• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you aren't refuting anything with fact, nothing at all and giving examples of European sports isn't an example at all. We are talking about the NFL and that is how I started my point way back in my first post. You stating that the overwhelming majority of fans don't care about nicknames and don't like their nicknames. That certainly isn't fact and you thought they wouldn't or don't need a nickname at all because it's only an American thing.

It's funny that you say I'm refuting opinions with more opinions when you do that in EVERY argument. You have not shown me any facts and you won't find any facts on this matter and it has now become so god damn stupid because you are totally turning this into a right vs wrong issue. The truth to the matter is you absolutely don't know your first point and can't prove it and shouldn't have stated it in the first place.

Say what you want from here and I'll let you have the last word, because I will not respond.
Well we do know that American sports teams don't need nicknames, because we have American sports teams that don't have nicknames. That's a factual statement, not an opinion statement. We also have an NFL team that will be conducting its second season without a nickname, and barring some dramatic turnaround from the prior year, will not plummet its revenue model to 0% and be forced to fold, because of widespread outrage by people rooting for a team without a nickname. That's only half rooted in fact to this point, but it will be fully rooted in fact in about 9 months.

So that alone is at least 1.5 facts, which is precisely 1.5 facts more than what you've displayed, on an argument which, as far as I can tell, is purely just "they should have a nickname because that's what they've always done". I don't think I need to explain the illogical issues with that argument.

As for what I "shouldn't have stated in the first place", well, to put it kindly, you're not qualified to make that determination.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well we do know that American sports teams don't need nicknames, because we have American sports teams that don't have nicknames. That's a factual statement, not an opinion statement. We also have an NFL team that will be conducting its second season without a nickname, and barring some dramatic turnaround from the prior year, will not plummet its revenue model to 0% and be forced to fold, because of widespread outrage by people rooting for a team without a nickname. That's only half rooted in fact to this point, but it will be fully rooted in fact in about 9 months.

So that alone is at least 1.5 facts, which is precisely 1.5 facts more than what you've displayed, on an argument which, as far as I can tell, is purely just "they should have a nickname because that's what they've always done". I don't think I need to explain the illogical issues with that argument.

As for what I "shouldn't have stated in the first place", well, to put it kindly, you're not qualified to make that determination.
I have to respond to this because you are putting words in my mouth.
I Never Ever said they need nicknames. Of course they don't need nicknames but I'd agree they will do it because the rest of the teams will do it.

BTW, their nickname now is Football Team. It is the Washington Football Team, not just Washington, so they do have a nickname and are currently referred to by Football Team. You still haven't found an NFL team without a nickname. For that matter there isn't a MLB, NBA or NHL team without a nickname either both of these statements are fact. If you want a percentage it is 0% of these teams don't have nicknames and that is a FACT.

That being said the entire reason I responded to your first post is from what you typed.....

My money is on them never coming up with a nickname. Frankly, nicknames don't really serve much of a purpose. Its a very "American" thing.

Again this is YOUR OPINION, which I disagreed with and my money is on them getting a "new" nickname to replace the "interim" nickname and I"d be willing to bet on it if you'd like. I think many others would take that bet also. Currently season ticket holders are voting on the name, just as the Washington Nationals had a vote.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have to respond to this because you are putting words in my mouth.
I Never Ever said they need nicknames. Of course they don't need nicknames but I'd agree they will do it because the rest of the teams will do it.

BTW, their nickname now is Football Team. It is the Washington Football Team, not just Washington, so they do have a nickname and are currently referred to by Football Team. You still haven't found an NFL team without a nickname. For that matter there isn't a MLB, NBA or NHL team without a nickname either both of these statements are fact. If you want a percentage it is 0% of these teams don't have nicknames and that is a FACT.

That being said the entire reason I responded to your first post is from what you typed.....

My money is on them never coming up with a nickname. Frankly, nicknames don't really serve much of a purpose. Its a very "American" thing.

