• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Great move on Ngakoue! I think this is excellent because 3rd round picks have been 50/50 jump balls for us lately. Also, in an abbreviated offseason with not as much in college football this year this makes a ton of sense. Don't see too many impact pass rushers either in the Draft at all levels yet.

Simba

Staff Member
Curious how the roster shakes out in a couple of weeks. Averett is likely heading to IR to clear room for Yannick.

Gilchrist is playing a role on defense and still has 1 more call up before we have to make a move there, but I'd fully expect him to be on the 53 at some point.

Bonds is likely getting the call as CB depth. Not as worried about him but he also only has 1 more call up before we'd have to think about the 53 for him. They might add another CB to the PS though and do a rotation again.

10 OL is going to be tough to carry so you have to wonder who could potentially be the odd man out there if needed. They kept TCC because they didn't want to lose him, but you have a bevy on mid-round picks in front of him.

I think Chris Moore and Jordan Richards should also be worried about their spots as pure STers who offer nothing at their respective positions at this point.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
tbf chris moore is a great special teams gunner but in his absence 2 or 3 guys have stepped up and done really well so he's becoming more expendable every week

Agreed there is no such thing as objective value. Chris Moore had been for awhile our best special teamer giving him is competitive advantage for a spot. But exactly as you said in his absence he has been shown to not really hold that value over others and so he seems quite expendable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Curious how the roster shakes out in a couple of weeks. Averett is likely heading to IR to clear room for Yannick.

Gilchrist is playing a role on defense and still has 1 more call up before we have to make a move there, but I'd fully expect him to be on the 53 at some point.

Bonds is likely getting the call as CB depth. Not as worried about him but he also only has 1 more call up before we'd have to think about the 53 for him. They might add another CB to the PS though and do a rotation again.

10 OL is going to be tough to carry so you have to wonder who could potentially be the odd man out there if needed. They kept TCC because they didn't want to lose him, but you have a bevy on mid-round picks in front of him.

I think Chris Moore and Jordan Richards should also be worried about their spots as pure STers who offer nothing at their respective positions at this point.

i thought gilchrist was already on the 53 (didn't he replace brandon williams when he went onto the covid-19/reserve list?)
either way brandon will be back at some point so we need to find that spot from somewhere

jordan richards for sure seems to be at risk and with the way the gunners have played chris moore should be worried about his job especially with his inability to stay healthy this year

i dont think we'd promote TCC to protect him only to let him go - could see us phantom i/ring him somehow

these are good problems to have though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed there is no such thing as objective value. Chris Moore had been for awhile our best special teamer giving him is competitive advantage for a spot. But exactly as you said in his absence he has been shown to not really hold that value over others and so he seems quite expendable.

its not that his role isnt valuable, its just that guys who werent around much last year have been really effective (duvernay especially but also khalil dorsey and justice hill and anthony averett and even myles boykin)

also the fact that there's a bunch of guys means that 1 guy suddenly dipping in form at that spot doesnt really open an opportunity for him because there's 4 other guys who've done well

if averett's injury had happened in week 4 you might have seen chris moore activated then (if he hadnt reinjured himself)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Great move on Ngakoue! I think this is excellent because 3rd round picks have been 50/50 jump balls for us lately. Also, in an abbreviated offseason with not as much in college football this year this makes a ton of sense. Don't see too many impact pass rushers either in the Draft at all levels yet.
2018: Zeus Jr and Mark Andrews
2019: Boykin and Ferguson

Zeus and Andrews are very good
Boykin is only good at blocking
Ferguson has improved a lot and seems to be setting an edge nicely.

Not sure I'd call 3rd round picks a jump ball, but Ngakoue is better than what we would draft

Simba

Staff Member
i thought gilchrist was already on the 53 (didn't he replace brandon williams when he went onto the covid-19/reserve list?)
either way brandon will be back at some point so we need to find that spot from somewhere

jordan richards for sure seems to be at risk and with the way the gunners have played chris moore should be worried about his job especially with his inability to stay healthy this year

i dont think we'd promote TCC to protect him only to let him go - could see us phantom i/ring him somehow

these are good problems to have though

It was a 1 week swap kind of thing. Gilchrist was on the 53 but reverted back to the PS since it was designated as a covid replacement. So technically we have 52 right now and Williams will require no move once he clears protocols. And since Gilchrist was a covid replacement, that did NOT burn one of his standard elevations.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2018: Zeus Jr and Mark Andrews
2019: Boykin and Ferguson

Zeus and Andrews are very good
Boykin is only good at blocking
Ferguson has improved a lot and seems to be setting an edge nicely.

Not sure I'd call 3rd round picks a jump ball, but Ngakoue is better than what we would draft

also notable that if you go back before 2018 our 3rd round picks have not been great so a 3rd rounder for a sure thing near-superstar is a bargain (obviously we only get him for two thirds of a season)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It was a 1 week swap kind of thing. Gilchrist was on the 53 but reverted back to the PS since it was designated as a covid replacement. So technically we have 52 right now and Williams will require no move once he clears protocols. And since Gilchrist was a covid replacement, that did NOT burn one of his standard elevations.

oh cool - i didnt know that was how that worked

Simba

Staff Member
Outside of restructuring and roster shuffling, we've gotta be done right? We just don't have any money?

I can't see them burning more draft capital at this point, either. Down our 3rd now. Traded one of our 5ths to get Proche last draft. Traded our 7th in the Wormley deal. Only in line for a mid-day 3 comp pick maybe, depending on the note below.

1, 2, 4, 5, 5C (maybe), and 6

Would think it's a minimal deal if anything else happens.

Edit to add that the comp is questionable because that's Michael Pierce and he opted out, so no idea how that changes things.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
also notable that if you go back before 2018 our 3rd round picks have not been great so a 3rd rounder for a sure thing near-superstar is a bargain (obviously we only get him for two thirds of a season)
I didn't mention this due to it being too soon, but

Justin Madubuike
Devin Duvernay
Tyre Phillips (think he was 3rd round)

could be vey promising...

I agree that Ngakoue is fantastic as a 3rd round pick and a 5th conditional. Especially since if he isn't signed we would most likely get back the 3rd in a comp pick

Simba

Staff Member
I keep confusing myself so I'm gonna lay this out again... draft picks for next year

1st
2nd
3rd (traded for Yannick)
4th
5th (traded to move up and get Proche in 2020)
6th
7th (traded with Wormley for a 2021 5th)

So we have...
1st
2nd
4th
5th (either ours or the Steelers)
6th

And the comp pick we'd potentially be in the line for due to Michael Pierce's signing is questionable with him opting out. So we're really only looking at 5/6 picks at our disposal in 2021 currently.

Only way another deal is happening is a player swap if you ask me. Maybe they really do give up on Boykin and move him elsewhere for a lottery ticket that isn't working out there.