• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
You don't want to give up next years draft capitol when you don't even know who your QB is. Much stronger class next year.
If they can manage to trade back and then trade the 1st rounder for an established WR, I take that to be paired with Bateman who seems he has a high glass quantity. But I'm also cool on going with what we have and not even picking a WR in this draft if all we have is 5 picks. But Hopkins is not worth a first rounder... Jeudy or the other Bronco might be in our desperate situation.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
You don’t make these moves without signing Lamar first
You don't want to do nothing that major involving 2024 picks that's for sure. Signing Agholer was a cheap and sound investment. Basically just crossing TCC off the comp list and giving us a weapon that does have a shitload of talent.

Let's say we don't sign Lamar and not fall apart doing so I've always had my eye on Michael Penix lol. Stocking up for the 2024 draft is the way to go imo.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
You don’t make these moves without signing Lamar first
Yep, this is what I was getting at by asking the other day, when do we just decide to just cut bait in this because it begins to derail future opportunity. No way should they go digging into next year's draft cache for something this year. That's why I feel like either using the #1 to get a bonafide WR that's here for this year and next, at a minimum, isn't a bad move. The remaining picks can be used to pick up other areas of need and maybe get an extra one or two by moving back if we can. But Lamar has to be resolved in short order.

I still think it happens draft night when a QB isn't available to a team who wanted one. The only problem is the signing of the damn tag. If they have to rely on Lamar giving an answer in short order, that kinda hamstrings us on speedy action...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yep, this is what I was getting at by asking the other day, when do we just decide to just cut bait in this because it begins to derail future opportunity. No way should they go digging into next year's draft cache for something this year. That's why I feel like either using the #1 to get a bonafide WR that's here for this year and next, at a minimum, isn't a bad move. The remaining picks can be used to pick up other areas of need and maybe get an extra one or two by moving back if we can. But Lamar has to be resolved in short order.

I still think it happens draft night when a QB isn't available to a team who wanted one. The only problem is the signing of the damn tag. If they have to rely on Lamar giving an answer in short order, that kinda hamstrings us on speedy action...
It won't happen till after the draft. No way Lamar can make up his mind in 10 minutes while the Colts are on the clock lol after the Falcons leapfrog them to the 3rd pick. My prediction I see all 3 QB's gone with the 1st 3 picks.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
It won't happen till after the draft. No way Lamar can make up his mind in 10 minutes while the Colts are on the clock lol after the Falcons leapfrog them to the 3rd pick. My prediction I see all 3 QB's gone with the 1st 3 picks.
It might be better that it does occur after the draft because next year's draft seems more stocked with what I've read. But I'm no draft expert, so that's only based on what others have said. Gaining 1st rounders in 2024 and 2025 might work out a little better for our long term benefit.

I'm just sick of all the rings being run around this story. I would hope the Ravens have made it clear to Lamar that if he desires a trade, he better pick up the phone but quick and be ready to act in the coming weeks.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
If they can manage to trade back and then trade the 1st rounder for an established WR, I take that to be paired with Bateman who seems he has a high glass quantity. But I'm also cool on going with what we have and not even picking a WR in this draft if all we have is 5 picks. But Hopkins is not worth a first rounder... Jeudy or the other Bronco might be in our desperate situation.
I don't see how that could work. WR for the Ravens is a 100% nailed on need. If they don't take one in the first, it should become almost a certainty that they take a WR at 86.* (and 124, preferably.)

*I hear your arguments about best player available and I reject them. (mostly - if a top 40/50 player is sitting there, obviously you take them)

When you get to the 3rd round, does anyone really know whether the player they're picking is really the 86th, the 66th or the 106th best player in the draft? There should come a point where a glaring hole in a roster should outweigh the low degree of certainty (basically guessing) about which player is better than the other.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
The Colts are really taking a risk leaving the 3rd pick sitting out there like that.

Ballard's a Ravens style, conservative, maximize your picks style of GM. If it was up to him, I'm sure he'd rather sit at 4 and let the draft come to him. However they've got a massive QB need and lots of other QB needy teams sitting behind them. They've got the advantage that Arizona can still get Will Anderson, so they could move up relatively cheaply, yet they're leaving it open for anyone to jump past them.

Even if Irsay has his sights set on Lamar, you'd think they'd still want the fallback option of being able to choose their QB at 3.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I don't see how that could work. WR for the Ravens is a 100% nailed on need. If they don't take one in the first, it should become almost a certainty that they take a WR at 86.* (and 124, preferably.)

*I hear your arguments about best player available and I reject them. (mostly - if a top 40/50 player is sitting there, obviously you take them)

When you get to the 3rd round, does anyone really know whether the player they're picking is really the 86th, the 66th or the 106th best player in the draft? There should come a point where a glaring hole in a roster should outweigh the low degree of certainty (basically guessing) about which player is better than the other.
The draft itself is little more than a crap shoot, but I'm happy with taking closer to a sure thing who's already shown they can play WR in the NFL than any pick we take, 1st round or not. We could pick WR with all 5 picks and we still are engaging in a bet. I don't like that bet. I do feel more comfortable with other groups like DL, OL, CB... Plus, you should know the Ravens are not a need drafter if it doesn't align with their value meter on draftees. They aren't gonna draft a WR just because in the first round. It has to be someone they have high on their board. If those are gone, the next best thing is trading back or just trading the pick for an established WR. I still think they are better off trading for a "proven" commodity than any draftee.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Colts are really taking a risk leaving the 3rd pick sitting out there like that.

Ballard's a Ravens style, conservative, maximize your picks style of GM. If it was up to him, I'm sure he'd rather sit at 4 and let the draft come to him. However they've got a massive QB need and lots of other QB needy teams sitting behind them. They've got the advantage that Arizona can still get Will Anderson, so they could move up relatively cheaply, yet they're leaving it open for anyone to jump past them.

Even if Irsay has his sights set on Lamar, you'd think they'd still want the fallback option of being able to choose their QB at 3.
Arizona would be smart to wait until draft day. Anybody that wants to jump the Colts would have to give a bigger booty which could also up the Colts offer Now if the Colts offer in the 1st place is outstanding then.................but what QB's are they extremely high on.

JAAM

Hall of Famer