• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I think we have to look at the entire body of work in regards to Judon. He's had 7+ sacks the past three seasons and it's not easy finding a SAM LB for a defense. Judon is not perfect in coverage but he's solid enough to get the job done. He had a hand in limited George Kittle to 2 catches for 14 yards. While he hasn't shown to be a sack artist, he's one of the top in the league in QB hits and does a great job converting pressures into sacks. I think with a better DL around him, he can definitely reach 10+ sacks. In this economy, 16M is not a bad price, especially if its on a tag.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think we have to look at the entire body of work in regards to Judon. He's had 7+ sacks the past three seasons and it's not easy finding a SAM LB for a defense. Judon is not perfect in coverage but he's solid enough to get the job done. He had a hand in limited George Kittle to 2 catches for 14 yards. While he hasn't shown to be a sack artist, he's one of the top in the league in QB hits and does a great job converting pressures into sacks. I think with a better DL around him, he can definitely reach 10+ sacks. In this economy, 16M is not a bad price, especially if its on a tag.

if we could guarantee that he'll have running mates i'd be fine paying him - i just worry about what the defence will look like if he's the only legitimate pass rusher option again - he's shown that when he's got running mates he can legitimately take over a game and he's got a propensity for making a big play when he gets a sack - 3 of his 9.5 sacks created turnovers and a 4th should have

D1City55

Pro Bowler
if we could guarantee that he'll have running mates i'd be fine paying him - i just worry about what the defence will look like if he's the only legitimate pass rusher option again - he's shown that when he's got running mates he can legitimately take over a game and he's got a propensity for making a big play when he gets a sack - 3 of his 9.5 sacks created turnovers and a 4th should have
I don't think we will be doing that again. One of the biggest problem with the pass rush is that we did not have anyone opposite of him. His situation is comparable to Doom IMO. Doom looked like one of the best rushers in the league when he had Suggs opposite of him, but without Suggs he looked pretty much like a shell of himself. I think we can definitely pay Judon and bring someone here who can rush the passer. I think the bigger issues like within the interior of the defensive line. We don't have a 5 technique with any push rush skills nor do we have anyone in the 0 or 1 tech who can do that as well. BWill improved upon that this season but it wasn't' enough. Michael Pierce also had a huge let down of a season but he plays about 38% of snaps. If you can get a guy like Haloti Ngata that would be really nice, a guy who's a traditional 3 technique would work wonders as well. I think we have sorely missed out on finding either of those guys and it has hurt this defense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think we will be doing that again. One of the biggest problem with the pass rush is that we did not have anyone opposite of him. His situation is comparable to Doom IMO. Doom looked like one of the best rushers in the league when he had Suggs opposite of him, but without Suggs he looked pretty much like a shell of himself. I think we can definitely pay Judon and bring someone here who can rush the passer. I think the bigger issues like within the interior of the defensive line. We don't have a 5 technique with any push rush skills nor do we have anyone in the 0 or 1 tech who can do that as well. BWill improved upon that this season but it wasn't' enough. Michael Pierce also had a huge let down of a season but he plays about 38% of snaps. If you can get a guy like Haloti Ngata that would be really nice, a guy who's a traditional 3 technique would work wonders as well. I think we have sorely missed out on finding either of those guys and it has hurt this defense.

there's some interior guys i really like in this draft but after the first 6-8 DL the quality or the prospects drops off dramatically - if we dont get one with our first 2 picks we'd better have brought someone in during free agency

you're absolutely right though - i dont know that we need a pass rushing 5 tech because we so often only have 1 DL on the field on obvious passing downs but if we got a high quality 3t it would make a world of difference

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
im not comfortable paying that money to a guy who got every single sack on a blitz, it shows he can’t create pressure, and Judon will get over 16m per, you don’t pay a guy that money if he can’t create pressure.

