• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tony Pauline believes we’re the favorites to land Clowney but I’m not sure how it would work out financially but in EDC I truzz

i just read the actual article and its vague ambiguous nothing that actually doesnt have any sources behind it

pauline just talked about a general thought amongst "insiders" that the ravens might be a good landing spot and there's not much more behind it than that

which makes it worthless bullshit in terms of reporting

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just read the actual article and its vague ambiguous nothing that actually doesnt have any sources behind it

pauline just talked about a general thought amongst "insiders" that the ravens might be a good landing spot and there's not much more behind it than that

which makes it worthless bullshit in terms of reporting

i didn’t even click the link. I didn’t recognize his name or the company he works, so I figured it’s all for clicks. Plus neither had twitter verified handle lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tony Pauline believes we’re the favorites to land Clowney but I’m not sure how it would work out financially but in EDC I truzz
The ET release does, potentially, make it a financial option, though it would still need to probably be at <$10M for the season. Realistically, closer to $6-7M if they want to avoid mid-season contract restructures.

Before the ET release it was essentially impossible. Now its at least a financial possibility.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If no one will pay his asking price then a one year, prove it deal with a team he can wrack up stats with could be good for Clowney. Though I admit it's wishful thinking.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Still looking at it, if he wants 17m per year, then we gotta sign him at 2 years minimum and backload like 7-9mil minimum, making his 2021 cap hit comparable to Flacco’s shit cap hits. In a year where we’ll be looking to extend both Stanley and Humphrey we can’t have that shit.

if we signed him for 3 and split it up then it’s still averaging over 20m for years 2/3.

I see absolutely no way it happens honestly

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still looking at it, if he wants 17m per year, then we gotta sign him at 2 years minimum and backload like 7-9mil minimum, making his 2021 cap hit comparable to Flacco’s shit cap hits. In a year where we’ll be looking to extend both Stanley and Humphrey we can’t have that shit.

if we signed him for 3 and split it up then it’s still averaging over 20m for years 2/3.

I don't see any possibility or desire for the Ravens to give him a multi-year deal. Already staring at a significant decrease in salary cap space for next season most likely, and we've got some lucrative extensions to consider.

It'll either be a one year deal at < $10M, which I don't know that he would sign, or he won't be here.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see any possibility or desire for the Ravens to give him a multi-year deal. Already staring at a significant decrease in salary cap space for next season most likely, and we've got some lucrative extensions to consider.

It'll either be a one year deal at < $10M, which I don't know that he would sign, or he won't be here.
What about extending Stanley? It should be feasible now.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What about extending Stanley? It should be feasible now.
Yes, it is. Still don't think they'll do it. I think they'd like to try to sign him this coming offseason, so they can make his year 1 cap hit (2021) lower, to offset the impending salary cap decrease.

If you extend him now, it's more difficult to structure a year 2 cap hit lower.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Any cuts we can make to open up some space?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
For all the pessimists, the rumors had to have stem from some where. Pauline isn't talking out his ass. I trust league sources. They know something we don't. Maybe they've talked to Clowney and he said "yes, I want to sign with Baltimore and make it happen". There's been interest from us for a long time now. EDC can make it happen if we really wants.

Simba

Staff Member
For all the pessimists, the rumors had to have stem from some where. Pauline isn't talking out his ass. I trust league sources. They know something we don't. Maybe they've talked to Clowney and he said "yes, I want to sign with Baltimore and make it happen". There's been interest from us for a long time now. EDC can make it happen if we really wants.

It's more speculative than it is rumors/reports though. That whole article is really only saying that Baltimore has a pass rush need, there's a pass rusher available, so it makes sense. There's nothing concrete other than that, and any half competent GM isn't going to lay his cards out like that to where other league sources know. That's why I don't put much credence into that report. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, don't be shocked because there's not much actual evidence other than opinions that Baltimore makes sense.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
It's more speculative than it is rumors/reports though. That whole article is really only saying that Baltimore has a pass rush need, there's a pass rusher available, so it makes sense. There's nothing concrete other than that, and any half competent GM isn't going to lay his cards out like that to where other league sources know. That's why I don't put much credence into that report. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, don't be shocked because there's not much actual evidence other than opinions that Baltimore makes sense.
Maybe we're just looking at it differently. I'm trying to be optimistic because I'm a huge fan of Clowney. Fingers crossed we make happen

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Nothing of real significance.
Yea that’s what I thought. Gonna be interesting what he ultimately signs for if it’s here or elsewhere.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But these aren't rumors.
If you read the article, it literally says: “A lot of people in the league believe that in end, he’s going to end up with the Baltimore Ravens,” Pauline said in the latest episode of the NFL Draft Insiders podcast. “The Ravens need an upgrade with their pass rush. The belief from league insiders is don’t be surprised if he ends up with the Baltimore Ravens.”

This isn't a rumor. This is a reporter talking to people in the industry about their opinion of where somebody may land.
Its basically just the end of the equation. Best pass rusher on the market still available + identify teams that could use pass rush help = Ravens

They could have written this article in March, April, May, June, or July, and it would have still been true. The only reason I think people are bringing it up NOW is because we cut ET and we now (maybe) have more cap space. The "tea leaves" have been the same as they've been for months.

I personally have my doubts Clowney is going to suit up at all this year. We're 16 days from first Sunday kickoff, and 9 days from teams making final roster cuts. If his objective was to sit out the entire preseason, he's pretty much already achieved that. All he's doing now is lowering his price tag in exchange for having a swifter learning curve with a new team. If he signs with the Ravens or any other team in, say, a week from now, I think it would be 50/50 that he actually suits up for week 1.

If he's expecting that a team is going to have some major pass rush injury in camp and that he'll fly in to save the rescue, he's rapidly running out of time. Most teams only have a handful of practices left before they go into week 1 planning, and injury concerns are a lot lower this year with no preseason and game-speed joint practices.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he's clearly looking for a 1 year deal in that range and really the browns are the only realistic candidate at this point to give him that money

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
We signed some byu running back I've never heard of because Justice Hill and Barnet have injuries. Obviously harbs hasn't said anything about the magnitude of the injury.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We signed some byu running back I've never heard of because Justice Hill and Barnet have injuries. Obviously harbs hasn't said anything about the magnitude of the injury.

it's to preserve the guys who are healthy and likely to factor in the season - to lighten the camp workload

tyson williams was a guy we said we'd sign when udfa started and we did just 4 months later