• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
maybe im out of sync - but i really wasn't expecting people to be melting down over this deal - i think it's a pretty decent deal lol

i would have loved more (especially in 2022) but otherwise ive got very few issues

this is a super strong tackle draft and villanueva's already come in for a visit - he's not orlando but between him and a draft pick im sure we can find some decent 2021 play at tackle...

what id really find hilarious is if we found a way to sign mitchell schwartz lol

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really don’t care how you dissect this trade. We just traded a Pro Bowl RT who can play on the blindside to our biggest competition in the conference for the 31st pick. This is a huge yikes and a big what the fuck. You can try and look at the future of their roster all you want, but I’m thinking in the present and it doesn’t looks good for us at all against the Chiefs.
And we gave up a 2nd round pick for the Chiefs 1st and 3rd round picks.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
maybe im out of sync - but i really wasn't expecting people to be melting down over this deal - i think it's a pretty decent deal lol

i would have loved more (especially in 2022) but otherwise ive got very few issues

this is a super strong tackle draft and villanueva's already come in for a visit - he's not orlando but between him and a draft pick im sure we can find some decent 2021 play at tackle...

what id really find hilarious is if we found a way to sign mitchell schwartz lol
If we had not given up our 2nd round pick this year i would have agreed with you.

Simba

Staff Member

Expectations were too high from the start, in all honesty. We had people expecting a 1st plus more straight up. And then we had people that wanted to swap into the early part of the 1st round. Talented player, yes, but only 1 year left before a mega deal. That limits the return and people just took the talent alone and ran with it and expected a lot more.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think most of the negative reactions was the fact we traded with the chiefs. If it was any other team, it wouldn’t be as big of a reaction haha

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Expectations were too high from the start, in all honesty. We had people expecting a 1st plus more straight up. And then we had people that wanted to swap into the early part of the 1st round. Talented player, yes, but only 1 year left before a mega deal. That limits the return and people just took the talent alone and ran with it and expected a lot more.
We gave up a 2nd rounder in the trade

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I’m honestly okay with Brown going to the Chiefs. I think a lot of his shortcomings in pass pro were covered by the scheme and by Lamar. Not sure how it’ll work out in KC or how they’ll pay him long term.

Simba

Staff Member
We gave up a 2nd rounder in the trade

I'm aware of that. That value comes out to an early-ish 2nd with all pieces included. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be. There was just this odd expectation of more from the very start.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Love this deal, this is ideal for us, we have ammunition now to address multiple holes on the roster that we didn’t have before

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean i wont lie - that's where i was at the beginning of the process - but over time people changed my mind and mostly because 1) orlando didn't want to play here and 2) he only had 1 year left on his deal and there was no way we even had the option of re-signing him afterwards after he made his position clear

which ultimately meant his value would be lower

Simba

Staff Member
And one other note... I'm glad this saga is finally over. I respect Orlando and think he's a good player, but thought it was shitty how much he negotiated through the media.

Simba

Staff Member
Love this deal, this is ideal for us, we have ammunition now to address multiple holes on the roster that we didn’t have before

And opens us up for more. So much easier to trade back (assuming someone wants to come up as well) from one of those spots and add some more on day 3 if we wanted. And opens the possibility of moving up in round 3 as well if we go back.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I think most of the negative reactions was the fact we traded with the chiefs. If it was any other team, it wouldn’t be as big of a reaction haha
Exactly. This.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure what all the outrage is about. Orlando hasn't proven himself to be a top-tier LT yet (he certainly could be), and he has a mega-deal coming up. We gain hella draft capital to manipulate the board and we're setting ourselves up to be successful long-term. Sign me tf up.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Not sure what all the outrage is about. Orlando hasn't proven himself to be a top-tier LT yet (he certainly could be), and he has a mega-deal coming up. We gain hella draft capital to manipulate the board and we're setting ourselves up to be successful long-term. Sign me tf up.
The Chiefs is what I’m pissed about. Any other team but the Bills and Steelers I would’ve been fine with.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The value was decent, obviously sending him to KC feels well not great, but not the end of the world. I'm thinking what's looking relatively good right now can look quite good if EDC turns one of those first round picks into 3 more picks. We need to build up as much talent to be prepared for Lamar's second contract. I think we're doing just that. Hopefully we can really get a stable of quality contributors this year!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Might want to check the timeline of when I said that...

Also, kind of hard to argue that was a really good trade for us. A lot of the people suggesting we make that trade were throwing around phrases like "difference maker" and "gets us over the hump". Yeah, bout that...
although I don't remember when you said it, you did say you didn't think we would get a 1st round pick out of the deal.