• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

LSURavenFan

Veteran
no matter what they look like on film, most OTs bust terribly, it almost seems like the first round is the worst place to draft a tackle based on bust history. thats why a team with a young franchise qb who has done terrible with OTs would want to give up a 1+

the chargers keep getting thrown into the mix because they have a lot of draft picks and they havent had a franchise LT in a looooong time, and if ever there was a time to do it for them, its now, before you try to air it out with herbert and a bust first round LT and he ends up shellshocked.

i just did a mock on TDN as if we had the chargers 1+2, it went:
1.13. kyle pitts
1.27. alijah vera tucker(g/swing)
2.45. dillon radunz(possible starting OT)
2.59. trevon moehrig
4.131. jalen twyman
5.167. whop philyor

that is by no means out of the question, and i will take that shit all day, if we take a OT and a starting guard who could be a swing T then i trust our OL coaches to get a replacement out of that, and the rest is just absolute gravy. hypothetically if this were to happen. and we whiff on both of those OL, well damn, that sucks, but i liked the play, and we get kyle pitts out of it who would probably become our defacto wr1 even though hes listed a TE. on the upside, if they both were hits, then we have a third round OT who we flip for a 13th and 45th overall and save the cap space, inject great talents at 2 spots on the OL which was a big weakness, and get a possible superstar passing weapon in pitts.

tried another concept, trading zeus to the chargers for a 1 and 2 3s, then adding a third comp pick for the culley hire. i ended up with:
1. jaylen waddle
1. alijah vera tucker
2. dillon radunz
3. quincy roche
3. marvin wilson
3. ardarius washington

i know TDN means absolute jack shit lol, but just the difference in what a draft class could be if a big zeus trade were to happen.

How exciting would that be? With that Charger pick, as your mock shows, there’s a chance one of Pitts/Waddle/Smith is there for you . Big time help for Lamar.

Would suck to lose Orlando, but if you get a pick like the Chargers+, it could be so exciting

JO_75

Hall of Famer
What do you think he’s worth on the market? I think two number 1s is unrealistic but If he must go, I think a fair trade is a 1 and 3. I hope we don’t get rid of him though , would be a shame to lose a talented and versatile player with no replacement in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking two number ones in the same vein as the Tunsil trade, but settled down to say accepting a first and third would be quite reasonable. Now I'm not too sure, if Carson Wentz is going to get the Eagles a first round pick from most likely the Bears then damn it we better get 2 first round picks for OBJ.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How exciting would that be? With that Charger pick, as your mock shows, there’s a chance one of Pitts/Waddle/Smith is there for you . Big time help for Lamar.

Would suck to lose Orlando, but if you get a pick like the Chargers+, it could be so exciting
That’s what I’m saying, losing Orlando will suck but he flat out doesn’t wanna play the position, we can’t help that, and frankly I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, as long as we got guys like pat and we remain TE centric, then RTs will be expendable, Lamar can ghost any amount of pass rush from the right, it’s probably his most natural skill, so if I could pick a spot to be weak at, it’s RT.

and I trust this FO to make right on a bounty of picks if we get them, and I also trust them to make right on the would be cap savings

Simba

Staff Member
That’s what I’m saying, losing Orlando will suck but he flat out doesn’t wanna play the position, we can’t help that, and frankly I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, as long as we got guys like pat and we remain TE centric, then RTs will be expendable, Lamar can ghost any amount of pass rush from the right, it’s probably his most natural skill, so if I could pick a spot to be weak at, it’s RT.

and I trust this FO to make right on a bounty of picks if we get them, and I also trust them to make right on the would be cap savings

But what choice does he really have? He says it's not about the money but I'd be shocked if he either (1) sits out the year because he loses service time and then extends his time before FA or (2) gives you shitty play because he doesn't want to be there because that also hurts his value. That's why this situation makes no sense. He has no leverage. He only hurts himself if the right trade offer doesn't come in to EDC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But what choice does he really have? He says it's not about the money but I'd be shocked if he either (1) sits out the year because he loses service time and then extends his time before FA or (2) gives you shitty play because he doesn't want to be there because that also hurts his value. That's why this situation makes no sense. He has no leverage. He only hurts himself if the right trade offer doesn't come in to EDC.
It may not make sense, but fuck he’s doing it anyway lmao

