• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also think fans pretend like these decisions are made with every guy on the roster. That if you pay 10% more for every player than you wanted to, you'll end up broke. I don't see that. I'm pretty sure when discussing the latest CBA, people had stats that like over 60% of your roster was made up of guys on rookie or UDFA deals, meaning they're already largely at pre-determined slots.

the other thing about this is that if the salary cap gets squeezed it still wont change anything for the upper and lower class of the NFL players - the elite talent will still get the contracts because they're still valuable and worth it - and the bottom guys will still be on the minimum

but the so-called NFL middle-class would get squeezed and maybe you see that 60% of guys on rookie, udfa and minimum deals turn into 80%

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
leveon bell didnt do that - he sat the whole year and basically dared the steelers to tag him again at the same rate knowing they wouldnt bother

Thats true. He was tagged 2 diffrent times. Somebody else did it but I cant remember who but the bottomline is you only get 6 games of the tag salary which I just don't see Judon doing

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thats true. He was tagged 2 diffrent times. Somebody else did it but I cant remember who but the bottomline is you only get 6 games of the tag salary which I just don't see Judon doing
Kirk Cousins played under the franchise tag in back to back seasons.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m confused about the Franchise Tag. If Judon doesn’t sign it, he technically can’t play a snap?
Moot point to me. There's pretty much no possible scenario I see where Judon sits out the season in protest of the franchise tag. Very few players have ever done it.

People point to somebody like Bell, and they forget he played the first year under the tag. He made $12.1M in 2017. He wasn't eager at all to sit out that season, after making less than $4M total the previous 4 years.

I could be wrong, but my guess is the list of actual first-year tag players, immediately after a rookie deal, that actually held out into the season, is extremely small. Maybe even be none.

I don't know why Judon would differ from that group, especially when the franchise tag value pays him what would appear to be very close to actual market value.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Moot point to me. There's pretty much no possible scenario I see where Judon sits out the season in protest of the franchise tag. Very few players have ever done it.

People point to somebody like Bell, and they forget he played the first year under the tag. He made $12.1M in 2017. He wasn't eager at all to sit out that season, after making less than $4M total the previous 4 years.

I could be wrong, but my guess is the list of actual first-year tag players, immediately after a rookie deal, that actually held out into the season, is extremely small. Maybe even be none.

I don't know why Judon would differ from that group, especially when the franchise tag value pays him what would appear to be very close to actual market value.

There’s also a difference between contracts as well - you’d be far more likely to see a guy drafted in the 1st or 2nd round hold out of a franchise tag because their rookie contracts are exponentially bigger than a 5th rounder (and a 1st rounder likely played on the 5th year option as well already if he’s getting tagged)

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I don't understand this idea of letting Stanley walk and thinking you can easily replace him. I would have no problem if Stanley's money is 20M+ or even 25M.

I don't even understand how people can't see Stanley as an elite LT. People try to knock him for run blocking but he's improved so much since he arrived in this team and there and criticism of it is overblown. As a pass blocker he's flat out the best in the league right now and I don't know about yall but I prefer my QB standing upright and not on the ground.

The Ravens are loaded with cash and have Lamar on a rookie deal with an option for 3 more years. The time for being cheap is after you pay your QB not before it. Notice how the Cheifs are not concerned about Mahomes deal while handing out big money contracts like skittles. They know they can make their team better by taking advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal.

Not only that but like others have said it's extremely hard to find a LT as good as Stanley. Tunsil is not even on his level and managed to get the Dolphins 2 firsts and a 2nd.

The only passable reason for letting Stanley go is if you get in return what the Dolphins managed to get for Tunsil and I'm not even sure that's in the best interest of the team. Stanley is an elite player at a premium position.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don't understand this idea of letting Stanley walk and thinking you can easily replace him. I would have no problem if Stanley's money is 20M+ or even 25M.

I don't even understand how people can't see Stanley as an elite LT. People try to knock him for run blocking but he's improved so much since he arrived in this team and there and criticism of it is overblown. As a pass blocker he's flat out the best in the league right now and I don't know about yall but I prefer my QB standing upright and not on the ground.

The Ravens are loaded with cash and have Lamar on a rookie deal with an option for 3 more years. The time for being cheap is after you pay your QB not before it. Notice how the Cheifs are not concerned about Mahomes deal while handing out big money contracts like skittles. They know they can make their team better by taking advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal.

Not only that but like others have said it's extremely hard to find a LT as good as Stanley. Tunsil is not even on his level and managed to get the Dolphins 2 firsts and a 2nd.

The only passable reason for letting Stanley go is if you get in return what the Dolphins managed to get for Tunsil and I'm not even sure that's in the best interest of the team. Stanley is an elite player at a premium position.
It was more so we are better off with a LT worth a little less money so we can spend else where rather than giving stanley 25 mil and our cap being messed up

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It was more so we are better off with a LT worth a little less money so we can spend else where rather than giving stanley 25 mil and our cap being messed up
Giving Stanley 25m messes up the cap but letting Stanley leave messes up the team.

seems some folks are all numbers in this discussion, and there comes a point where you just can’t be ALL numbers oriented, and you have to look at the actual team and players, and the leagues best young LT when you have a mvp franchise qb on his rookie deal is the exact place where you have to start looking at players instead of numbers lol

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Letting him go would be even worse. Now I don't see him making 25M a year, but he's bound to make +20M and he would be absolutely worth it. Also, how will the team be crippled? The Ravens are loaded with cash in the future and have done a great job with managing the cap. They will have plenty of money to play with and considering how well they've drafted lately, you can say they are well-positioned to pay Stanley big money.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Giving Stanley 25m messes up the cap but letting Stanley leave messes up the team.

seems some folks are all numbers in this discussion, and there comes a point where you just can’t be ALL numbers oriented, and you have to look at the actual team and players, and the leagues best young LT when you have a mvp franchise qb on his rookie deal is the exact place where you have to start looking at players instead of numbers lol
I completely agree with you but what is the harm in being cheap with somebody else's money? EDC knows what's up and will act accordingly and I think Stanley will get a longer term deal around 22.5-23M/yr with more guaranteed money than the bong head in Houston.

A1A

Veteran
I completely agree with you but what is the harm in being cheap with somebody else's money? EDC knows what's up and will act accordingly and I think Stanley will get a longer term deal around 22.5-23M/yr with more guaranteed money than the bong head in Houston.

Hater.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Not going to happen, but it’s some fun entertainment during this boring time of the offseason:

JAAM

Hall of Famer
TJ was doing some recruiting recently lol:

A1A

Veteran
And even if he gets signed elsewhere, we still got Griffen and #FreeYannick.

Yea I hope we trade that bum Judon and sign Griffen instead. Idc about his mental issues or if he is toxic to the team...at least he wouldnt miss that tackle! Sign AB too!

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yea I hope we trade that bum Judon and sign Griffen instead. Idc about his mental issues or if he is toxic to the team...at least he wouldnt miss that tackle! Sign AB too!
Hard pass on AB. His talent is unworldly, but the last thing I want is from him to bitch up because he isn't getting enough touches (you know he will).