Then obviously look at Cincy where Burrow is on IR because the Bengals failed to put an offensive line in front of him. Burrow is going to have the same path as Andrew Luck if they don't shore it up next offseason. On top of the coaching improvements for the Browns, they invested in their offensive line and hey what do you know. Look at Wentz who is basically going to be the next Andrew Luck minus all the hype that Luck had and we'll all wonder what if the Eagles offensive line held up more and Carson wasn't hurt as much as he was. I always thought that if Jacksonville didn't get Trevor, they need to take Penei Sewell.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

woof - tepper did not hold back here

i always find it weird when they make young coaches basically choose their own boss or help hire a GM who maybe isnt the boss... i get it when it's an experienced coach like Andy Reid or BB or Jon Gruden etc. but this seems odd

if they wanted to do it this way it feels like they should have hired the GM last year

especially as their draft picks and free agents have been pretty good this year

I think the days of a HC actually reporting to a GM are essentially over. I'm not sure how frequent that is in the league anymore. Both typically report directly to Ownership or some sort of football "czar", and they work together.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would love to know if this is ever happened before in the history of the NFL going into week 17...

The New York Giants go into week 17 being able to finish in 1st place in the division, or, could finish dead last in the division.

A win over Dallas + a Philadelphia win over WFT makes the Giants a 6-10 division winner.

A loss to Dallas + a Philadelphia win over WFT makes the Giants a 5-11 last place team in that same division.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would love to know if this is ever happened before in the history of the NFL going into week 17...

The New York Giants go into week 17 being able to finish in 1st place in the division, or, could finish dead last in the division.

A win over Dallas + a Philadelphia win over WFT makes the Giants a 6-10 division winner.

A loss to Dallas + a Philadelphia win over WFT makes the Giants a 5-11 last place team in that same division.

what's wild for the giants is that they could win the division and host a playoff game (and end up with at worst the 19th pick in the draft) or if they lose there's a possibility they end up with the 3rd pick (would need various results to go there way)

that level of variance is wild though

JO_75

Hall of Famer

The crazy thing about this, Rap Sheet was live on Pat McAfee's show when he got the news and had to leave the show to break this news.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This dude Judon. Boy I tell ya.....

jihad ward insinuating something similar

ngl JJ's been amazing his whole career - but this stuff really did seem corny af and completely fake - like he's talking down about a bunch of professional athletes... his teammates... and eviscerating them on camera for not working hard enough

i just find it hard to believe that would be the truth

it just strikes me as the classic "letterman" twitter meme statement type sentiment

and ive got no issue with Judon calling that shit out lol

slight sidenote:

im hella glad Judon wasn't around while Ray was still here because I feel like he would have clashed hard with Ray - dont think Judon appreciates corniness or anything he feels is even vaguely patronising or grandstanding or whatever

and love it or hate it - that was Ray's vibe down to his core

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

jihad ward insinuating something similar

ngl JJ's been amazing his whole career - but this stuff really did seem corny af and completely fake - like he's talking down about a bunch of professional athletes... his teammates... and eviscerating them on camera for not working hard enough

i just find it hard to believe that would be the truth

it just strikes me as the classic "letterman" twitter meme statement type sentiment

and ive got no issue with Judon calling that shit out lol

slight sidenote:

im hella glad Judon wasn't around while Ray was still here because I feel like he would have clashed hard with Ray - dont think Judon appreciates corniness or anything he feels is even vaguely patronising or grandstanding or whatever

and love it or hate it - that was Ray's vibe down to his core

Ehhhh. I see your point. Me personally, I think this is Watt just letting his frustrations out. It reminds me of Steve Smith from 2015 when he was calling out dudes for just being happy that they're on the roster. Like they didn't have that hunger or drive that SSS had.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ehhhh. I see your point. Me personally, I think this is Watt just letting his frustrations out. It reminds me of Steve Smith from 2015 when he was calling out dudes for just being happy that they're on the roster. Like they didn't have that hunger or drive that SSS had.

thats a bit different - i think the tone is a bit misjudged in watt's case

but substantively Smitty was being smitty but this is Watt calling out guys for supposedly not turning up for work and even trying to do their job which seems suspect as a claim to me

i think though it's mostly about the delivery - watt's delivery comes across as being overly-sincere and self-righteous which makes it seem grandstandy and patronising - and even if it's true it feels pretty counter-productive - this isnt gonna inspire his hypothetically slacking teammates to stop slacking - but it might make back-end of the roster guys not want to play with him

iirc wasnt steve smith calling out his old team too not the ravens (or maybe im misremembering)

EDIT: feels like i went a bit overboard on this one - to clarify i dont think what Watt did was heinous or anything like that - just think it was misjudged tonally and that i get why players like judon would think it was bullshit and all for the cameras - because it does feel that way

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
thats a bit different - i think the tone is a bit misjudged in watt's case

but substantively Smitty was being smitty but this is Watt calling out guys for supposedly not turning up for work and even trying to do their job which seems suspect as a claim to me

i think though it's mostly about the delivery - watt's delivery comes across as being overly-sincere and self-righteous which makes it seem grandstandy and patronising - and even if it's true it feels pretty counter-productive - this isnt gonna inspire his hypothetically slacking teammates to stop slacking - but it might make back-end of the roster guys not want to play with him

iirc wasnt steve smith calling out his old team too not the ravens (or maybe im misremembering)

EDIT: feels like i went a bit overboard on this one - to clarify i dont think what Watt did was heinous or anything like that - just think it was misjudged tonally and that i get why players like judon would think it was bullshit and all for the cameras - because it does feel that way
I guess for me is that if this was something I heard from Watt more often than not, then I'd be with you, Ward, and Judon. At least for me, who knows what's going on in that locker room. Perhaps there are a number of Texans players who have the body language of not giving a shit. I dunno.

As for SSS, I vividly remember him saying this about our sorry ass team in 2015 where everything was just............let's not say anymore about that god forsaken season lol.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another Left Tackle injury... this time to the Packers. Just like Ronnie Stanley, David had just signed a massive contract extension with the Packers. Sucks this happened, let alone happened in practice. Sorry @Ice Bowl.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
All eyes are on Michigan & Jim Harbaugh. Rumor is there will be an announcement of a new contract extension for Jim Harbaugh, but also a rumor going around that the Detroit Lions have offered Jim a 'big time' contract.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

what's wild for the giants is that they could win the division and host a playoff game (and end up with at worst the 19th pick in the draft) or if they lose there's a possibility they end up with the 3rd pick (would need various results to go there way)

that level of variance is wild though

No team has ever gone to the playoffs with 6 wins in the modern era or atleast since they have played 16 games. I don't even think it ever happened when they played 14.