• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
at the moment no - but the 5th year option right now for a TE is not particularly expensive - if they change how the 5th year option is calculated for Hurst's potential 5th year then we probably dont end up picking it up but if it's on the current terms my guess is itll be about 6m for that 1 year which isnt that bad at all if he plays at a decent level this upcoming year - it would be similar money to boyle but 2 years after boyle signed his deal - the only reason you might not exercise that option is if you want to save that cap space for a mark andrews contract
Problem is... Andrews and Boyle both become FA's at the exact same time, which is after the 2021 season, and Hurst's 5th year option is for 2022. And the Ravens would need to decide on Hurst's option after the 2020 season, since you have to make the choice before year 4 begins.

I would certainly think, barring a change from now, that they'd prioritize long term deals with Andrews (obviously) and Boyle, over even a relatively cheap 5th year option for Hurst. 2020 will be a banner year for the TE market (Hooper, Henry, Kittle all up for deals now or soon), and the TE market could explode. It could easily cost $15-20M a year to keep Andrews in two years, and if you'd want to keep a 28-29 year old Boyle longer, it'll probably cost more than what we paid him the last time.

Option may not be prohibitive, but if they're using it, I doubt its unless one of the two other guys isn't in their long term plans.

Tank

Hall of Famer
He also has 2 yrs of a very affordable rookie contract and if we have an injury to Andrews or Boyle...……..then we could be up shits creek.
Hurst is also potentially a better player than both. No question he’s faster and has better hands, and may be just as good a blocker. I think had he not had the foot injury and subsequent surgery his rookie year the story would have been much different.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hurst is also potentially a better player than both. No question he’s faster and has better hands, and may be just as good a blocker. I think had he not had the foot injury and subsequent surgery his rookie year the story would have been much different.
I’ve seen this kind of thing mentioned quite a bit here...

Hurst was never a better TE than andrews and never will be, the foot hurt his progress for sure, but with or without the injury andrews is clearly a better TE, he isn’t just a good young TE, he is special. He is unusually gifted among the league, he is genuinely one of the best and leads the pack in the class below Kittle and kelce and by next year he very likely finds himself in the same class as those 2, And andrews has always been that level of talent, ever since college.

He fell for inexplicable reasons and it still makes no sense, and it should’ve been clear to all that he was the top TE and a first round talent. I mocked andrews to us in the first many many times as I thought he was one of the biggest upgrades to our team in the entire class and that included early first.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I’ve seen this kind of thing mentioned quite a bit here...

Hurst was never a better TE than andrews and never will be, the foot hurt his progress for sure, but with or without the injury andrews is clearly a better TE, he isn’t just a good young TE, he is special. He is unusually gifted among the league, he is genuinely one of the best and leads the pack in the class below Kittle and kelce and by next year he very likely finds himself in the same class as those 2, And andrews has always been that level of talent, ever since college.

He fell for inexplicable reasons and it still makes no sense, and it should’ve been clear to all that he was the top TE and a first round talent. I mocked andrews to us in the first many many times as I thought he was one of the biggest upgrades to our team in the entire class and that included early first.
eh....... you know what they say about opinions. lol From reading your post you've always had a high opinion of Andrews and it can't be argued that he isn’t a special talent. He's one of my favorites as well. But we have yet to see just how good Hurst can be as he hasn't had the reps or been the featured guy for an extended period. Due to circumstance we may never find out, at least as long as both guys are on the same team.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
eh....... you know what they say about opinions. lol From reading your post you've always had a high opinion of Andrews and it can't be argued that he isn’t a special talent. He's one of my favorites as well. But we have yet to see just how good Hurst can be as he hasn't had the reps or been the featured guy for an extended period. Due to circumstance we may never find out, at least as long as both guys are on the same team.
I’m just going off of what they’ve shown from day one dating back to college, I was up and down on hurst all throughout, I never had the slightest doubt on andrews, I was always concerned with hursts lack of attack with the ball in the air, and in general he was average at best when he wasn’t blocking or carrying the ball, which basically means nothing about his route tree was ever impressive despite having off the charts athleticism to do so. Dude is a rare breed of TE that is an absolute jaw dropper with the ball in his hands, I’ll give him that, but the things I was concerned about with hurst have been the same things that have held him back in the league.

and don’t take this as me jabbing at hurst, I want hurst here for the full term, I like what he brings to the table, he’s a very crucial part of this offense, and he could be much more than what he’s been so far, getting him some 2-3 more short targets per week with a head of steam could be enough to make him a household name because he’s that much of a big play threat with the ball in his hands. I’m just saying the notion that he could be better than andrews has gotten a little carried away here lately lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Idk why but I get the feeling we end up signing Judon long term, and it’s gonna play out like bwills contract, he’s just kinda there and yeah we’re better with him than without him but there’s nothing at all that excites us out his play and at times we will be downright pissed that he’s signed but overall it’s... decent.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Idk why but I get the feeling we end up signing Judon long term, and it’s gonna play out like bwills contract, he’s just kinda there and yeah we’re better with him than without him but there’s nothing at all that excites us out his play and at times we will be downright pissed that he’s signed but overall it’s... decent.

i think you're going to be right

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I’m just going off of what they’ve shown from day one dating back to college, I was up and down on hurst all throughout, I never had the slightest doubt on andrews, I was always concerned with hursts lack of attack with the ball in the air, and in general he was average at best when he wasn’t blocking or carrying the ball, which basically means nothing about his route tree was ever impressive despite having off the charts athleticism to do so. Dude is a rare breed of TE that is an absolute jaw dropper with the ball in his hands, I’ll give him that, but the things I was concerned about with hurst have been the same things that have held him back in the league.

and don’t take this as me jabbing at hurst, I want hurst here for the full term, I like what he brings to the table, he’s a very crucial part of this offense, and he could be much more than what he’s been so far, getting him some 2-3 more short targets per week with a head of steam could be enough to make him a household name because he’s that much of a big play threat with the ball in his hands. I’m just saying the notion that he could be better than andrews has gotten a little carried away here lately lol

Hayden Hurst is more versatile than Mark Andrews. He also a better blocker as well which was once look upon as a important aspect for Tight Ends to do. I'm not saying Andrews isn't better than Hurst but offensive coordinator can be more creative with Hurst than Andrews. I think the same way The Patriots used Aaron Hernandez is the same way The Ravens can use Hayden Hurst or any team but of course Gronk was the better tight end even though Gronk was a pretty good blocker as well.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

TE is a notoriously slow position to develop in the NFL so I think Hurst could potentially raise his game to be almost on Andrews' level. I don't think he'll ever be the route-runner that Andrews is or have the same feel for the game, but he's already got the best hands on the team and, like you said, he's a big play threat when he does have the ball in his hands (hopefully we get to see him have more opportunities to make plays next season). One thing is for sure, our TE group is special and hopefully we can keep them together for as long as possible.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

What do you guys think at 10+?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Salary Cap at $200M in 2020, and could be as high as $240M in 2021! I think we might be good on keeping everyone if this happens.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm curious why you are saying this. Do you not like him as a player or do you not want to spend the money?

Idk what they mean by 10 plus but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than Mosley was. Lets say they don't tag Judon I'd be all for going after Schobert and Robert Quinn. As for comp picks Schobert and Quinn would cancel out Judon and Pierc e but we still may be able to score others albeit probally low with Jimmy, Peanut and whoever else. 8 to 9 picks is really a solid amount cuz more than that you looking at cuts or ps material. When you look at it Schobert and Quinn could be a combined 22 mil while Judon could cost 18 mil by himself.