I absolute would take that money and then some to get a superior player like clowney, I know the numbers don’t support what I’m saying, but clowneys impact has never been easily quantified by numbers, he’s consistently been a dominant force in all 3 downs, Judon hasn’t, and we can get more from clowney for only a little bit more than Judon will cost.

then there’s guys like Kerrigan who is an absolute dream fit and the kind of guy that just screams ravens edge to me, if he can be had for a late third or a day 3 pick, yeah sign me up. Judon just isn’t worth what he’s gonna get and I’ll take the risk before I weigh down our cap with that.
I really like this scenario. Unfortunately, I Think it may be wishful thinking, but I really do like it. EDC!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
James Hurst suspended 4 games for PEDs - that could put his roster spot in trouble given we can save cap room by getting rid of him which we might want to do...

Also Rapsheet reporting that we are releasing Tony Jefferson which we all expected but it's nice to have it confirmed

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Wait cutting TJ gives us 12 million?!

JAAM

Hall of Famer

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
James Hurst suspended 4 games for PEDs - that could put his roster spot in trouble given we can save cap room by getting rid of him which we might want to do...

Also Rapsheet reporting that we are releasing Tony Jefferson which we all expected but it's nice to have it confirmed
That's probably why we re-signed Andre Smith. Byebye Hurst.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's probably why we re-signed Andre Smith. Byebye Hurst.

the more i think about it the less the suspension makes a difference - we get the cap space back for the games he misses (+some of the signing bonus) so in the end im not sure this affects anything and its probably worth keeping him on the roster (unless we really need the 2.5m) at least until he's eligible to return from his suspension and leave the decision until then - at that point he could be a useful reinforcement if we have injuries or the backups arent cutting it etc.

i think if anything the suspension now makes it more likely we keep him tbh

JAAM

Hall of Famer
2eax9thsfyg41.png

This is annoying. Keep this to yourself Judon. Someone on Reddit said it best: "This kinda stuff always sort of rubbed me the wrong way with some of these new players, Judon, Marlon, even TJ. They'd always make these not-so-subtle remarks on IG about private ongoings about front office stuff like some 14 year old girl on Facebook looking for attention. You're a grown man, you shouldn't have to make offhand remarks just so you can read all the Twitter comments saying "oh no bro we love you so much please stay!" Handle your shit face to face, say what you mean and mean what you say, don't go all Twitter fingers on the organization that took a chance at a D2 player whose now looking at a huge payday because of it."

Edit: sorry for the ridiculously large image

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
2eax9thsfyg41.png

This is annoying. Keep this to yourself Judon. Someone on Reddit said it best: "This kinda stuff always sort of rubbed me the wrong way with some of these new players, Judon, Marlon, even TJ. They'd always make these not-so-subtle remarks on IG about private ongoings about front office stuff like some 14 year old girl on Facebook looking for attention. You're a grown man, you shouldn't have to make offhand remarks just so you can read all the Twitter comments saying "oh no bro we love you so much please stay!" Handle your shit face to face, say what you mean and mean what you say, don't go all Twitter fingers on the organization that took a chance at a D2 player whose now looking at a huge payday because of it."

Yea I am not sure what he was trying to accomplish with this one

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
2eax9thsfyg41.png

Agreed 100%

judons big ass mouth on social media has been an issue for me, he’s always come off as self centered and not very team oriented, at least in his social media “persona”.

idk man I’ve just never been a huge fan of Judon, maybe I’m an idiot but Judon has always struck me as a low-ish character guy who doesn’t do anything bad enough to actually get in trouble.

kinda like me. A dick basically.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2eax9thsfyg41.png

i mean it hasnt impacted any of them in any negative way before today - its not like this is anything new - i dont really have a problem with it - if we want to see their interactions and stuff on twitter then we're gonna get stuff like this too and im ok with that trade off - its not like i believe this is stuff he wouldnt say to EDC or Oz or Harbs if it was an issue...

i prefer our guys on social media not to be sanitised - otherwise what's the point in them having social media - this only becomes a problem if the communication isnt happening inside the building and everyone's subtweeting each other on twitter...

Imagine cheating and being terrible

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I like TJ but that 7million can be better spent. Anyone know what James Hurst would save us if he were to be cut?