• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Right. My point was that we're not likely to be in a position to get a "can't miss" WR. Everybody knew Perriman was raw, but we drafted him due to his attributes, and he didn't develop.

And I agree with EDC. Its basically a volume approach at this point. If you're only going to take like one WR every 1-2 years, and you're going to wait until day 3 to take them, there's a good chance maybe one per decade will develop into anything more than a viable NFL starter.

So if we want the next AB (with a different brain of course), then part of that is going to be on coaches to turn 3rd or 4th rounders into stars. Its not that common that they just do it on their own.

That, or you have to do the one thing I doubt we'll ever consider doing, and that's mortgaging future drafts to go up and get the Julio-types. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
correct and I'd rather not mortgage the future for Julio types. that being said if you look back on that trade, it wasn't that much considering where they were picking. Probably cost a lot more now.

They swapped 1st round picks in 2011 and also gave up 2nd and 4th rounders in 2011 as well as giving up 2012 1st rounder and 4th rounder.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just did some research. Atlanta is strapped. Pipe-dream, but what if they put Julio on the block lol. The Rams, Vikings and Falcons are the teams that could use more cap, and they all have stud WRs that could obviously help us. Atlanta might be in rebuild mode. Can't wait to see what happens.
They can't trade Julio. He just signed an extension. It would cost them $12M MORE in cap space to deal him than to keep him. He'd cost over $32M against the 2020 cap.
One person to keep an eye on from Atlanta is Alex Mack. He could be a cap casualty if they really need the space. Last year of his contract, and I don't think they've been super happy with his performance of late.

Rams have a projected $23M in cap space right now, so I don't know why you think they need more?

Vikings will be cutting a lot of players for sure, but I doubt Diggs or Thielen would be one of them. Reports out there have them getting rid of Reiff (LT) and Xavier Rhodes, both of which underperformed greatly last year. They can clear almost $17M in cap space by cutting those two guys, and they wouldn't be that hard for them to replace either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just watched the presser myself I'm only paraphrasing here. But that's basically what he said.
EDIT:

too vague to make predictions and it depends whether they are continuing their philosophy from last year or whether its changed but its clear that a general level of athleticism at the position was important last year albeit they got 2 distinct kinds of athletes - they got hollywood who has game-breaking speed mixed with suddenness and they got boykin who is the classic height/weight/speed triangle prospect with great RAS scores but less of a technician

it would suggest there's a bench-mark of athleticism that they look for - and you can see that going back through most of the wrs they've picked even in the mid-rounds, on both picks that worked out and picks that didn't: chris moore, jaleel scott, torrey smith, breshad perriman, tommy streeter, tandon doss, darren waller, aaron mellette, maybe even jordan lasley...

you could argue that until last year (with hollywood) the only real outlier for the last decade (as far as I could be bothered to go back) was michael campanaro and maybe keenan reynolds (does he even count?)

my hope is that with hollywood we've started to value other characteristics more - being a technician as a route runner (or at least showing the capability to become a quality route-runner) and not worrying about those triangle statistics in the same way that we clearly did previously - at other positions we've always emphasised tape and traits over measurables (like the front office's old adage that sacks translate) and yet at wr we seem to have in the past emphasised athletic testing

my hope is that yes we're continuing to look to build a track team around lamar but that maybe we emphasise technicians over triangle prospects - i dont know - pure speculation

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ignoring the pending free agents and possible retirement (Yanda), is there anybody on the roster who we see as an obvious "cap casualty" at this point? As I look at the players actually under contract, the only guy I see that makes sense is Tony Jefferson.

Heading into his last year of his deal, coming off significant injury, relatively large cap number ($11.1M) and somewhat significant cap savings with a release ($7M), and seemingly replaceable internally already with Clark.

Is there really anybody else? I just don't expect many players to be "released" early in the FA period. Feels like any cuts we make could be later on.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ignoring the pending free agents and possible retirement (Yanda), is there anybody on the roster who we see as an obvious "cap casualty" at this point? As I look at the players actually under contract, the only guy I see that makes sense is Tony Jefferson.

Heading into his last year of his deal, coming off significant injury, relatively large cap number ($11.1M) and somewhat significant cap savings with a release ($7M), and seemingly replaceable internally already with Clark.

