• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who here is? He’s just a big name that social media goes nuts over for some reason, I don’t see anyone on the boards particularly excited for clowney. I’m VERY excited that it’s an excellent FA pass rush class and we have several visits lined up, which looks to be the general reason for excitement.

plus clowney, if healthy, is still a very noteworthy player, remember that he was bringing a lot of hype with him last year to the Titans and then had to have a surgery. I don’t really like the idea of us signing clowney because i just don’t trust his health, but if there was ever a match made in heaven, it’s that guys skill set with wink martindales defense.

He could fill a lot of Judons role, with Bowser taking on more coverage responsibilities

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He could fill a lot of Judons role, with Bowser taking on more coverage responsibilities

if we signed him i'd be pretty excited - he's not a productive player necessarily but there's no doubting how disruptive he is - he's an elite edge defender in the running game who offers general disruptive qualities as a pass rusher albeit without getting many finishes

that sounds like the exact type of guy who'd be a pretty good fit here - it's really tough to finish with this defensive scheme because the ball comes out quick so initial pressure and disruption is really important - obviously you'd love sacks but this scheme doesn't seem to create a ton of sacks for edge rushers

clowney would be a nice piece - i doubt the price would ever be right for him to come here though

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
that 32nd in passing is a frustrating stat to keep being quoted because it’s a volume stat - we were last in passing because we were last in attempts...

in terms of efficiency we were somewhere in the middle of the pack (something like 16th in DVOA iirc)

we don’t need to be 1st in passing but we want to be at the top of the nfl in efficiency like we were in 2019

partly that requires a better pass protecting OL and partly that requires better weapons and partly that requires better scheme/play-calling

but the problem the low volume does create is a lack of attractiveness for WR free agents on short term deals which makes the draft important - which is probably partly why we’ve spent more capital on WRs the last 2 drafts than we had the previous 10+

This!

The number of attempts is only consequential if that's your OFF. If you are a passing OFF you are going to have 50+ attempts. We did that and were not good at it at all prior to 2019.

Right now, we have a dominant OFF that runs the ball. We need efficiency in the passing game, not a home run hitter... yet if the home run hitter has a terrific catch rate and comes in a reasonable price, go for it. Problem is, this year, the guys who were available were not home run hitters, so we probably did the right thing in playing things close to the vest.

The big question is how did we go from tops in passing efficiency to near the middle of the pack? Answer: we had better OL play in 2019 than 2020 by a large margin. I think that a quality OG was signed as our first FA signing shows that the team fully understands this.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
This!

The number of attempts is only consequential if that's your OFF. If you are a passing OFF you are going to have 50+ attempts. We did that and were not good at it at all prior to 2019.

Right now, we have a dominant OFF that runs the ball. We need efficiency in the passing game, not a home run hitter... yet if the home run hitter has a terrific catch rate and comes in a reasonable price, go for it. Problem is, this year, the guys who were available were not home run hitters, so we probably did the right thing in playing things close to the vest.

The big question is how did we go from tops in passing efficiency to near the middle of the pack? Answer: we had better OL play in 2019 than 2020 by a large margin. I think that a quality OG was signed as our first FA signing shows that the team fully understands this.

All I know is, something has to absolutely change for us to beat the contenders in the playoffs. Every single year they gear up against our running attack, and every year we get swamped in the playoffs because we can’t pass when it matters. Something has to change, or you’ll keep repeating the same dumb result. Insanity

All I know is, something has to absolutely change for us to beat the contenders in the playoffs. Every single year they gear up against our running attack, and every year we get swamped in the playoffs because we can’t pass when it matters. Something has to change, or you’ll keep repeating the same dumb result. Insanity
We need a step up in quality from receivers, scheme or both. In the Titans playoff loss, the drops killed us. Player issue. In the Bills loss, no-one could get open. Scheme issue (plus some OL issues!).

It doesn't have to be massive, mind. Receivers were dropping the ball while wide open in the 2019 playoffs. So a decent, NFL calibre receiver is what we need. Someone has to win in the pass game to punish teams who sell out to stop the run.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

For sure.

Look, the FO has known what it wants for a few years. Remember we were about to close on a trade with the Dolphins to bring Jarvis Landry in before the Browns swooped in. THAT guy would have been awesome here. Great hands, great ability to get open, great sense of where he is on the field, quick not speedy. Wow! Just missed on that one. And just missed on Stephon Diggs last year. Hopefully those are the kind of guys the FO continues to target. I don't think any of the FA's this year are of that quality.

I think a trade is more likely. Some names mentioned in SI the other day were, Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, or Adam Thielen. Are any of those going to happen at this point? Maybe if one of those teams before us draft an heir apparent to one of those guys. But who knows. I would love Julio in purple and black. That SB loss to NE has to still sting. He'd have a couple more opportunities at it here.

Do you draft the best OL available in Round 1 and then trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Julio or Michael or Adam? I think it's going to be interesting. I don't think we are done with the position, but I ask myself all the time, if I were the Ravens would I trust an established commodity at WR or a draft pick? Clear answer: we are more successful at obtaining and utilizing established WR talent than drafting them. Make a trade, EDC! ^_^

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
We need a step up in quality from receivers, scheme or both. In the Titans playoff loss, the drops killed us. Player issue. In the Bills loss, no-one could get open. Scheme issue (plus some OL issues!).

