• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What is interesting is how the Ravens will handle the cap impact. RSR's cap guru only has the Ravens at $8M in salary cap availability at the moment, and assume we're taking on the rest of Yannick's $12M salary for 2020, he will count $7.5M against the Ravens cap.

So my guess is there would have to be some sort of a contract restructure coming to be able to afford that. A team isn't going to operate with only $0.5 million in cap space.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean it kind of does if you think you can get an extension done during the season and really cash in. It puts a lot of trust in both sides but it's not impossible.
I guess this would depend on how hard they were working on an extension prior to the deadline and how far apart they were.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What is interesting is how the Ravens will handle the cap impact. RSR's cap guru only has the Ravens at $8M in salary cap availability at the moment, and assume we're taking on the rest of Yannick's $12M salary for 2020, he will count $7.5M against the Ravens cap.

So my guess is there would have to be some sort of a contract restructure coming to be able to afford that. A team isn't going to operate with only $0.5 million in cap space.
and that's exactly why I asked this question yesterday. I'm wondering if they resumed negotiations with Stanley or if Peters will get more in guarantees to spread that money over the life of the contract, as it was mentioned yesterday.

Simba

Staff Member

Ngakoue got a signing bonus out of it so we're only taking on the base salary, which is $8M this year. So the prorated is somewhere between $4-5M that we're taking on. Need a little maneuvering but nothing major.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Side note... did I just discover a franchise tag loophole? What if the player agrees to a 1 year deal at the same amount as the franchise tag and then you extend the negotiating window? Is there anything illegal about getting an "extension" twice in 1 year?

this wouldnt happen because the player loses the leverage of holding out and the tag being extra expensive on the next go around

it's an interesting idea but the player loses any remaining leverage they might have while tagged

rossihunter2

Staff Member

we're only taking on 5m of his deal (4m of his deal was signing bonus)

also btw the 8m in cap space you're talking about is without the earl thomas grievance added so we'd be at 4m in cap space with that grievance filed (40% of the 10m in dispute)

still interesting to see what the move is to free up some space to fit this deal in under the cap - most likely a marcus peters restructure you have to think to free up potentially up to 4m by converting the rest of his base salary from this year (down to the vet minimum) into signing bonus

but yeah the amount we're taking on from ngakoue is actually 11/17 of the 8m base salary he had

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
we're only taking on 5m of his deal (4m of his deal was signing bonus)

also btw the 8m in cap space you're talking about is without the earl thomas grievance added so we'd be at 4m in cap space with that grievance filed (40% of the 10m in dispute)

still interesting to see what the move is to free up some space to fit this deal in under the cap - most likely a marcus peters restructure you have to think to free up potentially up to 4m by converting the rest of his base salary from this year (down to the vet minimum) into signing bonus

but yeah the amount we're taking on from ngakoue is actually 11/17 of the 8m base salary he had
So I did miss the signing bonus part, so you're correct on that.

I do need to confirm whether the $4M grievance is included. Its listed in yellow in the analysis, but I don't know if he's including it in the total.
https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/

So its either $8M or $4M in cap space, which if its $4M, it obviously still requires a restructure. At $8M, maybe not, but its also thin, and any significant injuries would warrant one.

Agree that Peters would seem to be the logical choice for the restructure.

Edit:
If you follow what Spotrac has, which now includes the $5.1M for Yannick, we should be like $0.4M over the cap actually.

They show $6.4M over, but they're including all of ET's dead money (the full $15M), which should really be $9M based on the 40% grievance.

So I think its fair to say a restructure is coming in the next few days regardless.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Dan orlovsky ya moms a hoe

He’s such an idiot. How he has a job as an analyst, I have no idea. Don’t know if that’s the same video but the one I watched had Keyshawn in it and when it panned to his face while Dan was talking, he looked absolutely hilarious because he couldn’t believe what the dumbass was saying. Get some actual solid to good/great former players on these shows for their input. Not a bum that ran out of the back of the end zone.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He’s such an idiot. How he has a job as an analyst, I have no idea. Don’t know if that’s the same video but the one I watched had Keyshawn in it and when it panned to his face while Dan was talking, he looked absolutely hilarious because he couldn’t believe what the [profanity deleted] was saying. Get some actual solid to good/great former players on these shows for their input. Not a bum that ran out of the back of the end zone.
Lol this was great, especially Spears. Marcus’ reactions in facial expressions and tone were perfect. I loved how he left Dan speechless at the end there for a good second or two.
That show is fun to watch when it's Marcus Spears, Ryan Clark and Mina Kimes with the commentary. Their chemistry is stellar. Orlovsky has his moments, but most of his moments are inept.
“These teams offensive lines will minimize this!”
Then pass rush is pointless I guess... some teams have good OL play so the ravens best bet was to not add a bonafide playmaker of an edge rusher and make no moves and hope for the best because offensive linemen exist.

Also I guess our leagues best secondary means jack shit and we’re talking about adding one good player to a cast fo scrubs...

