• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I know this happened a few days ago and was made official this morning, but I really like the Davontae Harris re-signing. I think he really helps with one of the things we struggled with last season - roster construction with STers.

Felt like we had way too many pure ST guys and Harris came in and made an impact on ST while providing some depth at CB. Would think he's the favorite for CB5/6 heading into the offseason. CB5 if they commit to using Jimmy more as a S like they did early last season.
Yep, he's a low-key good signing for me. We have a nice CB corps if you think about it. We still have Iman Marshall too if he can stay healthy

Simba

Staff Member
Yep, he's a low-key good signing for me. We have a nice CB corps if you think about it. We still have Iman Marshall too if he can stay healthy

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Marshall starts getting some work in a hybrid CB/S role, too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I know this happened a few days ago and was made official this morning, but I really like the Davontae Harris re-signing. I think he really helps with one of the things we struggled with last season - roster construction with STers.

Felt like we had way too many pure ST guys and Harris came in and made an impact on ST while providing some depth at CB. Would think he's the favorite for CB5/6 heading into the offseason. CB5 if they commit to using Jimmy more as a S like they did early last season.

it's especially important if the PS rules go back to their pre-pandemic state with no game-day elevations and protected spots etc. i imagine there might be a draft pick added to the mix too - we were light on DBs on the initial 53 this year but mostly got away with it because of the PS rules - got to think that we might see us carry 11 or even 12 DBs this year especially with the injury history of our secondary

and we absolutely have to find a 3rd safety not-named Jimmy Smith because right now our backup safety is jordan richards...

so yeah Davontae Harris has a pretty great shot at the roster right now because there's only 7 obvious locks at DB and we might end up carrying 11 or 12 - and at corner his only competition right now is Terrell Bonds, Pierre Desir, Khalil Dorsey, Iman Marshall and Chris Westry - bonds and dorsey offer potential play at nickel which obviously helps them (and dorsey did well as a gunner too)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Marshall starts getting some work in a hybrid CB/S role, too

that's possible - from what i remember of his college tape he's definitely better with the play in front of him - but it's just so hard to say - he's not been on the field at all and has been injured in both year 1 and 2 and when he was designated to return in year 1 he only played on special teams

Simba

Staff Member
it's especially important if the PS rules go back to their pre-pandemic state with no game-day elevations and protected spots etc. i imagine there might be a draft pick added to the mix too - we were light on DBs on the initial 53 this year but mostly got away with it because of the PS rules - got to think that we might see us carry 11 or even 12 DBs this year especially with the injury history of our secondary

and we absolutely have to find a 3rd safety not-named Jimmy Smith because right now our backup safety is jordan richards...

so yeah Davontae Harris has a pretty great shot at the roster right now because there's only 7 obvious locks at DB and we might end up carrying 11 or 12 - and at corner his only competition right now is Terrell Bonds, Pierre Desir, Khalil Dorsey, Iman Marshall and Chris Westry - bonds and dorsey offer potential play at nickel which obviously helps them (and dorsey did well as a gunner too)

Just a note that Bonds signed with Miami and Desir wasn't signed to a futures contract, so only competition is Dorsey, Marshall, and Westry right now.

But yes, I would anticipate a young guy at S and/or slot CB to add to the competition.

Simba

Staff Member
that's possible - from what i remember of his college tape he's definitely better with the play in front of him - but it's just so hard to say - he's not been on the field at all and has been injured in both year 1 and 2 and when he was designated to return in year 1 he only played on special teams

I thought I remembered him getting some work there his rookie year before the injury, and then there were plans before the injury to do that last year too. But yeah, dude needs to stay healthy to even be in consideration right now. Counting on nothing from him and if we get something, what a bonus that would be.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought I remembered him getting some work there his rookie year before the injury, and then there were plans before the injury to do that last year too. But yeah, dude needs to stay healthy to even be in consideration right now. Counting on nothing from him and if we get something, what a bonus that would be.
He kind of reminds me of Ras-I Dowling. I hope his career isn't the same but both were often injured.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
i assume most teams would be but where did you see this btw?

I get alot of my info off of twitter since it appears that's the place to be to get developing stories the quickest. I saw a movement to get him to the Chargers

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
well whatever happens with Orlando - after last night his price probably just went up if we do have to trade him
Maybe. I don't think last night showed me anything other than what we already knew... pretty much no team in the league has depth at Tackle, and if your starting Tackles go down at the same time, you're in bad shape.

Any team acquiring Brown is likely to face the same problem too.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I get alot of my info off of twitter since it appears that's the place to be to get developing stories the quickest. I saw a movement to get him to the Chargers
I've seen similar for like a dozen teams. Baltimore Beatdown has trade scenarios for like half the teams in the league, with most of them being player+ pick swaps to get people "excited".

Simba

Staff Member

just sounds to me more and more like we're not really even at the negotiating table with him

probably gone

I really appreciate Judon and what he's done but I'm honestly not even all that interested. Getting your first big contract when you'll be 29 years old at the beginning of the season just spells disaster.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really appreciate Judon and what he's done but I'm honestly not even all that interested. Getting your first big contract when you'll be 29 years old at the beginning of the season just spells disaster.

i just really respect the way he's comported himself the last 2 offseasons with regards to these contracts

compromising on the franchise tag, not grand-standing, keeping all negotiations in-house, leading the locker room as if he's going to be here his whole career

and he's done it all with a lot of grace

probably one of the few benefits of him being an older rookie

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i just really respect the way he's comported himself the last 2 offseasons with regards to these contracts

compromising on the franchise tag, not grand-standing, keeping all negotiations in-house, leading the locker room as if he's going to be here his whole career

I’ve said a lot of baseless shit about judon, and now that his time as a raven is coming to an end, I agree. He could’ve been a real dick about all of this for 2 years but he played and he was one of the team leaders without question.

that locker room is gonna be really different when he’s gone and honestly that’s the worst part

Simba

Staff Member

Without question. He's a good dude with a good head on his shoulders (other than his period of 1 boneheaded penalty a game). One of the rare ones that realized how much even the franchise tag changes your life. Not as much as he could've made but he's also a small school late round pick who a lot of people would have counted out. Happy for him when he does get the bag.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve said a lot of baseless shit about judon, and now that his time as a raven is coming to an end, I agree. He could’ve been a real dick about all of this for 2 years but he played and he was one of the team leaders without question.

that locker room is gonna be really different when he’s gone and honestly that’s the worst part

I locker room could change for the better as well....It’s always exciting to see what new guy could step up and fill the leadership void. A fresh perspective in the locker room is needed from time to time. Perhaps Queen or Humphrey become the unofficial leaders of the D locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the "council" has slowly been disbanding - if judon's gone it'll basically be Co-cap left of the originals and Marlo too

but i guess it's probably part of a natural shift we should be expecting as the offence starts to get more experienced (and take up more money on the cap) and the defence starts to have its spending curtailed a bit...

that being said our offence is full of younger guys too - it's possible that one of the other transitions that takes place this offseason is lamar becoming more of a visible leader (he's well-respected and loved by his team-mates and sometimes he'll step in and make a speech or something behind the scenes and everyone knows it's HIS team so im not saying he's not a leader just not a player's advocate like some of the defensive guys were - different leadership style)