• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So this is a ravens philosophical question. I've been seeing a lot of mick drafts recently that have us either taking Swift or Taylor round 1 at 28. Now I've usually been frustrated with those mocks because I thought they were unreasonable. But that got me thinking. Is there really something to that? In the titans game, we didn't have Ingram and clearly were afraid to really run Gus full time. If we took a RB high that could potentially help us not have a drop-off if Mark or Gus gets hurt while also upgrading RB3 of everyone is healthy. Now I'm not saying EDC has any predisposed plan that he's definitely taki8a RB or WR or ILB, but if the board falls with a lot of the top WR and ILB off the board, would taking a RB be the craziest idea for this team right here right now? On second thought, I don't think so.

Edit: So the reason I post this here is because if what Roman did in the titans game was an abberation and he does trust Gus, then I see no chance. However, if he really doesn't trust Gus, and we've done nothing in FA to do anything about that, RB seems like an ok pick to me. I think it would be very unacceptable to go into next season thinking we only trust Mark Ingram.

as a franchise that uses analytics at this point in a fairly major way in both our on-field and off-field decision making this would be a bit of a headscratcher - RB is one of the most replaceable positions and production from that position is easier to find than at other positions - it also adds the least value to a team's offence and normally requires a stable of more than one - that's a lot of capital to put into a player who you probably arent expecting to be around at the end of their rookie deal no matter how good they are because its not cost effective to pay one

you can find far more value later in the draft with non-premium capital or even in udfa

it was frustrating the lack of usage we got from gus but i think that was honestly more the gamescript getting away from us than a lack of faith in him from Roman

i think it would be exceedingly odd if this front office went after a RB when we've already got a historically great rushing attack without using a 1st round pick on a RB - there's not much more value we can get out of the running game than we already did

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
as we've done jackshit in IOL department of any note for years I suggest we get Ruiz and then go WR and ILB

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
as we've done jackshit in IOL department of any note for years I suggest we get Ruiz and then go WR and ILB
i'm going to have to disagree with your first statement. We do an excellent job coaching up our young lineman.

that being said if love for us to draft an iol in the first two days and yes Ruiz is one of my top choices

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’ve been reading how Cooks could be a good fit in Baltimore and would give Lamar another deep threat if we were to draft a route technician like Jeudy or Lamb (if we trade up). I’m sure the consensus here is to stay away from Cooks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve been reading how Cooks could be a good fit in Baltimore and would give Lamar another deep threat if we were to draft a route technician like Jeudy or Lamb (if we trade up). I’m sure the consensus here is to stay away from Cooks.

he's had so many concussions, there's no guarantee that next time he goes over the middle that his career isnt over - im honestly surprised he's still getting cleared to play at this point

JAAM

Hall of Famer
he's had so many concussions, there's no guarantee that next time he goes over the middle that his career isnt over - im honestly surprised he's still getting cleared to play at this point
I feel the same way. It’s enticing though. I’d probably just offer Robby a low money contract after the draft

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
So this is a ravens philosophical question. I've been seeing a lot of mick drafts recently that have us either taking Swift or Taylor round 1 at 28. Now I've usually been frustrated with those mocks because I thought they were unreasonable. But that got me thinking. Is there really something to that? In the titans game, we didn't have Ingram and clearly were afraid to really run Gus full time. If we took a RB high that could potentially help us not have a drop-off if Mark or Gus gets hurt while also upgrading RB3 of everyone is healthy. Now I'm not saying EDC has any predisposed plan that he's definitely taki8a RB or WR or ILB, but if the board falls with a lot of the top WR and ILB off the board, would taking a RB be the craziest idea for this team right here right now? On second thought, I don't think so.

Edit: So the reason I post this here is because if what Roman did in the titans game was an abberation and he does trust Gus, then I see no chance. However, if he really doesn't trust Gus, and we've done nothing in FA to do anything about that, RB seems like an ok pick to me. I think it would be very unacceptable to go into next season thinking we only trust Mark Ingram.
I really like Roman and I am very glad he did not leave us for a head coaching position. With that said, I think he may have changed things up in that Titans game to try and show teams he could do more in the passing game. I think it hurt our chances of winning that game and bit us in the ass. I have to be honest, I was not happy about it. With that said, I think it was the Chiefs year and I think we would have had a difficult time getting past them. I am going to be pissed if we change things up again in the playoffs this coming season, instead of sticking with what worked to get us there!

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I really like Lamb but not sure what we would have to give up to trade up to get him. I am starting to really like the idea of staying put and going with Cesar Ruiz. I think he may be a good safe pick and I really like him for us.
I am still keeping my hopes up with each day that goes by and Jimmy is not grabbed up, that he will give us a home town discount and resign with us. I will be very happy with going into the draft with the free agency acquisitions and trades we made if we can resign Jimmy at a fair deal. If I just jinxed it, I will put myself in the freaking pit of misery!

