• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Summer Shocker: Panthers fire GM Dave Gettleman. Very strange to me that Jerry Richardson was upset with the direction of the team when they were only a year removed from being in the Super Bowl.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...ire-gm-dave-gettleman?ls=roto:FA:topheadlines

More from Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport:

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 2m2 minutes ago
Gettleman and Richardson had disagreements over team's direction this offseason. And some key players weren't fond of Gettleman. Still ...

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 44s44 seconds ago
One name to look at here: Greg Olsen. Gettleman was said to have drawn a hard line on redoing his deal. Olsen, of course, is a team captain.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
In February, the #Panthers saw President Danny Morrison resign. Assistant GM Brandon Beane left for BUF. Today, GM Dave Gettleman is out.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Summer Shocker: Panthers fire GM Dave Gettleman. Very strange to me that Jerry Richardson was upset with the direction of the team when they were only a year removed from being in the Super Bowl.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...ire-gm-dave-gettleman?ls=roto:FA:topheadlines

More from Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport:

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 2m2 minutes ago
Gettleman and Richardson had disagreements over team's direction this offseason. And some key players weren't fond of Gettleman. Still ...

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 44s44 seconds ago
One name to look at here: Greg Olsen. Gettleman was said to have drawn a hard line on redoing his deal. Olsen, of course, is a team captain.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
In February, the #Panthers saw President Danny Morrison resign. Assistant GM Brandon Beane left for BUF. Today, GM Dave Gettleman is out.

what an absolute tyre fire of an ownership decision

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
DE87TauUAAIc42p.jpg:large

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Terrible move by the Panthers, whoever ends up hiring Gettleman and John Dorsey(fired by the Chiefs) will get 2 good GMs next year. The Panthers were in cap hell by their former GM. Gettleman came in and got them out of it and built a Super Bowl team. Dorsey had a great run in KC that was always going to be hindered by Alex Smith holding the team back.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So some news on the Franchise Tag Deadline. Both Kirk Cousins and Le'Veon Bell did not reach a long term deal with their respective teams and will play out the 2017 season under the Tag.

- Regarding the Redskins, it was said they needed time last year to evaluate Kirk Cousins. This year, Kirk Cousins needs time to evaluate the team. If that's the case, I expect him to leave after this season unless they put the transition tag on him next year.

- Bell says that there is no need to rush to sign when he feels he is worth more than he was offered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...re-time-to-make-long-term-decision-with-team/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-sign-if-i-feel-im-worth-more-than-offered/

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the franchise tag is probably a good option for bell and the steelers both - the steelers arent tied to a running back long term who has shown an inability to play a full season or be available in key games at the end of the year either through suspensions or injuries and bell gets a guaranteed large amount of money and the ability to hit free agency next year or sign a long term deal

cousins is just a case study in mismanagement - from the moment you think he's maybe worth a franchise tag he is instantly worth a long-term contract - you could even put in an option like the bills did with tyrod and incentivise him playing well again but they should have thrown a contract at him 2 years ago when it was cheaper and relations were better - he is now being paid a ridiculous amount of money because of the 2nd franchise tag which means there's an even higher starting point - and derek carr just signed a record contract which means they are just spending more and more money on this guy - they could be 2 years into a much cheaper deal at this point and probably a year away from being able to think about getting rid of him if he stops performing well but because they ummed and erred over a couple of million a year for a potential franchise guy they are now stuck waiting for cousins to hit free agency next year and sign a massive contract with the 49ers or browns - and if that's the case they might as well have got rid of him for some draft capital this year - i fully expect cousins to leave now that mccagnan is gone and bruce allen is running the personnell side of the team

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Apparently Mike Williams (R, LAC) may miss the entire season with a back injury.

The injury may have occurred at his pro day or the combine, but he hid it well enough to get drafted 7th overall.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I truly believe Bell will be gone by next season and a downfall of the steelers will commence. He seems to care way more about money than anything else.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I truly believe Bell will be gone by next season and a downfall of the steelers will commence. He seems to care way more about money than anything else.
I hate when players talk about feeling disrespected because they weren't offered enough money.