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think with Orlando he’s trying to get traded and that’s clear. What may not be clear is perhaps he already went to the front office and mentioned it and was told no. To be fair his situation is different than Hurst because Orlando is a tackle and you ideally don’t rotate those guys like you do TE. Perhaps DeBossta said no to the trade demand and Brown decided he would vent. It’s obviously not well advised approach but it would make a bit more sense. I doubt Brown will purposely not give effort this year to be petty because I’m sure he understands that would hurt his value more than anything. These are all complete conjecture at this point but then again we’re in the offseason. Just my thoughts on it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think with Orlando he’s trying to get traded and that’s clear. What may not be clear is perhaps he already went to the front office and mentioned it and was told no. To be fair his situation is different than Hurst because Orlando is a tackle and you ideally don’t rotate those guys like you do TE. Perhaps DeBossta said no to the trade demand and Brown decided he would vent. It’s obviously not well advised approach but it would make a bit more sense. I doubt Brown will purposely not give effort this year to be petty because I’m sure he understands that would hurt his value more than anything. These are all complete conjecture at this point but then again we’re in the offseason. Just my thoughts on it
this feels like it sums up the situation well. he might be doing ill advised shit right now but he understands where his value lies and what he needs to do to max out his next deal.

Simba

Staff Member
this feels like it sums up the situation well. he might be doing ill advised shit right now but he understands where his value lies and what he needs to do to max out his next deal.

And that's where he's either getting bad advice from his agent or he's not listening to it. We're not that naive to know that it's certainly about the money. And this is where his agent should be in his ear saying that if he hunkers down now, he'll get his LT money in the offseason AND he'll even get an option of where he goes. It just doesn't make sense to try to pull this move with a deep OT class and in a harder capped year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

and also if that is the case then they've got months to repair that relationship
it's interesting given what ozzie had to say when talking to shannon sharpe about being honest and upfront in contract negotiations

and i wonder if they basically said to orlando - we'd love to keep you but honestly this is all we can offer you

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty much in agreement with you. I don’t blame him because I get it but it doesn’t seem smart at face value either to me. Then again, you never know what he’s going through here so eh.
and also if that is the case then they've got months to repair that relationship
it's interesting given what ozzie had to say when talking to shannon sharpe about being honest and upfront in contract negotiations

and i wonder if they basically said to orlando - we'd love to keep you but honestly this is all we can offer you
Great point, agree completely there. That is very likely what happened, we probably approached him about it and he said he wanted to be paid as a LT and wanted to play and he probably knows he’s not going to get that here. Pretty much where the conversation probably went. I don’t think it’s completely about the money but the money is always a part of it lol. I don’t ever buy that when players say otherwise, that’s just putting on a face. Everyone who is good wants to be paid like it. I’m great at my job and have a very special and unique skill that’s greatly in demand and I took a slight pay cut to work for a bad ass company when I could make way more. There is however a point where you start caring more about the money especially when it coincides with the job you love to do. It’s a combo for him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pretty much in agreement with you. I don’t blame him because I get it but it doesn’t seem smart at face value either to me. Then again, you never know what he’s going through here so eh.

Great point, agree completely there. That is very likely what happened, we probably approached him about it and he said he wanted to be paid as a LT and wanted to play and he probably knows he’s not going to get that here. Pretty much where the conversation probably went. I don’t think it’s completely about the money but the money is always a part of it lol. I don’t ever buy that when players say otherwise, that’s just putting on a face. Everyone who is good wants to be paid like it. I’m great at my job and have a very special and unique skill that’s greatly in demand and I took a slight pay cut to work for a bad ass company when I could make way more. There is however a point where you start caring more about the money especially when it coincides with the job you love to do. It’s a combo for him.

especially for pro football players coming off a rookie deal - they've been playing for an artificially low price for the first 3 years of their career - and on top of that they have a limited number of years they'll be able to play for

it's even more important that they make as much as they can as quickly as they can

ill never begrudge a player going after more money (even if i might be disappointed when a beloved player leaves) - and it makes me appreciate it even more when a guy takes a discount to be here/stay here

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar Jackson liked this tweet by A-Rob.

Tell him to get in line with everyone else who wants to go to Tampa lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Simba

Staff Member
So I know this happened a few days ago and was made official this morning, but I really like the Davontae Harris re-signing. I think he really helps with one of the things we struggled with last season - roster construction with STers.

Felt like we had way too many pure ST guys and Harris came in and made an impact on ST while providing some depth at CB. Would think he's the favorite for CB5/6 heading into the offseason. CB5 if they commit to using Jimmy more as a S like they did early last season.