• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
i honestly think that this team is weaker with clowney vs judon with the way the front 7 has now been constructed - if we got clowney it would have to be in addition to judon somehow not replacing him
How do you think we'd get the cap space?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
with all the DL additions i think that's a given (except in gameday emergencies if they ever occur) but not sure he and hayden are similar enough in terms of their responsibilities in the running game and pat doesnt create the same matchup problems because he's not a receiving threat except on really short designed rumbles
In all seriousness, hopefully Scarff will be up to that role.

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
i honestly think that this team is weaker with clowney vs judon with the way the front 7 has now been constructed - if we got clowney it would have to be in addition to judon somehow not replacing him

Weaker? I think Clowney would be much faster off the side then Judon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Weaker? I think Clowney would be much faster off the side then Judon

schematically at this point judon's ability to cover effectively adds more to this defence than clowney would and while clowney's a major disruptor im not convinced he offers enough extra off the edge to make up for what we lose in positional versatility given how much we blitz

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1) i agree unless it's a really long contract
2) it's going to be a lot more than 18/yr
I imagine Ronnie is gonna get a really long contract. I could see ronnies being maybe the first mega long term deal ala tyron Smith. He’s the very first cornerstone of the new era ravens to get to huge extension territory and decosta May look to use Stanley to set a tone to the team, like “we wanna get you guys locked down because we wanna contend for a long time” so they offer Stanley something that puts players like Lamar and Zeus and andrews at ease

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dont see how locking Stanley up is gonna save us money if he signs for say 18 mil a year.
I agree.

CAN it be done? Certainly. You can backload the crap out of it. But we can all do the math...

Call it $20M per year. Costs $12.8M this year currently. If you actually wanted to sign Clowney (which I doubt EDC is really thinking about that and I doubt its the reason they would want to create space), you'd probably have to shave $2-3M at least off that number.

So you're signing a long term player for $20M a year, with a first year cap hit of like $10M.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

His cap hit from year 1 to year 2 would have to jump by at least $10-12M, possibly more. That's horrible cap management, and that's even if you think the cap is going to shoot up a lot next year (which is anecdotal at best at this point).

If I'm extending Stanley, I want his cap hit in 2020 to go up, not down.

Extending Judon makes more sense. If he signed for $17-18M per year, and he costs nearly $16M this year, then you could potentially save $2-3M by extending him. A first year cap hit of like $13-14M isn't that terrible, though the idea of him being in like year 3-4 of a long term deal with a $20M+ cap hit is scary. He's the kind of player, in my opinion, that when the cliff comes, its going to be a STEEP decline.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I imagine Ronnie is gonna get a really long contract. I could see ronnies being maybe the first mega long term deal ala tyron Smith. He’s the very first cornerstone of the new era ravens to get to huge extension territory and decosta May look to use Stanley to set a tone to the team, like “we wanna get you guys locked down because we wanna contend for a long time” so they offer Stanley something that puts players like Lamar and Zeus and andrews at ease
I mean, they could do an 8 year deal... but its obvious why the Cowboys did... Tyron got little guaranteed money. They only guaranteed the first two years on an 8 year deal. It was like $22M on a $98M contract.

Like the hilarious thing is... he's been making like $10M a year for the last couple years, and he has no leverage in negotiations, because he's STILL under contract for 4 more years.

I have zero doubt the Ravens would sign him for 8 years at $150M... if they only had to guaranteed like $30-40M of it. Tunsil just got $40M guaranteed. Stanley will want more.

No way would Stanley's agent sign a deal like that. He will tell his client to try to hit FA again when he's 30, so he can max out again.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree.

CAN it be done? Certainly. You can backload the crap out of it. But we can all do the math...

Call it $20M per year. Costs $12.8M this year currently. If you actually wanted to sign Clowney (which I doubt EDC is really thinking about that and I doubt its the reason they would want to create space), you'd probably have to shave $2-3M at least off that number.

So you're signing a long term player for $20M a year, with a first year cap hit of like $10M.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

His cap hit from year 1 to year 2 would have to jump by at least $10-12M, possibly more. That's horrible cap management, and that's even if you think the cap is going to shoot up a lot next year (which is anecdotal at best at this point).

If I'm extending Stanley, I want his cap hit in 2020 to go up, not down.

Extending Judon makes more sense. If he signed for $17-18M per year, and he costs nearly $16M this year, then you could potentially save $2-3M by extending him. A first year cap hit of like $13-14M isn't that terrible, though the idea of him being in like year 3-4 of a long term deal with a $20M+ cap hit is scary. He's the kind of player, in my opinion, that when the cliff comes, its going to be a STEEP decline.

Much better idea. Say you sign Judon to a 4 yr 70 mil deal with a 25 mil signing bonus with his 1st 2 yrs guaranteed it gives you a nice out after 2 yrs when we have to make decisions on other players. The dead money would be 12.5 mil but we'd be saving about 7-8 mil entering year 3.