• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Offensive Line Thread

The Raven

Veteran
He likes that food but probably doesn't eat it every day. Especially judging by him being in the best shape of his career. Offensive lineman most of the time could use a little excess weight so he doesn't get pushed around. But not to the point it hinders explosion and movement skills. Many OLineman need that little excess to keep them over that 300lb plateau. To keep from getting pushed and jerked around. Very rare you find an Oline mate at 305 and heavier without carrying a little excess. Unless he is one of those rare specimens that can carry 305 -320 lbs while maintaining a very lean frame like Tyron Smith. Osemele and Lewan aren't quite as lean but are very lean for a 320 and 330lb lineman.

If a lineman like Lewan can carry 320lbs without carrying to much fat it has clear advantages. However a lineman has to be careful not to carry to much muscle as well. Cuz that to can cause him to lose explosion and movement skills. It's all about the best balance.
If they need excess they can have a couple extra baked potatoes and another piece of chicken. Throw some pasta in for good measure.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
All I know about dieting is that if I were an NFL olineman making hundreds of thousands of dollars I sure as shit wouldn't be eating pizza and french fries. Hell, I hardly eat that shit now. I could see ribs and red meat sparingly but I'd be eating lots of chicken and turkey. I don't understand why he wouldn't want to maximize his ability.

Max should be thinking like this. If in his best shape he would be pro bowl maybe all pro!! He could be that TE that is a borderline NO.1 WR.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If they need excess they can have a couple extra baked potatoes and another piece of chicken. Throw some pasta in for good measure.

I agree. When I say excess I don't mean out of shape lol. Only the necessary structural functional bodyfat to help a lineman anchor. As in the bodyfat a good in shape lineman carries that a linebacker doesn't have. However if a lineman can can carry 310 lbs and be as lean as s LB without being to bulked up them that is a huge advantage. Think Tyron would be as good if he were not 315 lbs and as lean as a lb?? Would Lewan be as great if he were not nearly as lean as a LB at 322 lb?? you couldn't be more right. A lineman should try to play at best most functional weight. It could mean $$millions!!

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
I personally don't see the running backs as an issue.
I dont either. West can hold the fort down for 4 weeks. I dont think he will ever be a more than average, maybe slightly below average, lead back.... or a very good piece in a committee, but he can keep us moving for 4 weeks.

Dixon i have supreme confidence in. If he just stays on the field, i think hes going to be a great back. I know the sample size wasnt huge, but he led the league in some metric regarding broken tackles... maybe broken tackles per touch, or yards after contact per touch.... something along those lines. But, hes shifty enough to do damage in space, has enough speed to get to the edge, and that metric clearly speaks to his power. Plus his ability to catch the ball is top notch.

When I think of Dixon i just see later in the season when he was carrying 4 Steelers defenders for an extra 4-5 yards on multiple runs. First time he did it - i was like, wow! kids a beast.... then he did it a handful more times, and i became convinced - if we would just FEED HIM THE BALL and let him get going, he will be one of the better backs in this league.

I think Roman is going to be a godsend for this team and implement a running game that actually works. He makes things simple and caters to the strengths of his guys. Whatever it is - he just gets everyone on the same page, and gets OL moving people off the ball, and backs finding/hitting the right holes.

Add in Woodhead whose receiving ability opens up the run game. He gives us the ability to actually have some success with all the delayed shotgun draws we called last year that made you want to pull your hair out. Just a great 3rd down option w/ his pass catching, route running, pass protecting, and converting those 3rd and 4-5's that we do run bc he forces the D to play pass and then he gets up field in a hurry and gets across that line.

Im with you - no worries about the running backs. Center is my only real concern with this team. Pressure in Joe's lap, and our backs getting hit consistently 2 yards in the back field will derail any improvement we do make. Plus, having someone that can read a defense, call out protections and help w/ blitz pick up is huge because while hes improved - its never been Joe's strength.

I still think Mangold is going to get signed. Steve B talked about saving that last bullet. I just think they want him to be 100% healthy, and he probably didnt want to have to do OTA's and all that. But once TC starts, and they realize Urschel/Jensen probably arent the answer - Mangold will be here before preseason games start.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Are there any teams that have a decent Center who might get cut, or could be had in a trade?

Admittedly my knowledge of up-and-coming Centers isnt all that deep; but does anyone know of a good, veteran, starter that may lose his job to a draft pick or another young player? Or a young Center w/ upside thats stuck behind an entrenched starter?

EDIT: btw, according to NFL.com's AFCN Training Camp Primer; the Center battle is the most important on the team (which I agree with) but they have Brandon Kublanow and Matt Skura as the two candidates battling for the spot.

They then add.... "Jensen has also logged center snaps, while math wizard John Urschel could step in if need."

Do they know something we don't?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Are there any teams that have a decent Center who might get cut, or could be had in a trade?

Admittedly my knowledge of up-and-coming Centers isnt all that deep; but does anyone know of a good, veteran, starter that may lose his job to a draft pick or another young player? Or a young Center w/ upside thats stuck behind an entrenched starter?