Again this is YOUR OPINION, which I disagreed with and my money is on them getting a "new" nickname to replace the "interim" nickname and I"d be willing to bet on it if you'd like. I think many others would take that bet also. Currently season ticket holders are voting on the name, just as the Washington Nationals had a vote.
Conveniently you failed to acknowledge any of the MLS teams who don't have a nickname. Yeah they're called American too. Play right here in the US of A. Fairly popular sport here in the States also... just a few million followers. No biggie. I've yet to see those teams crumble, perish, or launch into a spectacular group therapy session because those teams don't have nicknames.

As somebody who lives in Northern VA and spends a ton of time in the DC area (unfortunately), I've yet to hear a single person refer to the former Redskins organization as the "Football Teams". That's not a nickname. I've heard thousands of people refer to them as Washington, I've heard tens of thousands still refer to them as the Redskins, and I frequently hear people simply call them WFT, which I guess in some backward arbitrary way, you could consider a nickname. I personally find the whole "Washington Football Team" concept pretty hilarious, because its sort of a slap in the face to the people who wanted the name changed to begin with. Basically identifying them as not intelligent enough to know that its a football team, so we have to announce to them that it is one.

I'll consider some type of wager perhaps. Ultimately I'm betting on Snyder being a somewhat smart human being and realizing that the "fanbase" is largely just sheep who will basically just accept what they get, regardless of what it is, but that's probably a losing proposition in the end anyway.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Conveniently you failed to acknowledge any of the MLS teams who don't have a nickname. Yeah they're called American too. Play right here in the US of A. Fairly popular sport here in the States also... just a few million followers. No biggie. I've yet to see those teams crumble, perish, or launch into a spectacular group therapy session because those teams don't have nicknames.

As somebody who lives in Northern VA and spends a ton of time in the DC area (unfortunately), I've yet to hear a single person refer to the former Redskins organization as the "Football Teams". That's not a nickname. I've heard thousands of people refer to them as Washington, I've heard tens of thousands still refer to them as the Redskins, and I frequently hear people simply call them WFT, which I guess in some backward arbitrary way, you could consider a nickname. I personally find the whole "Washington Football Team" concept pretty hilarious, because its sort of a slap in the face to the people who wanted the name changed to begin with. Basically identifying them as not intelligent enough to know that its a football team, so we have to announce to them that it is one.

I'll consider some type of wager perhaps. Ultimately I'm betting on Snyder being a somewhat smart human being and realizing that the "fanbase" is largely just sheep who will basically just accept what they get, regardless of what it is, but that's probably a losing proposition in the end anyway.
I'll give you MLS. I don't follow soccer so I was unaware of that. I wasn't just leaving them out to leave them out. However even including MLS it's a very low percentage but the argument still stands regarding the NFL and conversation started.

That being said, if the teams didn't have a nickname it wouldn't matter but I tend to like uniformity so it makes sense for all of them to have nicknames since the other 31 NFL franchises have one. Last I checked, the Washington Football Team was an NFL team. Football Team is absolutely their current nickname and it's used on all of their new merchandise as well. I've heard Skins fans call them Skins, Washington and Football Team. Even the major networks have referred to them as the Football Team and I live in Montgomery County. If you haven't noticed there are plenty of WFT fans there and they are all over the place for that matter, not just in Northern VA or Washington, DC..

The Football Team is only going to be the interim name anyway so it's not a slap in the face to anyone. Whatever the name changes to in the future it will have another nickname. I look forward to our bet.

Snyder is a fan himself as he grew up in the DC area and is a fan himself. He will want the team to have a real name.

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
You know it’s the off-season when people are arguing about nick names

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The NFL mandates that any players switching numbers must pay a hefty price of the existing stock of jerseys in order to do so. That makes this transition free for Patrick Peterson who becomes the first NFL player to announce a number change. He is choosing to wear 7 for the Vikings, what he wore at LSU.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Now it's official, everyone from the Bucs 2020 roster is back for 2021. No coaching turnover either, first team to do this.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Those who stay the same get worse...
just because everyone is back doesn't mean they are staying the same. We do still have the draft, but I agree if they were absolutely the same, they would generally wouldn't be as good as the previous year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
just because everyone is back doesn't mean they are staying the same. We do still have the draft, but I agree if they were absolutely the same, they would generally wouldn't be as good as the previous year.
Agree, but they're also picking in the back end of the draft, and they don't have a lot of notable areas of improvement. I've only perused their "need" list, but its obviously quite small and mostly just adding depth at certain positions. RB has been a popular mock addition, as has QB, Dline, and interior Oline.

