• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pro Bowl Brown also would have been here 1 more year and would have netted us a 3rd round comp pick in 2023... 2 years from now. I think Orlando Brown is a great player but is he the one guy that is the difference between winning a SB or not? I highly doubt it.

for me the key has always been that if we were getting something for him, it had to be pre-draft - this is the class to attempt to get his replacement - we found him in a weak tackle class (and probably got the best tackle in that whole draft in the mid-3rd) - this class is the best and deepest tackle draft i've ever seen - if there's a draft where you can somewhat expect to get a good player to replace him, this is the one

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I don't think Eric makes this deal unless we were 100% certain Ronnie would be ready. It helps this class is deep at the OL and considering we found Yanda in the third, Ricky Wagner in the fifth, Ryan Jenson in the 6th, Gaither was a supplemental draft pick if I recall, I think ultimately we will be alright with Stanley & AV and a rookie or so as a swing and long term answer at RT.

Do we trade up from 27 now for someone while keeping 31?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Interesting..... so KC will likely Franchise Orlando after the season and a new deal won't come until next year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you see them going after an OL in the 1st if they come to an official/unofficial deal with him?
Depends. They're going to need a RT for next year (and possibly this year) and they could use another upgrade at Center or Guard.

I don't think bringing in Villanueva means anything. He hasn't signed here yet, and its just a visit. Even if he does sign, if we trade Brown, we will have no depth at Tackle. Nobody feels good about Phillips as the swing guy right now.

I think they need two offensive lineman in this draft. One interior, one exterior. If we all assume Bozeman moves to Center, a line of Stanley/Powers/Bozeman/Zeitler/Brown looks pretty damn strong to me. But the depth behind that is pretty bad in my eyes. I think they'd either like to keep Bozeman at LG (which is what I've been lobbying for) and add a new Center, or they'd like to upgrade on Powers.

I think they can manage with the interior if they add another body. I think they have to get another Tackle in this draft at some point though. I'm not expecting early, but day 2 or early day 3 wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: I posted this before seeing the Brown deal. Only amplifies my point.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even with the Villaneuva signing, Offensive Tackle still looks like an extremely high priority now. I can't imagine they exit at least day 2 without adding a significant player there. Could happen as early as the first round.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So who wants to set the over/under on how many picks we make Thursday night. I'll stick with one.

Hard for me to envision in a scenario where the Ravens are just totally cool with no 2nd round pick. They're gonna end up with a 1st, a 2nd, and like 6 picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds at this rate.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think Eric makes this deal unless we were 100% certain Ronnie would be ready. It helps this class is deep at the OL and considering we found Yanda in the third, Ricky Wagner in the fifth, Ryan Jenson in the 6th, Gaither was a supplemental draft pick if I recall, I think ultimately we will be alright with Stanley & AV and a rookie or so as a swing and long term answer at RT.

Do we trade up from 27 now for someone while keeping 31?
I'd say its more likely we trade down again to accumulate more picks and get maybe an early 2nd rounder back. 27 and 31 are prime spots for a team looking to possibly get that 6th QB and keep them for an additional year.

I'm not sure its entirely about Ronnie either. Villanueva can obviously play LT, and I think we're still going to be in the market for a Tackle earlier in this draft. I think its also about making sure we have depth there.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
although I don't remember when you said it, you did say you didn't think we would get a 1st round pick out of the deal.
I believe the last time I discussed this, I said we could get a late round pick. I said, for certain, we wouldn't get multiple first rounders, which was what some suggested, based on what Miami gave up for Tunsil. Remember, there were some players and later picks in that deal, but Houston got 2 1st and a 2 for Tunsil. There were people on this board (I'll see if I can track down names) that basically believe Brown was worth MORE than that, and that the opening volley for a Brown trade was like a 1st and a 2nd, plus more.

Plus its like, yeah, we got a 1st rounder, but we only gave up our second rounder as part of it. There's like six picks in this deal.

A rough calculation based on the draft value chart (not gospel), and its not exactly apples to apples since values change year to year, but basically, we netted ~430 points in total via draft picks.

430 points, in the current draft, is worth roughly a mid second rounder. So in aggregate, that's about what we landed in the Brown trade.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stating fans only think the first round is a way to improve your roster is false. We are the best day three drafting team in the league and it's obvios by how many starters we have had from rounds 4-6. That is an absolutely false statement and based only on opinion and a bad opinion at that.

I'm also more concerned with the oline, pass rush and safety, but also believe the WR room needs to be improved. We can't solve all of our issues in the 2021 draft, but we definitely will be able to solve some of them and plug holes after the draft.
Well, not all fans think that way. Some fans believe that the draft literally hinges on whoever you get in the first round.

My point was that many, many, many fans will be extremely pissed if we exit Thursday without a WR. And I think the people that think that way, quite frankly, are stupid. And that's what I found comical. They will quite literally think that the only way to upgrade at WR in the draft is to use a first round pick on one, which is why so many fans are seemingly zeroed in on "must grab WR in round 1".

I can't see any way possible where the FO would pigeon hole itself like that, and for their sake, I hope they don't think that way at all.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe the last time I discussed this, I said we could get a late round pick. I said, for certain, we wouldn't get multiple first rounders, which was what some suggested, based on what Miami gave up for Tunsil.

Plus its like, yeah, we got a 1st rounder, but we only gave up our second rounder as part of it. There's like six picks in this deal.

A rough calculation based on the draft value chart (not gospel), and its not exactly apples to apples since values change year to year, but basically, we netted ~430 points in total via draft picks.

430 points, in the current draft, is worth roughly a mid second rounder. So in aggregate, that's about what we landed in the Brown trade.
Thanks for your calculation. That's exactly what I had roughly in mind after seeing the details. idk how i should feel about this trade though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thanks for your calculation. That's exactly what I had roughly in mind after seeing the details. idk how i should feel about this trade though.
I don't really like giving up the 2nd rounder when the first round is #31. If like somebody in the teens had come calling and that was the deal, then I'd probably be better with it. Granted, the 2nd rounder we gave up is a late second rounder, and while #31 isn't nothing, in this draft class, it's not supremely appealing to me.

That being said... we haven't made any picks yet. We turn 27 or 31 into an early 2nd and get another day 2 and maybe day 3 pick, then I'm interested. We've got a lot of positions that need depth and some starting-caliber players, and day 2 looks VERY good to me in terms of value and caliber of players. I'd like to see us exploit that.

And for me, the "move up" aspect doesn't seem realistic. There's no like Guard or Tackle I'm moving up for (especially to play RT), there's no pass rusher I see worth moving up for, and the only WR I'd consider moving up for is Chase, and that means coming into the top 10 for sure, and likely higher than that. 27 and 31 won't get that done.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

interesting given EDC said we had 200 guys on our board - I wonder if the browns have had to exclude more opt-out guys and injury guys because it’s a very new front office and they don’t necessarily have the best links to college programs etc yet

alternatively they’re doing a classic pats type manoeuvre and just excluding anyone they don’t think is a perfect fit

we know that some teams like the raiders are taking the opt-outs into account in their grades (which I think honestly is pretty dumb), maybe the browns could be doing that too

85 players is a massive disparity

redrum52

Hall of Famer
So who wants to set the over/under on how many picks we make Thursday night. I'll stick with one.

Hard for me to envision in a scenario where the Ravens are just totally cool with no 2nd round pick. They're gonna end up with a 1st, a 2nd, and like 6 picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds at this rate.

Would rather use the picks that night but feel the same way. And wouldn't be shocked if our pick is the one that's used to trade down.