EDIT: btw, according to NFL.com's AFCN Training Camp Primer; the Center battle is the most important on the team (which I agree with) but they have Brandon Kublanow and Matt Skura as the two candidates battling for the spot.

They then add.... "Jensen has also logged center snaps, while math wizard John Urschel could step in if need."

No, it's the offseason so they have to write rote on whatever - it's an admittedly under the radar position with no high profile guys involved so sessler likely looked at the depth chart at who we brought in and probably noticed afterwards that Jensen and urschel both are or have been listed as G/C - it is a wide open competition if the 1st team snaps are anything to go by though - the only one of those 4 guys not being run in the 1st team is kublanow

All I know about dieting is that if I were an NFL olineman making hundreds of thousands of dollars I sure as shit wouldn't be eating pizza and french fries. Hell, I hardly eat that shit now. I could see ribs and red meat sparingly but I'd be eating lots of chicken and turkey. I don't understand why he wouldn't want to maximize his ability.

This is what I'm saying, I mean it's obvious he never had trouble putting on weight and keeping it on so why not higher quality nutrition? he's leaving a lot of his potential on the table. Look at the difference Evan Mathis made when he decided to get in better shape, he went from unwanted to the best guard in football from 2011-2013

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

I like Jensen at center. He is back to his 2015 size but in better shape. He was the best graded guard in the NFL the last 4 games he started in 2015. Last yr he looked really small and it hurt his technique. He is back to 325lbs and leaner than 2015. He was very athletic for 330lbs in 2015. Some pegged him to play Tackle if needed. Now he is back to over 320 and in better shape. I'm very confident he could be an awesome center. Ravens biggest void in my opinion is the position Lewis don't play. Lewis could be a great lg and RT but the position he isn't playing is going to be a problem. Could be a really big problem if a player isn't found that plays well.

The Raven

Veteran
This is what I'm saying, I mean it's obvious he never had trouble putting on weight and keeping it on so why not higher quality nutrition? he's leaving a lot of his potential on the table. Look at the difference Evan Mathis made when he decided to get in better shape, he went from unwanted to the best guard in football from 2011-2013
Bingo. Evan Mathis was 300 pounds and looked like a sculpted Greek god. I'm not even exaggerating. He looked like an oversized tight end. I don't know if we ever saw him play in something other than the zone scheme, but even so he looked like he even got stronger after the "weight loss." From 2011-2013 Evan Mathis was the only guard I'd even consider taking over Yanda.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I dont either. West can hold the fort down for 4 weeks. I dont think he will ever be a more than average, maybe slightly below average, lead back.... or a very good piece in a committee, but he can keep us moving for 4 weeks.

Dixon i have supreme confidence in. If he just stays on the field, i think hes going to be a great back. I know the sample size wasnt huge, but he led the league in some metric regarding broken tackles... maybe broken tackles per touch, or yards after contact per touch.... something along those lines. But, hes shifty enough to do damage in space, has enough speed to get to the edge, and that metric clearly speaks to his power. Plus his ability to catch the ball is top notch.

When I think of Dixon i just see later in the season when he was carrying 4 Steelers defenders for an extra 4-5 yards on multiple runs. First time he did it - i was like, wow! kids a beast.... then he did it a handful more times, and i became convinced - if we would just FEED HIM THE BALL and let him get going, he will be one of the better backs in this league.

I think Roman is going to be a godsend for this team and implement a running game that actually works. He makes things simple and caters to the strengths of his guys. Whatever it is - he just gets everyone on the same page, and gets OL moving people off the ball, and backs finding/hitting the right holes.

Add in Woodhead whose receiving ability opens up the run game. He gives us the ability to actually have some success with all the delayed shotgun draws we called last year that made you want to pull your hair out. Just a great 3rd down option w/ his pass catching, route running, pass protecting, and converting those 3rd and 4-5's that we do run bc he forces the D to play pass and then he gets up field in a hurry and gets across that line.

Im with you - no worries about the running backs. Center is my only real concern with this team. Pressure in Joe's lap, and our backs getting hit consistently 2 yards in the back field will derail any improvement we do make. Plus, having someone that can read a defense, call out protections and help w/ blitz pick up is huge because while hes improved - its never been Joe's strength.

I still think Mangold is going to get signed. Steve B talked about saving that last bullet. I just think they want him to be 100% healthy, and he probably didnt want to have to do OTA's and all that. But once TC starts, and they realize Urschel/Jensen probably arent the answer - Mangold will be here before preseason games start.
You may be right about Mangold, both sides promised to keep in touch, and I can see an older veteran like Mangold looking to skip OTA's.

Bingo. Evan Mathis was 300 pounds and looked like a sculpted Greek god. I'm not even exaggerating. He looked like an oversized tight end. I don't know if we ever saw him play in something other than the zone scheme, but even so he looked like he even got stronger after the "weight loss." From 2011-2013 Evan Mathis was the only guard I'd even consider taking over Yanda.