Is there really anybody else? I just don't expect many players to be "released" early in the FA period. Feels like any cuts we make could be later on.

brandon carr could be let go - he has the last of his 4 6m/yr options in 2020 and we could well decide not to keep him

you're right though - there's likely going to be very little dead money on this year's cap

James Hurst is an option depending on what we feel about his value vs his contract but that would save only 2.75m against the cap

i'd say TJ is definitely gone, Brandon Carr is 50/50 and James Hurst is likely sticking around - other than that I dont think there's any other cut candidates before we get to training camp

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

James Hurst has been talked about by fans but I don't see him getting cut early. It's a big risk to assume we can replace Yanda, our 6th lineman, and than more likely than not some injury at some point or another. Hurst can play 4 positions at least decently which not many players in the last few decades can. I'd disapprove massively if we got rid of him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
James Hurst has been talked about by fans but I don't see him getting cut early. It's a big risk to assume we can replace Yanda, our 6th lineman, and than more likely than not some injury at some point or another. Hurst can play 4 positions at least decently which not many players in the last few decades can. I'd disapprove massively if we got rid of him.

with senat gone we've basically got no backup tackles on the roster except Hurst - no matter how bad he is we literally dont have any other better options

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see virtually no chance Hurst is gone. The fans hate Hurst, and the Ravens LOVE him. His cap hit is really reflective of a fringe starter compensation, which is what he is. He can play 4 spots on the line and the team won't die if he has to, and they could potentially look to replace both starting Guards in one offseason. If that's the case, no way they have the ability to obtain three quality lineman (two Guards plus a swing tackle) by letting Hurst go.

Carr is interesting. Harbaugh says they want him back, and his cap hit isn't really all that bad. The issue is determining where he fits in the defense. If Jimmy leaves, he's a really good 4th corner. If Jimmy stays, he's basically just depth at Safety.

They have until March 18th to exercise player options, so its about a week into FA. My guess is they wait until they end. If they're able to extend Jimmy, I'm guessing they decline the option and ask for a bit less (though at $6M right now, it doesn't get much cheaper in today's market). If Jimmy walks, I see no reason not to pickup the option.

Maybe AB would want to hook up with his cuz ... and maybe Hollywood could get him to promise he'd stop being a douche. That would add a play maker on the outside.

JK! (or am I ...)

FB_IMG_1579293001532.jpg

So what big bodied-Boldin type WRs are out there that we realisticallycould try trading for?

Any teams out there that are in rebuilding/fire sale mode or just stacked at WRs that would likely want to do business with us?

I said this before a few pages back, but man would I love to trade for Jarvis Landry, if only we could

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
So what big bodied-Boldin type WRs are out there that we realisticallycould try trading for?

Any teams out there that are in rebuilding/fire sale mode or just stacked at WRs that would likely want to do business with us?

I said this before a few pages back, but man would I love to trade for Jarvis Landry, if only we could
I think a healthy AJ green could do a lot for this offense he just has to stay healthy

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
The Ravens need more speed a the wide receiver position. A receiver that's similar to a younger Randall Cobb would help especially since Cobb was a versatile player in his early playing days . AJ Green would be helpful as well but his injuries have to be concerning for most teams

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd bring in AJ in a heartbeat. With Peko on the roster, maybe he can recruit him alittle for us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

not sure a big-bodied guy is that helpful tbh in this offence - lamar's not throwing tons of fades and contested outs so id imagine they'd be coming here to run lots of slants

also not sure who's really out there and available

but i kind of go back to this idea - there's no point giving up draft capital this year for a wr unless the value's great because we can get cheaper ones in the draft and this draft class is loaded with talent

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
not sure a big-bodied guy is that helpful tbh in this offence - lamar's not throwing tons of fades and contested outs so id imagine they'd be coming here to run lots of slants

also not sure who's really out there and available

but i kind of go back to this idea - there's no point giving up draft capital this year for a wr unless the value's great because we can get cheaper ones in the draft and this draft class is loaded with talent
Exactly. There was never a better time to draft WR and pay good pass rusher in FA. This edge rusher class is a bit underwhelming, aside of few guys at the top. and there may be top pass rushers available in FA.