• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Bynes and Fort did acceptably well for the fraction of that money - spend $$ on DL and edge instead.
While I agree with this, we won’t be getting top tier linemen and I’d rather have Schotime than the second tier d-linemen. He’s a straight up playmaker

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We’ve scheduled a visit with Derek Wolfe apparently? That’s a signing I’d really like, classic ravens move. Feels like the old Cory Redding signing

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
We’ve scheduled a visit with Derek Wolfe apparently? That’s a signing I’d really like, classic ravens move. Feels like the old Cory Redding signing
Isn't that considered tampering? How can we already schedule meetings?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Dunno, maybe the agent scheduled meetings with teams and that’s allowed as long as there’s no communication before tampering?

the tampering window is technically when that can happen - it's why players without agents suffer a bit under the new tampering window rules because the window only allows negotiation via agents and not face to face

contact outside of that time would be tampering even if its just agents

did wolfe have an option that the broncos declined or something? that's the only way this would work i think

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
no thanks on derek wolfe - also how could we possibly have arranged a meeting without tampering?
Why no thanks? He would be the ideal low cost signing, and he’s a perfect fit in multiple spots where we need help. That said, this might be bs because if agent contact is considered tampering then this looks impossible

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree - not in the least because he's a prick.
He's been OK considering some scary injuries he's had to overcome but I want to pick up real impact players if we can or go young.
Unfortunately we don’t have the cap space to do what you’re doing. We’re in the process of keeping the band together and we need an edge, quite possibly 2 edges, at least 1 quality DL, multiple IOL and a wr. We can get a wr and if we’re lucky 2 of what i just listed in the draft, and that would be an absolute homerun to get 3 starters in 1 draft so it’s unlikely. That leaves us 30mil or so to fill quite a few holes, one big signing and we’re screwed in multiple spots.

I’d much rather get a guy like Wolfe or Campbell, then add multiple guys after that like Schobert/Littleton and then make the next big signing a Brandon Scherff type. Like yeah I’d love to get a Shaq Barrett but man I’d hate to see us spend our entire FA reserve on one player

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately we don’t have the cap space to do what you’re doing. We’re in the process of keeping the band together and we need an edge, quite possibly 2 edges, at least 1 quality DL, multiple IOL and a wr. We can get a wr and if we’re lucky 2 of what i just listed in the draft, and that would be an absolute homerun to get 3 starters in 1 draft so it’s unlikely. That leaves us 30mil or so to fill quite a few holes, one big signing and we’re screwed in multiple spots.

I’d much rather get a guy like Wolfe or Campbell, then add multiple guys after that like Schobert/Littleton and then make the next big signing a Brandon Scherff type. Like yeah I’d love to get a Shaq Barrett but man I’d hate to see us spend our entire FA reserve on one player
I get that but we don't need a dickhead on the team just because he would be cheaper than somebody else.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hear Derek Wolve is visiting the Ravens and other teams on a free agent visit. What do you guys think of him? Would he add to the interior rush that is missing or is he spent?

Disregard because I just saw it's been posted... you guys are so ahead of me I feel like a sonic boom most times.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just to make sure, what happens to the salary cap when a team tags a player but he doesn't sign it immediately? Cap hold or is it charged as soon as you apply the tag?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just to make sure, what happens to the salary cap when a team tags a player but he doesn't sign it immediately? Cap hold or is it charged as soon as you apply the tag?
Technically speaking, both I believe.

They're technically not under contract until they sign it. However, you've extended them a contract offer that they can sign literally at any time, and the moment they sign it, the cap hit goes into effect.

So a team essentially has to pretend like that player is under contract, or at the very least, have the cap space available so that if/when he does sign, you're still under the cap.

So long and short of it is that once you extend the tag offer, from a cap management standpoint, you have to earmark that money as "spent".

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Jags officially tag Yannick. Yannick then posted a tweet saying he has no intention of signing a long term deal with the Jags and looks to continue his career elsewhere.

Definitely a Tag & Trade situation, you guys think we call about their asking price?

For reference, Chiefs gave up the 29th overall pick in 2019 for Frank Clark. Wouldn't mind if we gave them Pick 28 for Yannick.

Last edited:

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Jags officially tag Yannick. Yannick then posted a tweet saying he has no intention of signing a long term deal with the Jags and looks to continue his career elsewhere.

Definitely a Tag & Trade situation, you guys think we call about their asking price?

For reference, Chiefs gave up the 29th overall pick in 2019 for Frank Clark. Wouldn't mind if we gave them Pick 28 for Yannick.
what if we just swap Judon for Ngakoue.

JAAM

Hall of Famer