• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
only issue here is that they likely are signed after the draft for comp pick reasons

but I guess if they can come to a mutual understanding beforehand you can still take that sort of into account in the draft
I understand the May 3rd requirement, but they could get firm commitments to sign with their agents no? Just guessing.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
“Comp picks, comp picks, comp picks...”... damn, if I’m a vet and a team tells me to wait until after the draft to sign with them, while another team comes in wanting me to sign the same exact day I visit, gee who do I choose? Wait for a team who may not need me after a draft if they get a good player at the same position, or go for the sure deal? Some of y’all are way too obsessed with these things. If you see a sure fire piece who would come in and help, you’re a fool to take a risk on a mid round question mark versus picking up the much more sure bet who can come in and give us a boost

rossihunter2

Staff Member
“Comp picks, comp picks, comp picks...”... damn, if I’m a vet and a team tells me to wait until after the draft to sign with them, while another team comes in wanting me to sign the same exact day I visit, gee who do I choose? Wait for a team who may not need me after a draft if they get a good player at the same position, or go for the sure deal? Some of y’all are way too obsessed with these things. If you see a sure fire piece who would come in and help, you’re a fool to take a risk on a mid round question mark versus picking up the much more sure bet who can come in and give us a boost

the difference is a lot of these guys are going to be waiting to sign anyway - if they were in high demand they'd already have been signed so there's no reason not to take our time

and with guys like clowney it's likely he doesn't want to sign until june/july anyway unless a team agrees to waive the need for him to attend mandatory offseason work and possibly even some of training camp

and idk that a player would care tbh - these guys know they're gonna play somewhere in 2021 and they are all vets so they know it's a business and part of that business is the comp pick calculations - you say we're obsessed but havent the ravens front office shown that they also are pretty obsessed with them too?

most comp picks of any franchise since the comp picks became a thing and that's despite not even existing as a franchise the first few years that comp picks were available... they are even more valuable now that they are tradable

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
the difference is a lot of these guys are going to be waiting to sign anyway - if they were in high demand they'd already have been signed so there's no reason not to take our time

and with guys like clowney it's likely he doesn't want to sign until june/july anyway unless a team agrees to waive the need for him to attend mandatory offseason work and possibly even some of training camp

and idk that a player would care tbh - these guys know they're gonna play somewhere in 2021 and they are all vets so they know it's a business and part of that business is the comp pick calculations - you say we're obsessed but havent the ravens front office shown that they also are pretty obsessed with them too?

most comp picks of any franchise since the comp picks became a thing and that's despite not even existing as a franchise the first few years that comp picks were available... they are even more valuable now that they are tradable

Yes this franchise is way too obsessed with them and frankly it pisses me off. Give me the known quantity over the mid rounder wildcard any day

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No clue LOL. Guess I’m just being salty

that's basically my point - when they've liked guys they've gone after them no matter whether the comp picks would matter or not - but they've made sure to protect comp picks where they can when they can...

they aren't turning down opportunities to sign guys just because of mid-round picks - but they are protecting those picks when there's no reason not to

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but it's also not smart business to lose a 4th round comp pick over a 32/33 year old vet and yes it is a risk, but not a huge risk with all the edge players that are currently on the market and many of them I'd be happy with, ie Houston, Clowney, Kerrigan, Ingram and in no particular order.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yes this franchise is way too obsessed with them and frankly it pisses me off. Give me the known quantity over the mid rounder wildcard any day
1. Free agents aren’t known quantities, their contracts are though.

2. Stop thinking of it as a mid round wild card and think of it as an asset. An extra third round pick can be the difference between landing an elite talent and not when you have that ammunition to trade up if an opportunity presents itself.

3. Justin madubuike was a third round wild card, we had 4 picks in the third round last year, most teams leave the third round with a player who is out of the league before the end of their rookie deal, having 4 picks in the third is how you leave day 2 with a starter or more

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
No clue LOL. Guess I’m just being salty
Successful teams are built through the draft and not FA. Draft capital is as valuable as ever because asymmetric information doesn't exist anymore. Every teams knows about the same as every other team. More picks = makes it easier to trade up and most importantly you have more chances to get the best players

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Successful teams are built through the draft and not FA. Draft capital is as valuable as ever because asymmetric information doesn't exist anymore. Every teams knows about the same as every other team. More picks = makes it easier to trade up and most importantly you have more chances to get the best players

alternatively more picks = more lottery tickets = better chance of landing a contributor

Simba

Staff Member
This is kind of what I feared in regards to the edge market. It's not fully there yet, but all it takes is one domino to fall and the market could start moving. Multiple teams in on Houston apparently and he wants to sign before the draft. Browns are clearly trying to lock up Clowney. Would still leave Ingram, Kerrigan, Vernon, etc.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

But let's not be disingenuous here either... well placed free agent signings that bridge gaps in draft failures are necessary. I hope for a great draft, but I'm also not banking on either a WR or edge rusher in the draft who will make an impact THIS year.

When you are trying to build a team to do something NOW, FA is more expeditious and often more successful than trusting a draft pick.

I agree that drafting is the way to build a competitive team and if you hit 80% of the time there is little need to make FA splashes, but come on. FA is a necessary aspect of team building and it's something that we excel at as much as we do drafting.

Simba

Staff Member
But let's not be disingenuous here either... well placed free agent signings that bridge gaps in draft failures are necessary. I hope for a great draft, but I'm also not banking on either a WR or edge rusher in the draft who will make an impact THIS year.

When you are trying to build a team to do something NOW, FA is more expeditious and often more successful than trusting a draft pick.

I agree that drafting is the way to build a competitive team and if you hit 80% of the time there is little need to make FA splashes, but come on. FA is a necessary aspect of team building and it's something that we excel at as much as we do drafting.

There's a balance for sure. As long as we have the Ozzie and EDC mindset, we're never going to be a team that goes out and signs tons of guys and forgets all about comp picks. But if the right player is there and it's a hole that needs to be filled, they'll forgo a draft pick and make the team better. It's not often that we go into a draft with major, obvious holes.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

That’s why you address needs in FA and do your best to land sure fire nfl caliber players with as many picks as possible regardless of needs. And you make less FA signings to bridge gaps in draft failures when you are picking more often because naturally you SHOULD be hitting on more talented players when you’re making more picks.