Yeah, and I can guarantee he wasn't eating burgers and bbq.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator

I agree on basically every account. I do think significantly higher of West, but Dixon was one of my pre-draft favorites well before we selected him. It's a rock solid trio. And I'm with you about the concerns with regards to the OL. If Mangold gets rehabbed before the start of the season, he'd be worth a look.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

An offensive lineman that is 305-310 lbs with 12% bodyfat has far more functional muscle than a 330lb guard with 23% bodyfat. Of course you have to take into account the caliber of athlete. Some guys are stronger than he looks. But in general it is a colossal advantage for the player 305lbs 12% over 320lbs 25% bodyfat. OLineman are leaving a lot of potential untapped. By not maximizing muscle for power and fat index for more explosion and athleticism. Max Williams should be on his way to being a perennial pro powder as opposed to bust whispers

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Curiously enough, some medias are starting to name Matt Skura a favourite for the starting C position.
I never really watched his tape or cared too much about him, does anyone have some informations about him, his play, how he could surpass Jensen and Urschel?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree on basically every account. I do think significantly higher of West, but Dixon was one of my pre-draft favorites well before we selected him. It's a rock solid trio. And I'm with you about the concerns with regards to the OL. If Mangold gets rehabbed before the start of the season, he'd be worth a look.
And I remember when you pointed Dixon out to me in February of 2015.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Curiously enough, some medias are starting to name Matt Skura a favourite for the starting C position.
I never really watched his tape or cared too much about him, does anyone have some informations about him, his play, how he could surpass Jensen and Urschel?

It seems like every scouting report had Skura pegged as "smart with good technique" while being "but not athletic enough to succeed on the next level." Seems like there were mixed opinions on how well he could use his strength in the NFL. Saw him ranked as a prospect everywhere between Round 3 and UDFA.

My favorite line I saw browsing his scouting reports quick was "may struggle against upper echelon defensive tackles like Ndamukong Suh." lol. Outside of the top 6 or 7 centers, Who doesn't?

Anyway, it seems as though he could have had a mental advantage over Jensen and Urschel, both of whom seemed to struggle with knowing where to go. If he's been in the gym and working out hard, I guess he could have gained a physical advantage over them too. I don't know if the reports are worth considering or not, but it's definitely not impossible to think Urschel and Jensen could be passed by Skura- frankly, neither has proven to be dependable and it seems both have had more struggles than success up to this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the timing of these reports are suspicious - he shared snaps equally with jensen and urshcel through preseason so far and is only being tipped as the winner during the off-period - we definitely would have heard about it before now either from reporters at open practices or from mink/downing if skura had taken a lead at the position but we've had no evidence from any baltimore related media - just outsiders speculating

it suggests this is all conjecture based on limited understanding of that spot on our roster from outsiders but i could be wrong - the timing just feels weird that we would only now be learning about this

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It seems like every scouting report had Skura pegged as "smart with good technique" while being "but not athletic enough to succeed on the next level." Seems like there were mixed opinions on how well he could use his strength in the NFL. Saw him ranked as a prospect everywhere between Round 3 and UDFA.

My favorite line I saw browsing his scouting reports quick was "may struggle against upper echelon defensive tackles like Ndamukong Suh." lol. Outside of the top 6 or 7 centers, Who doesn't?

Anyway, it seems as though he could have had a mental advantage over Jensen and Urschel, both of whom seemed to struggle with knowing where to go. If he's been in the gym and working out hard, I guess he could have gained a physical advantage over them too. I don't know if the reports are worth considering or not, but it's definitely not impossible to think Urschel and Jensen could be passed by Skura- frankly, neither has proven to be dependable and it seems both have had more struggles than success up to this point.
LMAOOOO time to post the "you don't say" meme.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
I havent really seen him play - but the first time i really noticed him was right before Week 16 last year, when he was on our PS, and we gave him a big raise.

Went from PS level pay, to around $500k i believe. Thats a clear indication of how they feel about him, and that they didnt want to take any risks of him getting lured away. I cant recall many, if any, other times where we've done that for a PS player during a season... especially so late in the season.

They've definitely seen something they like. But, one caveat is that was when Castillo was still here.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
the timing of these reports are suspicious - he shared snaps equally with jensen and urshcel through preseason so far and is only being tipped as the winner during the off-period - we definitely would have heard about it before now either from reporters at open practices or from mink/downing if skura had taken a lead at the position but we've had no evidence from any baltimore related media - just outsiders speculating

it suggests this is all conjecture based on limited understanding of that spot on our roster from outsiders but i could be wrong - the timing just feels weird that we would only now be learning about this
well we havent really heard that Urschel/Jensen ran away with it either.

And if its even... maybe tie goes to the young buck. If its really that close, i say go with the younger guy that has more upside. Urschel and Jensen have been with us 3 years or more each and have yet to break through. Plus both of them provide depth at Guard... whereas Skura is more of a pure Center.

Plus they could be keeping it quiet on purpose. If you dont have to tip your hand, why would you?