What a stupid fucking rationale lmao. He picked Pitt to win the division in the offseason and he’s gonna go to extremes to defend his choice. We’ll see what bullshit he brings up after next Sunday lol, another round of “I was more impressed with the losing team because they didn’t get blown out”

orlovsky sounds like every analyst out there that downplayed the Peters trade, ignored his league leading int numbers since 2015 and said “he got beat for a few big plays last season, bad move by the ravens”

if there’s a team in the league with a good unit, don’t add players to the opposing unit, they’ll minimize it! The ravens have a good secondary so drafting or trading for a WR is stupid, we’ll minimize it, the irony of this is that he’s referencing KC in this video, but literally they drafted a bunch of wrs and our secondary can’t minimize it.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
“These teams offensive lines will minimize this!”
Then pass rush is pointless I guess... some teams have good OL play so the ravens best bet was to not add a bonafide playmaker of an edge rusher and make no moves and hope for the best because offensive linemen exist.

Also I guess our leagues best secondary means jack shit and we’re talking about adding one good player to a cast fo scrubs...

What a stupid fucking rationale lmao. He picked Pitt to win the division in the offseason and he’s gonna go to extremes to defend his choice. We’ll see what bullshit he brings up after next Sunday lol, another round of “I was more impressed with the losing team because they didn’t get blown out”

orlovsky sounds like every analyst out there that downplayed the Peters trade, ignored his league leading int numbers since 2015 and said “he got beat for a few big plays last season, bad move by the ravens”

if there’s a team in the league with a good unit, don’t add players to the opposing unit, they’ll minimize it! The ravens have a good secondary so drafting or trading for a WR is stupid, we’ll minimize it, the irony of this is that he’s referencing KC in this video, but literally they drafted a bunch of wrs and our secondary can’t minimize it.

tbf to orlovksy though he's right that this wont change anything schematically - ngakoue isnt going to change how we play defence on a philosophical level - wink's playbook still looks the same and he's still going to send a ton of DBs on the blitz

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf to orlovksy though he's right that this wont change anything schematically - ngakoue isnt going to change how we play defence on a philosophical level - wink's playbook still looks the same and he's still going to send a ton of DBs on the blitz
i agree for the most part, but now when he faces a team where blitzing isnt effective, he can pick and choose when he blitzes and still disguise and deceive, and he can go lighter on the blitz. the pre snap movements the chiefs did against us was probably the most damaging thing of the night for us, our backers and safeties didnt know wtf to do and guys ran free all night, just too much pressure on the coverage guys who are already limited numbers wise, and then the 5-6 man blitzes were never getting home, now when you face the chiefs you can have 8 defenders on the line all night and you dont have to send a single blitz to get adequate pressure, you still get the benefit of deception, you still get pass rush, you GAIN another 1-2 men in coverage consistently, now when you blitz its because you see something you wanna exploit, not because you wont get pressure otherwise.

shit im excited to see what our defense looks like if were getting home with 4 and dropping 7, with the likes of bowser who is a stud zone defending LB, elliott who is an absolute cannon coming downhill in coverage, queen who is incredibly explosive and could benefit from taking some pressure off with him often being the only intermediate defender, and most importantly marcus peters working with tighter windows. i still wanna see plenty of 5 man rushes, i think thats our ideal number based on personnel with bowser and queen being those x factors, but i still wanna see us be able to rush 4 and get home. thats just another tool added to the box and wont suddenly make our defense less deceptive and exotic, it will do quite the opposite by adding more possible outcomes from the same looks.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Hello? Is it me or do so many general managers prioritize things so weirdly. Like why did Seattle and clearly Tampa want AB so bad? Like why do they think they need Mike Evans, Godwin, and AB or Lockett, Metcalf, and AB? Even the chiefs don't have 3 receivers of those quality. Tyreek is a beast, Watkins is good but not even close to better than most of the above guys, and then they have a few more receivers with speed, but nothing that could be compared to AB. Idk I think especially when you throw in tight ends it would be pretty clear to see having a legitimate 3 number 1's just doesn't produce the results you'd think. I just personally don't really get it. In the case of AB I get that he's cheap so it's not as big a deal, but if he plays well and into a big new contract, I'd be shocked to see Seattle still interested.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Also as Rossi said, that final sentence from EDC makes it seem like there's at least one more move. I just have no idea what it's going to be.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hello? Is it me or do so many general managers prioritize things so weirdly. Like why did Seattle and clearly Tampa want AB so bad? Like why do they think they need Mike Evans, Godwin, and AB or Lockett, Metcalf, and AB? Even the chiefs don't have 3 receivers of those quality. Tyreek is a beast, Watkins is good but not even close to better than most of the above guys, and then they have a few more receivers with speed, but nothing that could be compared to AB. Idk I think especially when you throw in tight ends it would be pretty clear to see having a legitimate 3 number 1's just doesn't produce the results you'd think. I just personally don't really get it. In the case of AB I get that he's cheap so it's not as big a deal, but if he plays well and into a big new contract, I'd be shocked to see Seattle still interested.
I think TB and Bruce Arians are just going for names and star power at this point. I mean seriously? They may be the most underwhelming team in the NFL with this kind of roster.