• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Thinking about it, this is not the "don't let the guy leave" phase of free agency. We would be stupid to lock Watkins in a room and throw money at him until he accepted, and he would be stupid to not go and hear all of the offers before making a decision because probably none of them will blow him away. That approach is for premier talent. So whether we sign him is likely in the balance rather than just slim.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
When it comes to us and Wrs idk i'm cautious as well. I'll wait and see what happens when we play against a good defense. Remember it's still Roman's offense which is known for being TE-oriented.
Crabtree and Watkins both went off in romans offense though, keep that in mind

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
got around to watching two chiefs games and the FA that stands out to me is Demarcus Robinson. Watkins runs (in those games) a lot of underneath stuff..linebacker matchup routes. We ought to be able to get similar production out of Boykin.

Simba

Staff Member
if he signs elsewhere for reasonable money - you can add that to the juju signing and call it a really bad sign about our ability to attract free agent WRs

It's a weird situation all around. I have a hard time believing Watkins is going for anything but a 1 year deal, so it's hard to "sell" him today. You aren't in a bidding war, really. Watkins would be smart to shop around a little bit. He knows what the offer is, and it's probably on him to determine if it's opportunity, money, or whatever else is most important to him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
got around to watching two chiefs games and the FA that stands out to me is Demarcus Robinson. Watkins runs (in those games) a lot of underneath stuff..linebacker matchup routes. We ought to be able to get similar production out of Boykin.
That’s a big “ought to” for a guy who has shown next to no NFL ability, like the dude doesn’t understand the concepts that he’s running, he’s just trying to be in a certain place at a certain time and hopes he does it right. I’ve lost faith in Boykin, just doesn’t seem to have that “go” mentality.

Simba

Staff Member

I do think Robinson is still a guy I'd go after it Watkins doesn't end up happening. Still think he's better than Boykin.

Simba

Staff Member
And the fun post of current WRs on the market...
  • Sammy Watkins
  • TY Hilton
  • Golden Tate
  • Demarcus Robinson
  • Adam Humphries
  • Willie Snead
  • Damiere Byrd
  • Dede Westbrook
Had to add a few names this go around, and that's depressing. Westbrook would be an interesting name but coming off of a torn ACL so probably wouldn't be an option until closer to training camp, if he's even ready by then.

This also assume Larry Fitzgerald is limited to the list of teams that's been reported, so not an option here (not that I'd want him anyways).

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't even think he's "here" yet. HIs visit is scheduled for Tuesday, which is today.

Lol I'm 14 hours ahead of you guys and forget sometimes, it's Wed for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the problem with that is that we don't get that stuff out of boykin - he's not sharp out of his break, he's not very good dealing with physicality through his route, and he's not a particularly technical route runner on that underneath stuff - i don't see where he wins underneath except on slants - certainly not in man coverage - he's found some space vs zones tbf

i see him at his best on vertical routes where he can use his stem to attack leverage and maintain momentum through his cuts

and it should be said that especially early in the year, miles was finding his way open deep and lamar either wasn't throwing it because he wasn't getting to him or was getting forced to abort his progressions because of pressure

but i dont see a ton out of boykin that would suggest to me he's going to win in the short or intermediate range

it definitely didn't help boykin's progression that he's not separating early in the route often in man - and part of that is design - but it meant that the inability of the OL to hold up early in the year made him a complete non-factor

stylistically demarcus robinson seems far more similar to boykin than sammy watkins does - and i think he does lots of things better than boykin but he's similarly vertically based in terms of his routes

I do like Robinson though...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
if he signs elsewhere for reasonable money - you can add that to the juju signing and call it a really bad sign about our ability to attract free agent WRs
They all saw what the market offers this year and I believe most of them are now going for one year deals and try to have a career year and hit the market again to land a longterm contract. So it makes sense why they prefer other teams.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Sammy Watkins
  • TY Hilton
  • Golden Tate
  • Demarcus Robinson
  • Adam Humphries
  • Willie Snead
  • Damiere Byrd
  • Dede Westbrook
Had to add a few names this go around, and that's depressing. Westbrook would be an interesting name but coming off of a torn ACL so probably wouldn't be an option until closer to training camp, if he's even ready by then.

This also assume Larry Fitzgerald is limited to the list of teams that's been reported, so not an option here (not that I'd want him anyways).

Hahaha jeez. i think the move going forward is Defense heavy. Use that cap space to fill out defensive holes, reach for a WR in the draft, and pray Lamar can pull off some miracles.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
  • Sammy Watkins
  • TY Hilton
  • Golden Tate
  • Demarcus Robinson
  • Adam Humphries
  • Willie Snead
  • Damiere Byrd
  • Dede Westbrook

i think westbrook was off our draft board because of the 2 domestic violence arrests from before college... a lot of time's passed so it's possible it won't matter to them anymore but i suspect more likely he's still going to be off our free agency board tbh

but yeah, otherwise that list is sorry as hell...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hahaha jeez. i think the move going forward is Defense heavy. Use that cap space to fill out defensive holes, reach for a WR in the draft, and pray Lamar can pull off some miracles.

Or don't spend any cap space at all and save it for next year when a couple of important contracts are due