• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
that’s possible but it’s still a risk to take them fully into account without having actually signed them
True, but agents also have their reputations with front offices to protect. Just saying while it may not be a slam dunk, more likely than not, players and agents keep their word as long as the team they're dealing with has a stellar reputation. Again, there is always a risk like you say...

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is kind of what I feared in regards to the edge market. It's not fully there yet, but all it takes is one domino to fall and the market could start moving. Multiple teams in on Houston apparently and he wants to sign before the draft. Browns are clearly trying to lock up Clowney. Would still leave Ingram, Kerrigan, Vernon, etc.

I'd like Houston to sign with the Ravens. I really don't like losing that 4th round comp pick, but the risk of losing Houston makes it really hard not to want to lose one of those picks. Again, I'm not in the building nor do I have the wherewithal of front office personnel.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd like Houston to sign with the Ravens. I really don't like losing that 4th round comp pick, but the risk of losing Houston makes it really hard not to want to lose one of those picks. Again, I'm not in the building nor do I have the wherewithal of front office personnel.
Highly doubt the Ravens sign anybody until post-draft, when signings won't count against comp pick formula.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Jade is visiting the Browns again. Ain’t no way he doesn’t leave without a contract

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is kind of what I feared in regards to the edge market. It's not fully there yet, but all it takes is one domino to fall and the market could start moving. Multiple teams in on Houston apparently and he wants to sign before the draft. Browns are clearly trying to lock up Clowney. Would still leave Ingram, Kerrigan, Vernon, etc.

hasnt clowney indicated that he'd rather sign with a team later/get a team to include language in the contract that allows him to miss mandatory offseason work?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True, but agents also have their reputations with front offices to protect. Just saying while it may not be a slam dunk, more likely than not, players and agents keep their word as long as the team they're dealing with has a stellar reputation. Again, there is always a risk like you say...

it is worth pointing out that we've backed out on 2 free agent deals in the last 3 years or so because of physicals

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it is worth pointing out that we've backed out on 2 free agent deals in the last 3 years or so because of physicals
I don't know if it's 3 years, but it was 2 free agent deals. One of them was the WR from the skins who we backed out of and ended up with Crabtree, which was longer than 2 years ago and one was last year. The lineman from the Rams

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know if it's 3 years, but it was 2 free agent deals. One of them was the WR from the skins who we backed out of and ended up with Crabtree, which was longer than 2 years ago and one was last year. The lineman from the Rams

Ryan Grant and Michael Brockers

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Ryan Grant and Michael Brockers

Thanks and Grant was '18, Brockers was '20. I guess if you're not counting this offseason than it is 2 of the last 3 offseasons. I was basing it on offseasons and counting the 2021 offseason. However you did say years in your post, so Rossi, you are correct.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...wns-expected-to-strike-a-deal-with-cleveland/

Cleveland looking dangerous.... i would be excited to replace the Browns as the Ravens primary rival. Really looking forward to Ben leaving and the Steelers taking a big step back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm scared they will get us back this year. The only thing stopping them from having an elite franchise for the next decade is how they handle Mayfields contract and pick who they play. We are about two years from that even becoming a problem, however

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I know it's not possible, but hypothetically if we could guarantee that we would sign say Houston and Ingram after the draft for 2-3 yrs, would you consider taking Barmore at 27?

We've got some v old, v expensive players on the DL who I don't expect to be around this time next year and it would be fun to pair him with Madubuike.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know it's not possible, but hypothetically if we could guarantee that we would sign say Houston and Ingram after the draft for 2-3 yrs, would you consider taking Barmore at 27?

We've got some v old, v expensive players on the DL who I don't expect to be around this time next year and it would be fun to pair him with Madubuike.

id certainly think about it with barmore - dont love him in the running game though although he's got the tools to be good there - the idea of him and madubuike as pass rushers is very exciting

he's not in my top 27 but he's not far away

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would Houston be willing to wait a month? I feel we may lose out on some veteran pass rushers if we are waiting until after the draft.
I don't see a lot of teams being active in FA right now. A lot of teams think the same way the Ravens do, which is, why would I sign a guy today when a) he could cost me a comp pick and b) I've got the draft in two weeks and I may be able to get a better player at same position for much cheaper.

I think if any of these guys had even a decent market, they wouldn't still be FAs like 5-6 weeks after FA has started. April is pretty notorious "dead" time for free agents, because every team is focusing pretty much all of its resources on draft evaluations, and teams want to fill out their rosters with draft picks before they decide what else they need in FA.

I suppose its possible that like 1-2 of these edge rushers sign, but I think there's at least 4-5 that are all somewhat comparable and I don't know that we value any of them significantly higher than the rest.

Like is Justin Houston that much better than Ryan Kerrigan at this stage? I personally don't think so.

I'm not even remotely concerned about us "missing out" on some of these FA edge rushers.