• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
If this were last year I would have thought for sure that Pierce would have brought us a 3rd round comp w/o question. Now I don't think that at all.

I'm honestly not convinced he's going to have that big of a market. Really underwhelmed all year, and coming into camp extremely overweight was a huge disappointment. Not a bad year by any means, but had an opportunity to really make himself some money and blew it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Any word on our comp picks yet? I am surprised we’ve heard nothing yet
I'm also surprised we haven't heard. I thought it would be the Friday before the Combine and then after that didn't happen i thought for sure it would be this past Friday, since it was revealed on the last Friday of the month the past few years.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Projected Franchise Tag Players:

Would anyone give up the 28th Overall Pick for Yannick, Jones or Scherrf? Do you guys think we could get a high second round pick for Judon?

Would I give up the pick for Yannick and Jones? Certainly.

Would I give up the pick AND pay them like $20M a year, which is likely what they'll command? No, I would not.

Scherff would be interesting. I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him, but if I could get him for a 2nd rounder and sign him long term for like $14M per? I'd consider it.

I don't think any of these things has any remote chance of happening though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm also surprised we haven't heard. I thought it would be the Friday before the Combine and then after that didn't happen i thought for sure it would be this past Friday, since it was revealed on the last Friday of the month the past few years.
I don't think there's a set time frame for it. Last year, they were announced like the last week of February, which was pretty early.

The internet says that, historically, they're announced at the NFL's annual league meeting, which is at the end of March.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think there's a set time frame for it. Last year, they were announced like the last week of February, which was pretty early.

The internet says that, historically, they're announced at the NFL's annual league meeting, which is at the end of March.
it's definitely not that late because we have them for the forum mock and the draft portion tends to start in early March. It's been the last week of February for the last couple years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would I give up the pick for Yannick and Jones? Certainly.

Would I give up the pick AND pay them like $20M a year, which is likely what they'll command? No, I would not.

Scherff would be interesting. I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him, but if I could get him for a 2nd rounder and sign him long term for like $14M per? I'd consider it.

I don't think any of these things has any remote chance of happening though.

I think Chris Jones is good enough and valuable enough that I would be ok giving up the 28th pick and a massive contract potentially for Jones - obviously would prefer not to part with the 28th pick but would be happy to give up some sort of pick(s) for him and still sign him to a league-leading deal

would be wild though if the chiefs even considered not paying him though - if you're not paying chris jones who are you paying?

Simba

Staff Member
I think Chris Jones is good enough and valuable enough that I would be ok giving up the 28th pick and a massive contract potentially for Jones - obviously would prefer not to part with the 28th pick but would be happy to give up some sort of pick(s) for him and still sign him to a league-leading deal

would be wild though if the chiefs even considered not paying him though - if you're not paying chris jones who are you paying?

Mahomes

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

While I think they will pay him, keep in mind that they paid nearly $21M a year to Frank Clark just last year, they paid $18M to Tyreke Hill just last year, they paid $14M to Tyranne Mathieu just last year, and they got two tackles they're paying like $22M combined to.

Granted, a lot of these deals are structured really well, and they'll have flexibility in the next year or two when it comes time to max out the credit card for Mahomes. But at some point, you know...

Good news for them is that they can basically pay for most of Chris Jones' franchise tag by cutting Sammy Watkins, which is likely what they'll do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While I think they will pay him, keep in mind that they paid nearly $21M a year to Frank Clark just last year, they paid $18M to Tyreke Hill just last year, they paid $14M to Tyranne Mathieu just last year, and they got two tackles they're paying like $22M combined to.

Granted, a lot of these deals are structured really well, and they'll have flexibility in the next year or two when it comes time to max out the credit card for Mahomes. But at some point, you know...

Good news for them is that they can basically pay for most of Chris Jones' franchise tag by cutting Sammy Watkins, which is likely what they'll do.

i guess i look at the frank clark deal and wonder how they can justify trading for frank clark and paying him to only let a better home-grown player leave a year later

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess i look at the frank clark deal and wonder how they can justify trading for frank clark and paying him to only let a better home-grown player leave a year later
I think they'd knew they'd end up paying both guys. Think the franchise tag is going to continue to be a "bridge" for teams to buy themselves longer discussion time.

I mean realistically, Chiefs probably weren't going to extend Jones during the season. So they'll essentially have 5-6 weeks to negotiate before they have to make a decision about the tag. Not a lot of time in the NFL world. Think a lot of teams know they're going to keep the player long term, and just use the tag to give them another four months to negotiate.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Apparently Calais Campbell is drawing interest in the trade market. Also Jags getting calls about OL Andrew Norwell and Brandon Linder.

Perhaps we are one of the trade suitors for Calais?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Apparently Calais Campbell is drawing interest in the trade market. Also Jags getting calls about OL Andrew Norwell and Brandon Linder.

Perhaps we are one of the trade suitors for Calais?

I would love Campbell. But isn’t his cap hit pretty high up there?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m hoping we just tag and play Judon. Sign someone like shaq Lawson. Draft a EDGE early (greenard in the 2nd is my favorite). And hope the draftee, sack puppy and bowser keep developing and improving enough to let Judon walk next year.

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I’m hoping we just tag and play Judon. Sign someone like shaq Lawson. Draft a EDGE early (greenard in the 2nd is my favorite). And hope the draftee, sack puppy and bowser keep developing and improving enough to let Judon walk next year.
Man i was coming in here to basically say the same shit.. our best bet is to tag and let him play cause no matter if we were to trade for aaron donald, we would still need another decent rusher

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would love Campbell. But isn’t his cap hit pretty high up there?
Would be $15M this year, which is his base salary. Also in the final year of his deal.

Would probably be signed to an extension, but he's also 33, so not really sure if you'd want him at $15M per anymore.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly, if you're going to tag him and expect him to stay, then just find a way to get a long term deal done. All you're doing is putting yourself in the same situation next year, where you're extremely unlikely to tag again, and unless he has a bad season or gets injured, his value will only go up.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Idk if its been talked about but i think van voy would be a decent addition to our team. He fits our scheme perfectly as a player who can do it all.. i also think robert quinn could come at a decent price.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree. We can't go into the next season with Turd, Bowser, a 30+ vet and a rookie. Especially with this edge class, it's basically Young and Chaisson. The rest is meh.