• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
It’s not even that he’s injured - it’s that he won’t be healthy enough to play until the 2021 season so no team will take him and that’s a roster spot we can use to bring in another vet TE or another udfa we liked from the initial group

Surprised me too but it does make sense

It's certainly a rarity and part of that "unwritten rule" I mentioned, but it's been done before. I remember when the Patriots claimed Jake Ballard (and the names are too close) after he had torn his ACL I believe. It's certainly a dick move when it happens but not impossible. That's why I'm surprised they're taking the chance. If a team can just claim a guy, keep him on their active roster for a month, they can move him to IR and have him next year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's certainly a rarity and part of that "unwritten rule" I mentioned, but it's been done before. I remember when the Patriots claimed Jake Ballard (and the names are too close) after he had torn his ACL I believe. It's certainly a dick move when it happens but not impossible. That's why I'm surprised they're taking the chance. If a team can just claim a guy, keep him on their active roster for a month, they can move him to IR and have him next year.
I mean they could, but they're carrying a guy on an already reduced roster (down to 80) who basically can't do anything physically.

Plus, even though the Ravens "talked him up", I've never met a drafted players or even UDFA that a team didn't "talk up". The reality is no team thought he was worthy of a draft pick this year, and I'd bet its quite unlikely that teams keep UDFA's in camp who are injured and can't play, which is only amplified by a roster size that's now 10 people shorter.

Realistically, with the injury he has, you not only have to carry him this year, but next year as well, because I don't see a lot of scenarios where an UDFA who redshirted his first season makes a significant impact, coming back off a big injury, in what is essentially his rookie year (2021). I think best case scenario is he's on your 2021 PS, which means you're now two years removed from him even competing for playing time on an active roster.

Not much difference than moving on from Senat in my eyes. There's a guy or two every year that the Ravens either draft or sign as an UDFA who the fanbase gets all hyped about, and 12 months later (or less in this case) they're on the streets.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean they could, but they're carrying a guy on an already reduced roster (down to 80) who basically can't do anything physically.

Plus, even though the Ravens "talked him up", I've never met a drafted players or even UDFA that a team didn't "talk up". The reality is no team thought he was worthy of a draft pick this year, and I'd bet its quite unlikely that teams keep UDFA's in camp who are injured and can't play, which is only amplified by a roster size that's now 10 people shorter.

Realistically, with the injury he has, you not only have to carry him this year, but next year as well, because I don't see a lot of scenarios where an UDFA who redshirted his first season makes a significant impact, coming back off a big injury, in what is essentially his rookie year (2021). I think best case scenario is he's on your 2021 PS, which means you're now two years removed from him even competing for playing time on an active roster.

Not much difference than moving on from Senat in my eyes. There's a guy or two every year that the Ravens either draft or sign as an UDFA who the fanbase gets all hyped about, and 12 months later (or less in this case) they're on the streets.

They've certainly talked UDFAs up before but I don't think I've ever heard anything to the extent of Breeland. Basically said he was a day 2 pick if healthy.

Gotta think the knee is pretty messed up. I know some guys are never the same and I wonder if maybe that's what they saw when they were actually able to give him a physical.

Like I said, I don't think this matters, but the team certainly talked him up like he was a part of the future.

Simba

Staff Member
Bringing in Kenjon Barner with the intention of signing him. Think this makes a lot of sense with De'Anthony Thomas opting out. KR/PR insurance in case Proche doesn't seize the opportunity.

And with the expanded PS rosters with a few spots of unlimited experience, Barner could factor in there as well. Good insurance to have around midseason as well if needed, and he's the type of guy that probably won't command a 53 spot here or anywhere else unless needed.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
this might be the last hurrah for @Dom McRaven and @JAAM ...

it might be now or never guys lol

Hahaha! I came straight here after I saw the report. If he can only be had for a 2 that’s a steal but doesn’t he carry like an 18 mill cap lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hahaha! I came straight here after I saw the report. If he can only be had for a 2 that’s a steal but doesn’t he carry like an 18 mill cap lol

he's also on the franchise tag which makes him unattainable here because of judon (who has signed his tag) so unfortunately im not sure there's any mechanism for us to actually trade for him at all even ignoring the cap

but who knows lol... EDC's done some wild shit since he took the reins

JAAM

Hall of Famer
he's also on the franchise tag which makes him unattainable here because of judon (who has signed his tag) so unfortunately im not sure there's any mechanism for us to actually trade for him at all even ignoring the cap

basically Judon would have to be involved in the deal huh?

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

He hasent signed the Tag yet though. So we could just extend him. Although idk how thatd make Judon feel

JAAM

Hall of Famer
yes judon would have to be involved in the deal which makes it an almost certainty it never was going to happen lol
Or they could extend Yannick lol. Never say never ;)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This would be a team in win now mode who can afford what ultimately could only be a 1 year rental.

Titans could be one but I don't think they would trade him to a division rival. Vikings would be another team interested. I guess we'll see where he ends up.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
@Dom McRaven where you at?!?!?! We need to #SIIE #FreeYannick

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
this might be the last hurrah for @Dom McRaven and @JAAM ...

it might be now or never guys lol

@Dom McRaven where you at?!?!?! We need to #SIIE #FreeYannick
Mr, @rossihunter2 , these are the moments we live for. I'd figuratively cry tears of joy if it turns out that we traded for him. And he was teammates with Calais anyways so he'd fit right in.

As long as Yannick doesn't get traded to another AFC team (not named us), I'm okay. Free my man Yannick! Let him taste freedom!

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m not on the Dez bandwagon. I’d be all for it if he had amazing hands but they’re iffy at best. Reminds me of an Ozzie signing and if we do sign him, he’ll just be one and done after a lackluster season. I’d rather just trade for someone out there like we did with Boldin if we really don’t trust Boykin.