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Couple things here:

1. The Tacoma Tribune reported earlier today that the Seahawks offer was around $18.5M per year, which makes a lot more sense and is much more plausible than the $13M this guy reported.
2. I'm certainly not using Reddit as a source of reporting information. This guy may be who he is, but if he was actually reporting something, and works for a legit radio station or local news outlet, he would report this information through an official twitter account, news social media outlet, etc. He's not posting this stuff under some alias on Reddit.

Reddit is pretty much purely a source for speculation.

Most reports have Clowney seeking $20M, and the Seahawks offer at $18.5M is much more reasonable.
I saw the Tweet linked to Reddit, not someone posting on Reddit. Reddit is absolutely the fastest source of information on any news (literally within seconds of a Tweet, people are making threads), so I prefer Reddit.

Again, the guy works for ESPN in Seattle, so he isn't baseless, but until we see the actual contract, we just don't know.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I saw the Tweet linked to Reddit, not someone posting on Reddit. Reddit is absolutely the fastest source of information on any news (literally within seconds of a Tweet, people are making threads), so I prefer Reddit.

Again, the guy works for ESPN in Seattle, so he isn't baseless, but until we see the actual contract, we just don't know.
1. All this guy is doing is retweeting... he's not the source, and he doesn't know the source.
2. The original tweet of this came from a site called thepick6.com, which I've read posts from in the past, and would hardly call a reliable source.
3. On their own twitter account, this website made sure to say that they don't know the parameters of the offer, and especially, don't think it was an offer of a long term deal. Concerns over his medicals and an inability to do physicals right now has teams putting in one year offers, which is why they're suggesting its on the low end.

I don't prefer Reddit, because Reddit frequently doesn't have actual news on it. Its a blend of largely opinion and speculation, sprinkling in people retweeting others trying to sound smart.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
1. All this guy is doing is retweeting... he's not the source, and he doesn't know the source.
2. The original tweet of this came from a site called thepick6.com, which I've read posts from in the past, and would hardly call a reliable source.
3. On their own twitter account, this website made sure to say that they don't know the parameters of the offer, and especially, don't think it was an offer of a long term deal. Concerns over his medicals and an inability to do physicals right now has teams putting in one year offers, which is why they're suggesting its on the low end.

I don't prefer Reddit, because Reddit frequently doesn't have actual news on it. Its a blend of largely opinion and speculation, sprinkling in people retweeting others trying to sound smart.
I thought I saw he was referencing the ESPN Seattle guy (although, he sure made sure to tag him more than a few times.)

In any case, no, I'd hardly call him a reliable source, which is why I generally put "apparently" in my speculation on rumors because frankly, until a deal is signed and I see Schefter or Rap report it, it's simply a rumor and I treat it as such. At this moment, all any of us really knows is that we know nothing and there's tons of rumors flying around and we'll hopefully see soon.

But hey, we've all been wrong before about these things because the NFL can be a wild and unpredictable place.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
And I typically don't like Reddit, but during FA frenzy and the draft frenzy, it's typically the absolute fastest place to find any news at all. I only follow it around this time of year.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
as a franchise that uses analytics at this point in a fairly major way in both our on-field and off-field decision making this would be a bit of a headscratcher - RB is one of the most replaceable positions and production from that position is easier to find than at other positions - it also adds the least value to a team's offence and normally requires a stable of more than one - that's a lot of capital to put into a player who you probably arent expecting to be around at the end of their rookie deal no matter how good they are because its not cost effective to pay one

you can find far more value later in the draft with non-premium capital or even in udfa

it was frustrating the lack of usage we got from gus but i think that was honestly more the gamescript getting away from us than a lack of faith in him from Roman

i think it would be exceedingly odd if this front office went after a RB when we've already got a historically great rushing attack without using a 1st round pick on a RB - there's not much more value we can get out of the running game than we already did
I dnt agree with the whole thing how people discredit drafting rbs in 1st rnd..when i just looked at rushing yards list, dam near 90% of them were 1st rnd picks and the rest were 2nd

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
iLB, wr and iOL.. which one of those positions can we go into the season without ...and it doesnt hurt our team as much?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt agree with the whole thing how people discredit drafting rbs in 1st rnd..when i just looked at rushing yards list, dam near 90% of them were 1st rnd picks and the rest were 2nd
That true a lot of the rushing leader are 1st or 2nd rnd picks. But it's also likely that teams give their rbs more snaps if they were drafted high.
Gus Edwards, Lindsey, Aaron Jones, Raheem Mostert, Chris Carson, Marlon Mack and Austin Ekeler are good counterarguments.
It's just value-wise smarter to draft other positions in the 1st rnd.