It has the feel of a lot of your veteran, experienced, successful teams, where a draft like this is simply to add depth for injuries and get some guys that may not contribute for a few years. Pretty similar to like our 2012 draft, where we got like a starter like KO, but he wasn't expected to start right away and a lot of the players we drafted were just depth guys or situational players.

My overall point, which you probably already know, is that its premature to just assume that all players on your roster will continue to play at a high level the next year. Some will play better, some will play worse. Teams that get complacent and focus on "keeping the band together" frequently find themselves lacking depth and seeing players performing at a lower level. Why it's so difficult to repeat...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Every draft I begin to realize the media doesn't actually know what is going to happen. People said teams were going to trade in and out of the top 10, yet nothing.
yeah the media had been saying that the Pats would be trading into the top 10, then news came out that the Saints would be trading into the top 10 and it wouldn't be for a QB. It's all based on rumors and smoke and sometimes you just have to dig through the forest to get to the trees.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah the media had been saying that the Pats would be trading into the top 10, then news came out that the Saints would be trading into the top 10 and it wouldn't be for a QB. It's all based on rumors and smoke and sometimes you just have to dig through the forest to get to the trees.
It sounds simplistic, but trades are hard. I think the media pretends like these deals are just like clicking buttons and making things happen.

I can't prove it, but I would say, historically, a lot of the trades happening are less predictable than the one's you expect. Like we can talk about how the Saints WANT to come into the top 10, but that's a massive jump that would require multiple years of quality picks to get it done.

Like if New Orleans was moving up for one of the Corners, which is what everybody suspected, they would have had to get up to #7 to pretty much guarantee they get their guy. You would need to give up, at least, a 2nd rounder this year + your first rounder next year to make that jump. Me personally... I wouldn't give up that haul for even like Jalen Ramsey, who is a known commodity, let alone for a Corner who is not guaranteed to succeed.

90% of the time, teams stay where they are and pick who they pick. You see a lot more trades later in the draft as people move "less valuable" picks to move around the board, jump teams, etc.

Most of the trades that happened were very predictable. Chicago moving up once Fields got past Denver was predictable, and Philly moving up a little bit to get Smith was predictable. The Jets trade was a little surprising to me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It sounds simplistic, but trades are hard. I think the media pretends like these deals are just like clicking buttons and making things happen.

I can't prove it, but I would say, historically, a lot of the trades happening are less predictable than the one's you expect. Like we can talk about how the Saints WANT to come into the top 10, but that's a massive jump that would require multiple years of quality picks to get it done.

Like if New Orleans was moving up for one of the Corners, which is what everybody suspected, they would have had to get up to #7 to pretty much guarantee they get their guy. You would need to give up, at least, a 2nd rounder this year + your first rounder next year to make that jump. Me personally... I wouldn't give up that haul for even like Jalen Ramsey, who is a known commodity, let alone for a Corner who is not guaranteed to succeed.

90% of the time, teams stay where they are and pick who they pick. You see a lot more trades later in the draft as people move "less valuable" picks to move around the board, jump teams, etc.

Most of the trades that happened were very predictable. Chicago moving up once Fields got past Denver was predictable, and Philly moving up a little bit to get Smith was predictable. The Jets trade was a little surprising to me.
everything you said, is pretty obvious. To make a trade you need a partner and although you may have someone who would trade with you, the value has to be right. EDC said it yesterday in the PC. They had people calling for pick 31, but in the end we decided making the pick was best and I'm paraphrasing.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Think we all knew this was coming, feel bad for Hayden. The second we got from Atlanta for him turned into JK Dobbins.