• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I genuinely think it will be the funniest thing ever if he does not blow that many fourth quarter leads next season.

Still convinced he wasn't as much of the problem as a few members thought. He did things that pissed me off.. But still.
He wasn't all of the problem, I blamed him excessively, but I also gave a lot of credit where it was due, pees was brilliant until it came time to grow some balls and get away from your comfort zone with your veteran more disciplined players, and he also overthought things and got too cute way too often, like 4th and 12 showing a safety blitz with Eric weddle of all people and dropping him deep, along with showing an A gap blitz from Mosley but dropping him to the deep seam and making it impossible for guys to be in position.

That was the kinda play pees had become known for, he made things way too difficult for players to execute at times, if weddle was at the sticks when the ball was snapped and Mosley showed an edge blitz instead of an A gap blitz then everyone is in position to make the play, they didn't execute but pees did them
no favors and schemed them in a horrible position.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Omg no way Pees is already coming out of retirement. Really didn’t see that coming..

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Never understood why Dean got the blame for the collapses, but no credit for the excellence. At the end of the day it's all about player execution.
I slightly disagree. Execution is important, but coaching just makes a giant difference. There's a reason coaches like Belichick can get a ton out of role players that aren't great. In Pees' case, he did add to our problems by not having an athletic linebacker cover tight ends that were caring our defense up (Bowser), and not rotating d-linemen often, leaving our guys gassed by the 4th quarter. And it's not like it was an issue with just us, he did the same thing with the Patriots before they forced him out.

Yeah, he might not be the major issue, but he shares some of the blame for this reoccurring pattern throughout his career. As I said before, Pees is the Andy Dalton line for DCs. Not the worst by any stretch of the imagination, and can have moments of brilliance. And yeah, I'll give him credit for the good games. But in the end, he just never seems to really raise the play of the guys on defense, and rarely seemed to scheme to their strengths.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Just saw this stat.... Dean was here in Baltimore 6 years, during that time span we blew a grand total of 18 leads. 18 blown leads under Pees and with the exception of 2015, that is the reason we've been barely missing the playoffs.

Also if you really want to know that a lot involves his scheme, in 2009 when he was the Patriots DC they blew 3 4th quarter leads. Including a 31-14 lead over the Colts, gone in the 4th and a loss. Not even Belichick for as great as a coach he is, could coach well enough to overcome Dean's 4th quarter blown leads.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
His son was hired by the titans, that could've played a part, I think he was forced out of Baltimore and he was just calling it quits but vrabel hiring his son, he probably got a call and he just couldn't refuse.

Glad he's gone but wish him luck, he's the smartest dumbest football mind maybe ever. He's brilliant until he isnt

im of a similar mind - he's not fully responsible for the defensive collapses but i never felt confident watching that defence and i want to feel confident that at least we scare teams (outside of just the dime package) - id rather have a slightly more aggressive mind and not lose wondering what if rather than the death by 1000 cuts that we so often saw in the 4th quarter

he had a creative defence but it never got the stadium rocking - i want a defence that gets pressure (i know that sounds spoilt given all the ints) but sacks get m&t absolutely bouncing and i think that's been missing since 2014

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
That tells me we forced him into a retirement. And oh my god the Titans personel really do not fit his scheme
I dont believe that. His retirement rumors were starting a year ago. And ive read that he told people in confidence about it as early as training camp.

Not only that, Vrabel played for him for years, and as a first time head coach wanted trusted, experienced coordinators with him. And someone who knows the defense that Vrabel wants to run.

Plus there's the bit about his son joining the staff. All of these factors were likely unknown at the time of retirement... so i buy that it was legitimate.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Panthers Center Ryan Kalil has announced he is retiring after the 2018 season. Panthers LB Thomas Davis has already announced 2018 will be his last season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just saw this stat.... Dean was here in Baltimore 6 years, during that time span we blew a grand total of 18 leads. 18 blown leads under Pees and with the exception of 2015, that is the reason we've been barely missing the playoffs.

Also if you really want to know that a lot involves his scheme, in 2009 when he was the Patriots DC they blew 3 4th quarter leads. Including a 31-14 lead over the Colts, gone in the 4th and a loss. Not even Belichick for as great as a coach he is, could coach well enough to overcome Dean's 4th quarter blown leads.
I've always referenced his track record of late game collapses dating all the way back to the patriots, but a few select posters would always use the same line "the players need to execute".

I'm almost glad the 4th and 12 play happened because it perfectly illustrates why pees' scheme failed so often and why you can't always put it on the players. The players need to execute and the coaches have to put players in a position to succeed, and 2 key players were out of position on that play, not by their own fault, but because pees' playcall placed more emphasis on disguises and confusion than it did on allowing players to execute, leaving key players to be in catch-up mode from the instant the ball was snapped

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I slightly disagree. Execution is important, but coaching just makes a giant difference. There's a reason coaches like Belichick can get a ton out of role players that aren't great. In Pees' case, he did add to our problems by not having an athletic linebacker cover tight ends that were caring our defense up (Bowser), and not rotating d-linemen often, leaving our guys gassed by the 4th quarter. And it's not like it was an issue with just us, he did the same thing with the Patriots before they forced him out.

Yeah, he might not be the major issue, but he shares some of the blame for this reoccurring pattern throughout his career. As I said before, Pees is the Andy Dalton line for DCs. Not the worst by any stretch of the imagination, and can have moments of brilliance. And yeah, I'll give him credit for the good games. But in the end, he just never seems to really raise the play of the guys on defense, and rarely seemed to scheme to their strengths.

I believe this was his biggest weakness

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I have no problem with Pees, leaving... Just a problem with who we chose to go with. I'd love to see how many of those blown leads should have been blow outs, though. Many of those games the offense shit the bed for 3.5 quarters. I do wonder what the pass rush will look like this year. Maybe see some stunts?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
HOLY BEJEESUS - BREAKING NEWS:

Per Rapsheet: The Chiefs are trading QB Alex Smith to the Redskins, source confirms (as Terez Paylor reported). It involves picks and a player. Huge deal.

There is an agreement in principle for Alex Smith to go to the Redskins. The deal will be finalized tomorrow. This means Kirk Cousins will be a free agent. Mega-deal.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
HOLY BEJEESUS - BREAKING NEWS:

Per Rapsheet: The Chiefs are trading QB Alex Smith to the Redskins, source confirms (as Terez Paylor reported). It involves picks and a player. Huge deal.

There is an agreement in principle for Alex Smith to go to the Redskins. The deal will be finalized tomorrow. This means Kirk Cousins will be a free agent. Mega-deal.
Damn it, I was just about to post this.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Alex Smith is getting a new, multi-year deal with the Redskins, source said. It was part of the deal getting done.

New 4 year deal through 2022, so now the Redskins are out of the QB Race and I wonder why the Chiefs made this move now instead of waiting to hear more offers. The Super Bowl hasn't even happened yet and this happens.

Can we unofficially draft Calvin Ridley now?