Dude, $12M is a life changing amount and you're worried about a couple million more per season? If money is literally your motivation for feeling respected, you've got issues.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Bell, imo, is overrated, and gets a huge help from his OL. People talk about his patience, but he can do that because he's got a great OL to open things up for him. When he doesn't look at what he got against us in the first game. Deangelo Williams produced equally behing that OL, so even if he were to leave the Steelers should effortlessly be able to replace him.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Bell, imo, is overrated, and gets a huge help from his OL. People talk about his patience, but he can do that because he's got a great OL to open things up for him. When he doesn't look at what he got against us in the first game. Deangelo Williams produced equally behing that OL, so even if he were to leave the Steelers should effortlessly be able to replace him.
Well yes it does help he has a good OL, but I don't think you can deny his patience and power. He has flat out trucked many of our linebackers (he's the one who gave Z Orr the injury to be looked at) and I get frustrated watching him dance around behind the line and still make gains. Also, as a receiver that guy can do it all. He is hurt a ton however, and can't stay off the WEEEDDDD lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hate when players talk about feeling disrespected because they weren't offered enough money.

Dude, $12M is a life changing amount and you're worried about a couple million more per season? If money is literally your motivation for feeling respected, you've got issues.

i cant begrudge him taking the franchise number for a year rather than the non-fully guaranteed contract the steelers offered him with no real increase on the 12m - and tbf he is right that running backs are severely undervalued and you could argue that he's right to ask for more given that without bryant he was essentially a top 3 (at worst) rb in the league and the 2nd receiver on his own team... rbs deserve some love monetarily given that the workhorses are so rare at this point... you could argue there are only 3 rbs deserving of big money in the league but all 3 are offense-defining and game changing players who change their franchise when they are on the field: david johnson, zeke elliott, and lev bell

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
i cant begrudge him taking the franchise number for a year rather than the non-fully guaranteed contract the steelers offered him with no real increase on the 12m - and tbf he is right that running backs are severely undervalued and you could argue that he's right to ask for more given that without bryant he was essentially a top 3 (at worst) rb in the league and the 2nd receiver on his own team... rbs deserve some love monetarily given that the workhorses are so rare at this point... you could argue there are only 3 rbs deserving of big money in the league but all 3 are offense-defining and game changing players who change their franchise when they are on the field: david johnson, zeke elliott, and lev bell
Taking the franchise tag is a massive risk if he injures himself again or gets suspended again for weed, which would likely result in 8 games to a full year. There's A LOT of risk involved for Bell here.

But let's assume that the Steelers offered $11M per year or so (that would make him by far the highest paid running back and get paid like a number two receiver) and said we'll even through in $29M guaranteed, the highest amount for a running back.

Bell comes back and says, "No, I want $12.5M per year and $32M guaranteed."

That's a difference of $7.5M potentially, $3M guaranteed. Let's be real, though, here for a second. As a second round pick, he's probably made like $3M in his lifetime already. $29M guaranteed puts him up to $32M, not even talking bonuses or endorsements. Is it really worth it to fight for $3M if you know the team loves you, the city loves you, the ownership loves you? Is it worth moving your entire family to go to a new team where you may not play better or may face a higher scrutiny with the chance to get cut?

The money is life changing. They aren't offering him like $100 per game. They're offering him hundreds of thousands per game. He could play like three games and be a millionaire.

It's absurd to me. Money isn't the sign of respect. How your team treats you is and it's showing that Bell doesn't respect the organization and thinks of himself as above the Steelers.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the franchise tag is probably a good option for bell and the steelers both - the steelers arent tied to a running back long term who has shown an inability to play a full season or be available in key games at the end of the year either through suspensions or injuries and bell gets a guaranteed large amount of money and the ability to hit free agency next year or sign a long term deal

cousins is just a case study in mismanagement - from the moment you think he's maybe worth a franchise tag he is instantly worth a long-term contract - you could even put in an option like the bills did with tyrod and incentivise him playing well again but they should have thrown a contract at him 2 years ago when it was cheaper and relations were better - he is now being paid a ridiculous amount of money because of the 2nd franchise tag which means there's an even higher starting point - and derek carr just signed a record contract which means they are just spending more and more money on this guy - they could be 2 years into a much cheaper deal at this point and probably a year away from being able to think about getting rid of him if he stops performing well but because they ummed and erred over a couple of million a year for a potential franchise guy they are now stuck waiting for cousins to hit free agency next year and sign a massive contract with the 49ers or browns - and if that's the case they might as well have got rid of him for some draft capital this year - i fully expect cousins to leave now that mccagnan is gone and bruce allen is running the personnell side of the team
I knew once osweiler signed that stupid contract last season thr skins would never get cousins back. Doubt he ends up in Cleveland unless both the rams and niners don't come calling.