It doesn't have to be massive, mind. Receivers were dropping the ball while wide open in the 2019 playoffs. So a decent, NFL calibre receiver is what we need. Someone has to win in the pass game to punish teams who sell out to stop the run.

Definitely

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
For sure.

Look, the FO has known what it wants for a few years. Remember we were about to close on a trade with the Dolphins to bring Jarvis Landry in before the Browns swooped in. THAT guy would have been awesome here. Great hands, great ability to get open, great sense of where he is on the field, quick not speedy. Wow! Just missed on that one. And just missed on Stephon Diggs last year. Hopefully those are the kind of guys the FO continues to target. I don't think any of the FA's this year are of that quality.

I think a trade is more likely. Some names mentioned in SI the other day were, Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, or Adam Thielen. Are any of those going to happen at this point? Maybe if one of those teams before us draft an heir apparent to one of those guys. But who knows. I would love Julio in purple and black. That SB loss to NE has to still sting. He'd have a couple more opportunities at it here.

Do you draft the best OL available in Round 1 and then trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Julio or Michael or Adam? I think it's going to be interesting. I don't think we are done with the position, but I ask myself all the time, if I were the Ravens would I trust an established commodity at WR or a draft pick? Clear answer: we are more successful at obtaining and utilizing established WR talent than drafting them. Make a trade, EDC! ^_^

Completely agree

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Can I ask why people always go crazy over Clowney? Every year, whoever signs him gets excited. Every year, he ends up missing time or again showing he’s not as explosive as his name gives him credit for.

Who here is? He’s just a big name that social media goes nuts over for some reason, I don’t see anyone on the boards particularly excited for clowney. I’m VERY excited that it’s an excellent FA pass rush class and we have several visits lined up, which looks to be the general reason for excitement.

plus clowney, if healthy, is still a very noteworthy player, remember that he was bringing a lot of hype with him last year to the Titans and then had to have a surgery. I don’t really like the idea of us signing clowney because i just don’t trust his health, but if there was ever a match made in heaven, it’s that guys skill set with wink martindales defense.
I was this close in making my Clowney to Ravens #SIIE prediction last season, but fuckery happened.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I've seen a few people mention Houston and Clowney or another combination of two of the top set of pass rushers on the market, which would be ace.

But is it feasible? Do we have the cap space for two of these guys without backloading horribly? Or is trying to hook just one of these guys more realistic?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if you watch the bills game, it becomes very clear the real issue, and that was the OL.

now when stanley comes back and we have orlando and zeitler on the right, that will go a long way, but i think the drop off from 19 to 20 was more a result of the OL than anything, its apparent on tape, the receivers need to be better, the scheme has to emphasize more 2nd and 3rd reads, but you literally cant do that and as a result have to simplify the passing game and its because the OL is playing terrible.

give me a way to grab teven jenkins and quinn meinerz in the same class and ill go into the season with hollywood, sammy, boykin, duv, and proche, and ill trust the new coaching hires to implement guys like duvernay and dobbins to expand the passing game behind an elite OL.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I've seen a few people mention Houston and Clowney or another combination of two of the top set of pass rushers on the market, which would be ace.

But is it feasible? Do we have the cap space for two of these guys without backloading horribly? Or is trying to hook just one of these guys more realistic?
i think it could be done, but im not sure any of them are worth even the least bit of backloading, theyre all either older or have an injury history, just too risky

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think the one connection you can draw between the 2019 and 2020 loss was the inability of our OL to pass protect (to an extent the 2018 exit too)

there were other issues
- in 2019 the drops and turnovers killed us (and also just a few key plays where we didnt execute and they did)
- in 2020 the inability of receivers to get open vs man coverage and again one awful turnover that swung the entire game (14 pt swing between tying the game and being 2 scores down and 2 plays later lamar's out with concussion) - but again that play doesnt happen with good pass pro because we score 7 there and tie the game

i really want better weapons at receiver but it really does have to be emphasised just how much the pass protection has been the biggest issue in the last 2 playoff losses

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think it's probably 1 but it wouldn't surprise me if we're bringing a few in to see the various fits and prices etc. - wouldn't shock me if we landed 2 but it would shock me if it was clowney + 1

houston makes a ton of sense

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if you watch the bills game, it becomes very clear the real issue, and that was the OL.

now when stanley comes back and we have orlando and zeitler on the right, that will go a long way, but i think the drop off from 19 to 20 was more a result of the OL than anything, its apparent on tape, the receivers need to be better, the scheme has to emphasize more 2nd and 3rd reads, but you literally cant do that and as a result have to simplify the passing game and its because the OL is playing terrible.

give me a way to grab teven jenkins and quinn meinerz in the same class and ill go into the season with hollywood, sammy, boykin, duv, and proche, and ill trust the new coaching hires to implement guys like duvernay and dobbins to expand the passing game behind an elite OL.

an underrated aspect of keith williams is that if he's working generally across all positions on route-running - then that could potentially massively benefit JK because that's the obvious next level to go to with JK - using his athletic gifts and turning him into a lethal route runner and nice security blanket