• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What do we think the Ravens think of JAD and Pepe. You don't call guys especially later round picks busts after 1 year, but like those 2 are pretty interesting.

Typically, meaning in recent years, late round rookies have not been thrust in the fire and we as fans usually clamor to see those guys. But last year, both JAD and Pepe got on the field early and a lot! Then after pretty awful showings for a few games, they basically didn't see the field again the rest of the year.

On top of that JAD, a chronically injured guy, was chronically injured last year.

Not to be pessimistic, but like I'm pretty sure JAD won't be in the league in a couple of years, but I think Pepe has a chance to get better and be a CB3/4 kinda guy. Might just take him a couple more years to be that reliabily.

Corner is imo an extremely weak position group, maybe just as bad as WR.

Pepe came in and out
was replaced later in the year as the slot by Hamilton/Stephens
was replaced later in the year as the dime by Ar'Darius Washington

but certainly showed some things and has some upside as a versatile DB with some nickel/safety variety

JAD had a mess of a rookie year but it's not all over for him for sure

i dont think CB's that weak... i think it's not finished... but it's nowhere near as dire as WR
and with the multiple ways we use S and CB interchangeably on the backend, the safety group counteracts many of the issues we have in the secondary

backup S and 1 starter at outside CB and this group looks pretty good

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He barely played and I think when he did he was legitimately PFFs worst CB. To be fair at that time, the whole defense was playing like shit.

If he can stay healthy I think he could actually be like Averrett, which would be awesome. I could just be misremembering but I don't remember AA's injuries early in his career. I just remember him being burried. He also sucked the first year he got real playing time but then blossomed into a really solid guy

he was playing when half the secondary was injured and we had 3 rookies back there and had the communication issues too
not a fair assessment

also didnt play enough snaps for those grades to be meaningful

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Pepe came in and out
was replaced later in the year as the slot by Hamilton/Stephens
was replaced later in the year as the dime by Ar'Darius Washington

but certainly showed some things and has some upside as a versatile DB with some nickel/safety variety

JAD had a mess of a rookie year but it's not all over for him for sure

i dont think CB's that weak... i think it's not finished... but it's nowhere near as dire as WR
and with the multiple ways we use S and CB interchangeably on the backend, the safety group counteracts many of the issues we have in the secondary

backup S and 1 starter at outside CB and this group looks pretty good
Is that including Geno?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Geno got most of his snaps without Marcus Williams - snaps massively reduced when MW came back in
Right so if we move back to a more traditional 2 S system, you have Hamilton and Williams as your starters and Geno as one depth piece. Probably need one more guy.

Simba

Staff Member
Right so if we move back to a more traditional 2 S system, you have Hamilton and Williams as your starters and Geno as one depth piece. Probably need one more guy.
I don't have major concerns at S if Stone returns. This is a team that regularly churns out quality STers/eventual starting options in the back end of the draft.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
We're going to miss Chuck on the field. A lot of Ravens fans didn't appreciate him, but that's pretty common with safeties unless they're getting picks, but he's been very solid for us.

Geno Stone PI, the owner of the world's coolest name, is a ready made replacement if we bring him back, but I think we'll miss Clark's run defense and tackling.

I'm a little surprised they could only get slightly less than nothing for a starter on an affordable contract though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like hamilton in the role he’s currently in. Nickel isn’t just more prevalent anymore, it’s become legitimately one of the most important positions. You want a playmaker there and you want that playmaker as close to the ball/ball carrier as you can get on every snap, just like weve done with Humphrey, getting him more chances to impact the game by making plays on the ball rather than isolated in space and just being ignored by the qb.

Hamilton could make all pro safety if he spends most of the season at nickel, but as a more traditional safety in a 2 man backfield, I haven’t seen that from him, not to say he can’t, just that we have seen him absolutely wreck gameplans from nickel and have struggles at safety.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I like hamilton in the role he’s currently in. Nickel isn’t just more prevalent anymore, it’s become legitimately one of the most important positions. You want a playmaker there and you want that playmaker as close to the ball/ball carrier as you can get on every snap, just like weve done with Humphrey, getting him more chances to impact the game by making plays on the ball rather than isolated in space and just being ignored by the qb.

Hamilton could make all pro safety if he spends most of the season at nickel, but as a more traditional safety in a 2 man backfield, I haven’t seen that from him, not to say he can’t, just that we have seen him absolutely wreck gameplans from nickel and have struggles at safety.
Don't disagree. But what thay would mean is losing Chuck is actually losing a whole starting spot without the option on the team currently to fill it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We're going to miss Chuck on the field. A lot of Ravens fans didn't appreciate him, but that's pretty common with safeties unless they're getting picks, but he's been very solid for us.

Geno Stone PI, the owner of the world's coolest name, is a ready made replacement if we bring him back, but I think we'll miss Clark's run defense and tackling.

I'm a little surprised they could only get slightly less than nothing for a starter on an affordable contract though.

Everyone knew we were cutting him
And it saved us extra cap room (about 600k) to trade him vs cutting him

Jets did us a favour throwing us a guaranteed pick at all

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Affordable for Jets. They just took advantage of our cap situation - we're desperate to get back in black.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

His role will adjust and evolve for sure

But he’ll still spend a ton of time in the nickel

It’s just hell also be part of two safety packages too

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
You all are making some fabulous points. I didn't know about the extra cap savings. The cap is getting so damn complicated lol.

I personally will miss Chuck. We're talking about a player that not only wore the green dot but playing every snap which means healthy. Solid player imo and great value.