• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Technically speaking, both I believe.

They're technically not under contract until they sign it. However, you've extended them a contract offer that they can sign literally at any time, and the moment they sign it, the cap hit goes into effect.

So a team essentially has to pretend like that player is under contract, or at the very least, have the cap space available so that if/when he does sign, you're still under the cap.

So long and short of it is that once you extend the tag offer, from a cap management standpoint, you have to earmark that money as "spent".
Good! Now the Jags basically have to release Calais Campbell if they can't find a team which Yannick also likes playing for. Otherwise they can't sign anyone in FA.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We’ve scheduled a visit with Derek Wolfe apparently? That’s a signing I’d really like, classic ravens move. Feels like the old Cory Redding signing
I would say around the 5th week of the season I was looking up upcoming free agents and Derek Wolfe stood out to me. Absolutely would welcome him in Purple and Black.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Good! Now the Jags basically have to release Calais Campbell if they can't find a team which Yannick also likes playing for. Otherwise they can't sign anyone in FA.
no they don't. As a matter of fact there were rumors that Bouye would save them 11.5 million or 11.5 stars....yes I'm missing the FM this year! They also could save 5.25 by cutting Marquise Lee.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Of all the free agents Calais Campbell is the most appealing addition in free agency assuming we keep Judon. We then draft a DE in the draft that has potential to grow behind Judon and spell them out in passing situations.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
no they don't. As a matter of fact there were rumors that Bouye would save them 11.5 million or 11.5 stars....yes I'm missing the FM this year! They also could save 5.25 by cutting Marquise Lee.
But if they're in an apparent rebuild, why would they want to retain a 33 year old on a big contract?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Derek Wolfe is no better than chris wormley at this point

and a lot older

How about

FA- Shaq Lawson
FA- Javon Hargrave
Tag a trade Judon for a 2nd
use the 2nd on Mims
use our 1st on Ruiz.
I don't think Wolfe would cost much at this point, but I like your choices as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
But if they're in an apparent rebuild, why would they want to retain a 33 year old on a big contract?
even in a rebuild you don't get rid of everyone right away, it's a process, especially since Campbell is still worth every penny.

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
even in a rebuild you don't get rid of everyone right away, it's a process, especially since Campbell is still worth every penny.
I just really want Calais lol

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Derek Wolfe is no better than chris wormley at this point

and a lot older

How about

FA- Shaq Lawson
FA- Javon Hargrave
Tag a trade Judon for a 2nd
use the 2nd on Mims
use our 1st on Ruiz.
I like your choices, but I wouldn't get rid of Judon. There is no adequate FA who could replace him given our current cap#.
And I don't like this edge rusher class at all. My only hope is Calais

Simba

Staff Member
Really curious to see how we approach the offseason as things are starting to take shape.

At this point, I've got to think that Judon will be tagged, and I'd lean towards him staying. With all of the other options getting tagged and likely also being available in trade, his value goes down. Not too much left on the market after all of these tags are given. Might have to take a shot on a slightly lesser name like a Mario Addison or JPP, but have to realize most of what is likely to be available are more 4-3 DEs. You aren't getting the coverage ability that Judon has, and it's super important for our SAM role. I still think you draft one relatively high regardless.

Interior OL is a spot that I don't think is talked about enough. With Yanda maybe retiring and Skura coming off of a major injury, we could have a couple of huge needs there. Both the FA and draft classes are pretty weak. There's a ton of good Ts in the draft though, and I wouldn't be shocked if we pounce on a hopeful Jawaan Taylor situation from last year - a T that falls and we can slide him inside.

If we were to spend money on a position outside of EDGE, it's gotta be iDL. I think it's a relatively underrated FA class - guys like Vernon Butler, David Onyemata, etc. that could fill that interior rusher role. Some intriguing options in the draft as well.

I'll always take a WR but think we'll hold out until the mid rounds of the draft for that. Super deep class and I don't see reason to spend big money here other than a veteran flyer type.

I'm not panicked about ILB but I'd like to improve there. I think this is a wait and see approach to an extent. I'd keep an eye mostly toward the draft here but if a guy like Kwiatkowski or Vigil doesn't develop a guy market, I'd poke my head in and see what's up. I have a hard time believing Bynes wouldn't be available if nothing else prevails.

Other positions of interest (mostly depth): swing T, NT, CB, S, KR

In general, I don't think we should get our hopes up in FA. The big domino is Judon. If we opt to let him walk, you might see a surprise like Earl last year. Otherwise, I think you're looking at Judon being the big name with maybe a couple of B level FAs to go along with him. As we've locked up a bunch of our own (and I expect that to continue), I don't see us garnering much + value in the comp pick game this year, so still have to see what else shakes loose. Would think Pierce and Judon are the only heavy hitters in that regard, with maybe someone like Onwuasor garnering a decent enough contract that we might be willing to cancel out.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
What do you guys think of trading for Panthers G Trai Turner who is available for trade?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really curious to see how we approach the offseason as things are starting to take shape.

At this point, I've got to think that Judon will be tagged, and I'd lean towards him staying. With all of the other options getting tagged and likely also being available in trade, his value goes down. Not too much left on the market after all of these tags are given. Might have to take a shot on a slightly lesser name like a Mario Addison or JPP, but have to realize most of what is likely to be available are more 4-3 DEs. You aren't getting the coverage ability that Judon has, and it's super important for our SAM role. I still think you draft one relatively high regardless.

