• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Also as Rossi said, that final sentence from EDC makes it seem like there's at least one more move. I just have no idea what it's going to be.
It’s a really strange thing for him to say, because I can’t imagine what move could possibly be made unless we’re thinking of trading a player, and I can’t really think of a player we could spare that any team would be interested in.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It’s a really strange thing for him to say, because I can’t imagine what move could possibly be made unless we’re thinking of trading a player, and I can’t really think of a player we could spare that any team would be interested in.

I just feel like you dont say something so explicitly and not mean it. Especially considering I think he said the same thing last year and we did make another move after that. I could be wrong though.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Since there is expecatation that The Ravens aren't done adding a player or players to the team. I wonder if they will revisit working out/potentially signing Crockett Gilmore. Just like Dez Bryant he was worked out in August and nothing really happened after that.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Doubt it. There's really no receiver that I think The Ravens can trade for that would be highly beneficial without being highly expensive cap wise.
Not saying you’re right or wrong here but then what position do you think DeCosta had in mind? I can’t imagine us trading for a LB, DL, S, or CB—practically anyone on defense now—so that leaves offense and we’re very unlikely to trade for a QB or RB leaving TE, OL, WR. I know OL is popular and it could happen but I’m very dubious of bringing in a traded OL due to cost in draft and cap capital as well as chemistry. I’m not ruling out someone like Mack because he’s a guy who probably could make an immediate impact but isn’t his cap hit high too? You’d also think we would be in a bidding war there.

I feel like WR & TE are most realistic trade options for these reasons. I also feel like we’ve seen more WR trades than ever lately.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dan doesn't make sense. Adding a player like Yannick allows us to be more flexible with when and where we blitz.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dan doesn't make sense. Adding a player like Yannick allows us to be more flexible with when and where we blitz.
Having Yannick also makes our blitzes more successful too. It’s a no brainer that having Yannick blitzing with Campbell and Judon and some other DL with any of our DBs or LBs would bring it home more than we previously did.

We’ve had a lot of close sacks and you would think Yannick makes them actual sacks. How many times did we see Mahomes or Wentz get sacked and somehow complete the ball? I’d imagine Yannick would help mitigate that some (not entirely, that’s unlikely)

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Having Yannick also makes our blitzes more successful too. It’s a no brained that having Yannick blitzing with Campbell and Judon and some other DL with any of our DBs or LBs would bring it home more than we previously did.

We’ve had a lot of close sacks and you would think Yannick makes them actual sacks. How many times did we see Mahomes or Wentz get sacked and somehow complete the ball? I’d imagine Yannick would help mitigate that some (not entirely, that’s unlikely)

Some of those close sacks ended up being big plays to add to your point. This guy is going to allow us to get some of those back

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Having Yannick also makes our blitzes more successful too. It’s a no brainer that having Yannick blitzing with Campbell and Judon and some other DL with any of our DBs or LBs would bring it home more than we previously did.

i think the best way of articulating this is that our DBs are going to help Ngakoue be more productive more than the other way around - ive seen a ton of short passes on his tape in 2020 where he doesnt even have time to start bending the edge before the ball is out

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just feel like you dont say something so explicitly and not mean it. Especially considering I think he said the same thing last year and we did make another move after that. I could be wrong though.

when did he say that last year?

I agree with UPenn, I think EDC did say something like that and nothing happened. Doesn't mean he wasn't trying to make something happen.

Simba

Staff Member
Doubt it. There's really no receiver that I think The Ravens can trade for that would be highly beneficial without being highly expensive cap wise.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the unofficial Dez signing, but I doubt they're bringing him in AND trading for a WR. I would guess Dez is the "answer" because the WR options are underwhelming and/or expensive, while Dez is a free lottery ticket that doesn't involve losing draft capital. Just not sure I see us doubling down there, but I could be overthinking what they want out of Dez for sure.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just hope Dez brings to us what Boldin, Steve Smith, and Mason brought to us. Specifically Mason and Smith.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just hope Dez brings to us what Boldin, Steve Smith, and Mason brought to us. Specifically Mason and Smith.
Man I know I may be someone who’s always been overly optimistic about signings and trades, so maybe this is just more of that, but... I think dez in Baltimore is being slept on in the media, it seems most analysts are writing it off as if he will never play a down for the ravens, but I feel these people have straight up not seen Boykin play, and also they’re really underplaying dez’ abilities, boldin dominated well into his 30s because he was gonna catch the ball no matter how many steps he lost, dez really is in the same mold

Nurps

MVP
I've wanted Dez since draft night when Dallas jumped in front of us and took him. I still remember smashing my beer can on the floor (I have terrazzo, lol) . I really hope/think he's gonna work for us. We've had some pretty good luck with the older vet WR's. Heres hoping to more of that.

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
If we trade for a WR it would more than likely have to be someone still on their rookie contract, preferably for a couple more years so we don’t have to worry about extending him in the offseason. Michael Gallup is a name that keeps heating up as the deadline approaches. I’d hate to deal with Jerry though. We can no longer fit Marvin Jones under the cap with the trade for Yannick.

Any other names out there that are still on a rookie deal on a bad team?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We typically have our Edge stand up, while Ngakoue is in the 3 point stand on the overwhelming majority. He has a great get off when in 3 point, hopefully we let him play at his strength.