• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

interesting dataset with regards to Judon's effectiveness and double team rate vs other pass rushers - interestingly ZDS and Judon had a similar win rate but ZDS was double-teamed more than twice as often

By this metric, Quinn and Clowney are beasts but Judon isn't something to scoff at either with 12% double team rate and winning at 25%...

JAAM

Hall of Famer

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
$2.5m, not worth it really
it was 2.75m prior to the suspension, but we get money back for the four games he missed, plus he has to give back some of the signing bonus. I'm not sure what the exact amount is atm, but don't believe it's worth it to cut him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it was 2.75m prior to the suspension, but we get money back for the four games he missed, plus he has to give back some of the signing bonus. I'm not sure what the exact amount is atm, but don't believe it's worth it to cut him.

i think we get 1.2m (or something in that range back) from his 4 games (4 game checks and a portion of his signing bonus) - we now basically only save around 1.5m by cutting him vs what we save from keeping him which means that we gain very little by cutting him now but his roster spot is under threat - he will have to actively win a job vs younger developmental options

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Clowney to the Ravens.

As much as I want Clowney. He’s going to cost like 21-23mil annually. He’s probably the best edge run stopper. But only 3 sacks last year and he’s good for missing a couple of games every year due to injury. Hard to justify lol

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Clowney to the Ravens.

Give me Kerrigan over Clowney. Clowney is going to cost a team way too much and he can be our pass rushing equilvant of what Marcus Peters was while the Rams gave everything away for Ramsey. Call Dan Snyder and make it happen. Kerrigan and Judon rushing the QB.... then go after a good defensive lineman who can take up blockers and free up Judon and Kerrigan to get to the QB.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think we get 1.2m (or something in that range back) from his 4 games (4 game checks and a portion of his signing bonus) - we now basically only save around 1.5m by cutting him vs what we save from keeping him which means that we gain very little by cutting him now but his roster spot is under threat - he will have to actively win a job vs younger developmental options
James Hurst is the ultimate Ravens team player. He clearly used these PEDs to test positive so he could stay here. It also helps because it gives us four weeks to try another guy out until he is done his suspension. This guy does nothing but help the team.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
James Hurst is the ultimate Ravens team player. He clearly used these PEDs to test positive so he could stay here. It also helps because it gives us four weeks to try another guy out until he is done his suspension. This guy does nothing but help the team.
Harbs is smiling at this post with a tear in his eye. One could say that Hurst has the HEART OF A LION!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think its generally up to the teams to decide if they want to go after the bonus money. I don't recall Jimmy forfeiting any of his signing bonus money when he was suspended. Plus, if they did go after the signing bonus, you'd only get 1/16th of $5M, which is about $0.3 million. I doubt the Ravens go that route.

Ironically, and this probably sounds weird, but I think this suspension largely guarantees Hurst's roster spot for 2020. His cap number drops from $5.25M to $4.25M with the suspension, and the dead cap stays the same at $2.5M. So if you're cutting him, you're doing it for less than $2M in cap savings now. That's basically a rounding error in the NFL these days.

Your depth on the offensive line includes Ben Powers, who basically couldn't earn any playing time last year, a 34 year old journeyman swing tackle, and nothing else. Not to mention your All-Pro Guard could be retiring, and your other Guard is replacement level essentially.

You can't just cut a guy for less than $2M when he can play four positions on the line at replacement level, and you have no easy path to replace him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ironically, and this probably sounds weird, but I think this suspension largely guarantees Hurst's roster spot for 2020. His cap number drops from $5.25M to $4.25M with the suspension, and the dead cap stays the same at $2.5M. So if you're cutting him, you're doing it for less than $2M in cap savings now. That's basically a rounding error in the NFL these days.

i wouldnt say it guarantees his spot but it certainly makes cutting him less likely because its not something we'd be doing for financial reasons - if we cut him it will be for performance reasons and even then we'd probably keep him until after his suspension anyway

but at the moment he's the premier backup tackle on this team (which is a bit of an indictment) and he's the 6th OL in most situations in 2019 - his ability to play 4 different spots on the OL also gives him value as a backup - i dont think he's going anywhere but if we suddenly were to have an influx of OL that we like we'd probably be fine getting rid of him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think its generally up to the teams to decide if they want to go after the bonus money. I don't recall Jimmy forfeiting any of his signing bonus money when he was suspended. Plus, if they did go after the signing bonus, you'd only get 1/16th of $5M, which is about $0.3 million. I doubt the Ravens go that route.

Your depth on the offensive line includes Ben Powers, who basically couldn't earn any playing time last year, a 34 year old journeyman swing tackle, and nothing else. Not to mention your All-Pro Guard could be retiring, and your other Guard is replacement level essentially.

You can't just cut a guy for less than $2M when he can play four positions on the line at replacement level, and you have no easy path to replace him.

This is from McFarland the salary cap junkee...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
although It could be up to the team to decide on whether to go after the bonus money, but the amount you have Hurst giving up according to the Salary Cap junkee Brian McFarland was off. I believe he also mentioned 1.2m or so.

1m of that is his game checks - rmcjacket is correct that the amount of signing bonus we'd be going after is around 0.2-0.3m so the maximum amount of cap space we'd be able to get relief for is about 1.2m (hence the figure you've posted)