Interior OL is a spot that I don't think is talked about enough. With Yanda maybe retiring and Skura coming off of a major injury, we could have a couple of huge needs there. Both the FA and draft classes are pretty weak. There's a ton of good Ts in the draft though, and I wouldn't be shocked if we pounce on a hopeful Jawaan Taylor situation from last year - a T that falls and we can slide him inside.

If we were to spend money on a position outside of EDGE, it's gotta be iDL. I think it's a relatively underrated FA class - guys like Vernon Butler, David Onyemata, etc. that could fill that interior rusher role. Some intriguing options in the draft as well.

I'll always take a WR but think we'll hold out until the mid rounds of the draft for that. Super deep class and I don't see reason to spend big money here other than a veteran flyer type.

I'm not panicked about ILB but I'd like to improve there. I think this is a wait and see approach to an extent. I'd keep an eye mostly toward the draft here but if a guy like Kwiatkowski or Vigil doesn't develop a guy market, I'd poke my head in and see what's up. I have a hard time believing Bynes wouldn't be available if nothing else prevails.

Other positions of interest (mostly depth): swing T, NT, CB, S, KR

In general, I don't think we should get our hopes up in FA. The big domino is Judon. If we opt to let him walk, you might see a surprise like Earl last year. Otherwise, I think you're looking at Judon being the big name with maybe a couple of B level FAs to go along with him. As we've locked up a bunch of our own (and I expect that to continue), I don't see us garnering much + value in the comp pick game this year, so still have to see what else shakes loose. Would think Pierce and Judon are the only heavy hitters in that regard, with maybe someone like Onwuasor garnering a decent enough contract that we might be willing to cancel out.

i think you're 100% right about free agency - i expect us to be fairly inactive in that first wave (tbh even if we dont retain judon i kind of expect us to miss out on that first wave) - we'll be shopping for value and cap casualties in the second wave of free agency with those lower priced free agents where we normally do well - the forgotten guys like john brown or willie snead who have high level production in their past but are trying to re-establish their value after a down year or two, the older veterans on the downward curve but who can still offer us some value like pernell mcphee - the former high picks who never panned out for various reasons (jihad ward, shane ray, michael floyd)

we always go after those guys and normally at least a couple become major contributors - we're not looking for game changers in free agency unless they come at a value we like because we're not going to 'overpay' for another team's players

we kind of treat it a little like the draft - the more tickets you have, the more likely you are to win the lottery

Simba

Staff Member
i think you're 100% right about free agency - i expect us to be fairly inactive in that first wave (tbh even if we dont retain judon i kind of expect us to miss out on that first wave) - we'll be shopping for value and cap casualties in the second wave of free agency with those lower priced free agents where we normally do well - the forgotten guys like john brown or willie snead who have high level production in their past but are trying to re-establish their value after a down year or two, the older veterans on the downward curve but who can still offer us some value like pernell mcphee - the former high picks who never panned out for various reasons (jihad ward, shane ray, michael floyd)

we always go after those guys and normally at least a couple become major contributors - we're not looking for game changers in free agency unless they come at a value we like because we're not going to 'overpay' for another team's players

we kind of treat it a little like the draft - the more tickets you have, the more likely you are to win the lottery

Usually have a guy or two (a la Mark Ingram) that we have in mind right off the bat. Would imagine that would be the same this year. Otherwise, I expect us to be patient and see how the market shakes out. If someone sits idle for a little, I could see DeCosta being a little more aggressive in that regard. But overall, I expect a lot of the same old, same old. As usual, gotta keep an eye on those cuts. With little in the way of comp picks this year, could see us being a little slower than usual.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Usually have a guy or two (a la Mark Ingram) that we have in mind right off the bat. Would imagine that would be the same this year. Otherwise, I expect us to be patient and see how the market shakes out. If someone sits idle for a little, I could see DeCosta being a little more aggressive in that regard. But overall, I expect a lot of the same old, same old. As usual, gotta keep an eye on those cuts. With little in the way of comp picks this year, could see us being a little slower than usual.

it may be the other way around though - if we're keeping judon it's certainly possible that we're not due any decent value comp picks (if any at all) so would free us up to not worry about cuts vs regular UFAs

jimmy smith would be eligible and michael pierce might be the other one who would earn us a comp pick - my guess is that the best we could hope for there is a 4 and a 5 but might be worse value

Simba

Staff Member
it may be the other way around though - if we're keeping judon it's certainly possible that we're not due any decent value comp picks (if any at all) so would free us up to not worry about cuts vs regular UFAs

jimmy smith would be eligible and michael pierce might be the other one who would earn us a comp pick - my guess is that the best we could hope for there is a 4 and a 5 but might be worse value

Yeah that's certainly fair as well. Weird having this many of our own locked up. Not much in the way of comp picks. As mentioned, Jimmy and Pierce are the virtual guarantees for qualification. I would think Peanut can swing a decent enough deal to qualify. I'd think if Pierce signs a big enough deal, he's the one you might try to preserve. I'm not convinced he's going to have a robust market, though.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Yeah that's certainly fair as well. Weird having this many of our own locked up. Not much in the way of comp picks. As mentioned, Jimmy and Pierce are the virtual guarantees for qualification. I would think Peanut can swing a decent enough deal to qualify. I'd think if Pierce signs a big enough deal, he's the one you might try to preserve. I'm not convinced he's going to have a robust market, though.
I doubt Peanut gets anything more than a 1-2 year prove it type deal with little guarantees. He lost his starting job to Bynes and Fort, two mid-season free agents. He'll be lucky to get anything more than 5mil/year which would be about a 6th