• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Right, because the person, aka their leadership style (or lack thereof) and how they don't listen to coaching, is the reason why Wentz got traded. He didn't get traded because he played bad. He was better than Philip Rivers ever was in Indy, and was easily the best QB they've had since Luck.

His TD% was 11th in the league. He doesn't turn the ball over (3rd lowest INT % in the league). If you're into things like Passer rating and QBR, he was 13th and 10th in the league.

Those are not stats of a bad NFL QB. They're stats of an average NFL QB. Average NFL QBs don't really get traded all that often either, and certainly not for three consecutive years. Average NFL QBs who are bad leaders and don't respond well to coaching get traded.

The latter is the most important aspect of this. If Carson Wentz was a great teammate, he'd either still be an Eagle, or he'd definitely still be a Colt. His play isn't bad enough to warrant the treatment he's gotten.

I would think that would also be further verifiable by the fact that Washington gave up multiple mid round draft picks AND are willing to pay the guy $22M to play for them, even though they likely know his leadership challenges.

If you want another comparison of how leadership matters... Carson Wentz, from a talent perspective, isn't much different than Kirk Cousins. Both have limitations as passers, but both generally take care of the football well, have won games with multiple teams, etc. One makes a boatload of cash for a team and stays put for many years, the other gets traded twice in three years. The difference between them isn't talent...
yep totally agree. Obviously leadership is an extremely important part of being a top qb in this league I don't need a comp on leadership, but agree he's absolutely similar to Cousins in that aspect, but I'd say Cousins is a much better teammate and was that way back in Washington also.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean in this case, its certainly a valid comparison.

If Wentz played at the level of Rodgers, would anybody honestly be that concerned about Wentz's perceived leadership issues, inability to be coached, etc.? Highly, highly, highly doubt it.

They've both faced much of the same criticism, and yet one gets paid a ton every year and wins MVP's, and one doesn't. That's the comparison. Aaron Rodgers doesn't play on three teams in three years and keep getting traded, because he's great. Wentz isn't great, and so he's seemingly stuck in QB purgatory.
I'm going to have to apologize. I didn't see the last paragraph at all. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong.

I definitely shouldn't be typing when I haven't had my coffee.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
yep totally agree. Obviously leadership is an extremely important part of being a top qb in this league I don't need a comp on leadership, but agree he's absolutely similar to Cousins in that aspect, but I'd say Cousins is a much better teammate and was that way back in Washington also.
Right, so why is a conversation about skills and talent relevant in this conversation? It's not really been a question of skills and talent with Wentz. He's not high end, but he's not low end either.

The only reason talent was even brought up (by me) is to show how one QB with poor leadership (Rodgers) overcomes it with world-class talent, and how NFL teams respond to that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
One of the QB needy teams is expected to make an aggressive offer for Watson. That is truly going to hurt our chances of one of the teams taking a QB in round 1, unless Houston ends up using the same pick for a QB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
hrwdpe1zb2n81.jpg

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I knew it... I knew he couldn't resist not playing. Brady returning to the Bucs in 2022.

Whelp.. on the bright side, at least I have a plan B now if that Ravens at Saints game gets moved to Europe

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Player for Player trade.

Browns traded Mack Wilson for Chase Whinovich. Whinovich didn't have a good year last year, but previous two seasons were pretty good. Mack Wilson was really starting to come along until his injury last year. Seems like a pretty even trade.