• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
oh my god - him and bosa at either edge...
AFC West is an arms race right now

chargers have like only 3 big holes left on their roster at this point: RT, NT and CB and a ton of cap space and the 17th pick to do it with... god forbid they get jordan davis with the 17th pick...
Oh that's right, we don't have to play the Chargers next season!

*whew*

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
oh my god - him and bosa at either edge...
AFC West is an arms race right now

chargers have like only 3 big holes left on their roster at this point: RT, NT and CB and a ton of cap space and the 17th pick to do it with... god forbid they get jordan davis with the 17th pick...

Imagine if chargers get Jordan Davis. Lol. That would be nasty.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 3182
This is a snippet from a private Discord I'm part of. I redacted the name cuz of privacy, but the guy who posted it is a Steelers fan so of course, he'd be more in tune with the current events of the Steelers than we are.

Please be false.
I won't rule it out, but I'm not buying it. I think there may be no more desperate team in the league to get a high end QB than Carolina, and I think they'd give up a ton of capital to land Watson if he gets cleared enough where there's no long terms concerns. Would imagine Carolina would much rather deal him out-of-conference also.

Pittsburgh is pretty conservative when it comes to these types of decisions historically. I think they'll ultimately go the draft route with maybe a mid tier FA signing.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
chris ballard already deserves exec of the year votes for 2022 for not only getting a team to take on wentz's full salary but also to give them draft picks for him lol...

but who's gonna be the colts QB in 2022 because i cannot imagine they think the answer is sam ehlinger...

who are they gonna go after? jimmy g?
free agency looks like it's going to be a fight for jameis winston, teddy bridgewater and then the rest is leftovers... not sure the colts would see any of those as potential upgrades on wentz and if there's demand for those guys then idk that they'll be massively cheaper than wentz either (not that the colts are tough against the cap anyway)
I think that's the point for me. Its easy to say the Colts "won the trade", and they very well might have, but as it stands today, Washington is a better football team than Indianapolis in my eyes. Unless the Colts magically land Watson or Cousins, which I doubt, I'm not sure somebody like Jimmy G or any draft pick is going to be any better than Wentz on that team.

This trade feels like something that may take a bit of time for it to be a "win" for Indy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think that's the point for me. Its easy to say the Colts "won the trade", and they very well might have, but as it stands today, Washington is a better football team than Indianapolis in my eyes. Unless the Colts magically land Watson or Cousins, which I doubt, I'm not sure somebody like Jimmy G or any draft pick is going to be any better than Wentz on that team.

This trade feels like something that may take a bit of time for it to be a "win" for Indy.

i think it's a case of ballard realising that wentz isnt it and that they have to swing for something bigger with the understanding that if it doesnt work that they may have a better chance of finding a future guy next year

either way i think they knew that wentz wasnt working out for them and wasnt going to be the guy (even if he is better than the other available options)

because i think it's worth pointing out that i dont think washington thinks they've "solved" their qb situation by adding wentz either

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
or the chiefs
but we do have to face the (now) loaded broncos roster
yes, we do have to play the Broncos and we will be happy about it. Maybe this year we will be able to run against them and get our hundred yards prior to the last play.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think it's a case of ballard realising that wentz isnt it and that they have to swing for something bigger with the understanding that if it doesnt work that they may have a better chance of finding a future guy next year

either way i think they knew that wentz wasnt working out for them and wasnt going to be the guy (even if he is better than the other available options)

because i think it's worth pointing out that i dont think washington thinks they've "solved" their qb situation by adding wentz either
Agree. I think the Colts could have "afforded" Wentz if they wanted to, they just didn't want to. I just don't think we should be praising the Colts for a great trade until we see if that trade ends up benefiting them or not. The next QB they get (or even the next several) could easily be worse than Wentz.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agree. I think the Colts could have "afforded" Wentz if they wanted to, they just didn't want to. I just don't think we should be praising the Colts for a great trade until we see if that trade ends up benefiting them or not. The next QB they get (or even the next several) could easily be worse than Wentz.

But I think that “risk” of the next qb being worse is factored in by Ballard here... if the replacement qb sucks then they likely end up with a higher draft pick that gives them a shot at a higher quality player at qb that they haven’t had a chance to acquire really since they picked luck 1st overall

Worst case for the colts is that whoever they bring in to replace wentz is similar in play-level

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But I think that “risk” of the next qb being worse is factored in by Ballard here... if the replacement qb sucks then they likely end up with a higher draft pick that gives them a shot at a higher quality player at qb that they haven’t had a chance to acquire really since they picked luck 1st overall

Worst case for the colts is that whoever they bring in to replace wentz is similar in play-level
Well, I'm higher on Wentz than most others. I didn't think his season was all that bad. Wasn't all that good, and he looked terrible in the last must-win game, but I think they can do worse. I think he's basically as good as Rivers was, and he's significantly better than the guys they had between Luck and Rivers.

I also think that roster is too good to really suck bad enough that they'll get like a top 5 draft pick. Maybe top 10 in 2023, but I think even if you put like Ryan Fitzpatrick on that team, they'd still win 6 or 7 games. Especially in a division with Jacksonville and Houston.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, I'm higher on Wentz than most others. I didn't think his season was all that bad. Wasn't all that good, and he looked terrible in the last must-win game, but I think they can do worse. I think he's basically as good as Rivers was, and he's significantly better than the guys they had between Luck and Rivers.

I also think that roster is too good to really suck bad enough that they'll get like a top 5 draft pick. Maybe top 10 in 2023, but I think even if you put like Ryan Fitzpatrick on that team, they'd still win 6 or 7 games. Especially in a division with Jacksonville and Houston.

so it's good then that they're acquiring future picks to help them make a move on a 2023 QB (where i can already tell you that the top 2 picks in that draft will both be QBs as long as they both declare)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
so it's good then that they're acquiring future picks to help them make a move on a 2023 QB (where i can already tell you that the top 2 picks in that draft will both be QBs as long as they both declare)
I mean I guess, but they really didn't get much in draft capital. It was essentially a salary dump. They swapped second rounders this year, and Indy got a 3rd rounder this year and a 3rd (which could potentially be a 2nd) in 2023.

They essentially got a current year 2 and a next year 2/3. If they're in a position where they need to move up into the top 3-5 to get a QB next year, it'll cost a lot more than that to get that done most likely. Had they gotten like a '23 first rounder from the Commanders, I'd agree that would be valuable from a trade up perspective.