• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not an obsession and not a need. Just watching the endless mock drafts and seeing a pattern. If I had it my way we’d be drafting tackle round 1, but I don’t think a quality O line last to our pick. We don’t need a WR, but it would be deadly if our line up next year was Andrews, Hollywood, Batemen, and Jameson Williams. Dear god the poor secondary that matches up against that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we're not even into 2022 yet - absolutely months too early to be saying anything with regards to who'll be available where... we don't even know who's declared yet

mocks at this time of year are utterly ridiculous

and weapons are cool - but it's outrageous capital to invest 3 1st round picks into the same position in 3 of the last 4 years - and they'd better tear up opposing defences because well have to win a ton of shootouts because we wont have a defence

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Haha I didn’t even know what Davesta meant! I’m not a big Marvel guy. I just see the kids using “ratio” and “mid” and wanted to see how it felt

i didn’t feel anything

I was going to respond, but once I saw “ratio” I didn’t bother. Don’t wanna go back and forth with a 12 year old.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Haha I didn’t even know what Davesta meant! I’m not a big Marvel guy. I just see the kids using “ratio” and “mid” and wanted to see how it felt

i didn’t feel anything
Mid means mediocre, average, underwhelming, etc.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
so you're saying paying top dollar in free agency rarely works out as an excuse to not pay hollywood but not suggesting the same thing re: top dollar with regard to paying armstead...

Lol I did admit it was a homer signing. Sure I wish we had money to get them both on long term deals, but I’d rather have a solid tackle than Hollywood.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
we're not even into 2022 yet - absolutely months too early to be saying anything with regards to who'll be available where... we don't even know who's declared yet

and weapons are cool - but it's outrageous capital to invest 3 1st round picks into the same position in 3 of the last 4 years - and they'd better tear up opposing defences because well have to win a ton of shootouts because we wont have a defence

Lol ok , it’s two days away from 2022…

Two of the three receivers I’ve brought up have declared for the draft. The exception being Williams because Alabama is in the playoff.

I still enjoy reading utterly ridiculous mock drafts in late December. They are utterly fun.

Simba

Staff Member
Not an obsession and not a need. Just watching the endless mock drafts and seeing a pattern. If I had it my way we’d be drafting tackle round 1, but I don’t think a quality O line last to our pick. We don’t need a WR, but it would be deadly if our line up next year was Andrews, Hollywood, Batemen, and Jameson Williams. Dear god the poor secondary that matches up against that.

I just don't see that as being plausible. Can't say for certain, but I can't see there being a way that EDC watched this offensive line and defense this year and decides a WR is going to take us to the next level. We can't use the ones we have to their full extent because Lamar gets no time in the pocket. Adding another WR does nothing to help us.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

So you're telling me I shouldn't post my mock which have us selecting 2 tackles, 1 iOL, 3 DBs all within our first 7 picks?

Joy kill.

D1City55

Pro Bowler

People do this every year. Assume X player won't be available come draft day only for him to be there. The truth is you won't even know even on Draft day if a certain player won't be there.

I'm with you on picking a WR round 1, that would be absolutely ridiculous.

If a CB is there that we like then I would heavily consider that. An Edge is on the cards as well if we see a guy who can make an immediate impact.

IMO it's Tackle, DL/Edge, CB, Safety in that order but you can argue otherwise and I wouldn't be bothered.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Really happy for the Mekari extension, helps build depth we badly needed. We could be picking early this draft so we might end up with a Tackle in round 2 if somebody doesn't fall to us round 1 which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world with Mekari and James providing depth.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

jimmy smith gone.
Averett probably gone.
Tavon Young, who knows.
Peters coming off ACL, could be a salary cut.

Deshon, can’t stay healthy. Final year.
Chuck Clark.. meh.

Drafting a true FS and double dipping on CBs. EDC loves to double dip on position of need. 3 DBs!

Shit thats not bad lol. Replace one of the 2 of the dbs with a rb and pass rusher and you might good too

we got 10 picks total. That RB Gon be selected in the late rounds for sure!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
People do this every year. Assume X player won't be available come draft day only for him to be there. The truth is you won't even know even on Draft day if a certain player won't be there.

I'm with you on picking a WR round 1, that would be absolutely ridiculous.

If a CB is there that we like then I would heavily consider that. An Edge is on the cards as well if we see a guy who can make an immediate impact.

IMO it's Tackle, DL/Edge, CB, Safety in that order but you can argue otherwise and I wouldn't be bothered.

all i can tell you right now is that whoever we pick in round 1 (if we pick in round 1) will be:
  1. athletic
  2. play-making
  3. play a high-value position or be a blue-chip talent

marklar

Pro Bowler
i guess my question is... to who is that money going instead?

Lamar.

But to put it another way, we won't know who will be available in 2024, but if we pretend that it was this year that Brown was up for a contract and we'd have to find 16M off the current roster. Then that would sum up something like Zeitler + Watkins + Houston (possible some more chaeper players). Or Zeitler + Villanueva + possibly some fringe player (AV obviously was overpaid, but consider who we'd have there if we didn't sign him and didn't have cap to bring in another mid-sized contract instead). In either of these constellations, I'm taking Zeitler alone over Brown or our QBs would not even have had time for those 4-yard passes we're now throwing to Brown.
Again, the matter is not if he's great or not, my view is that we cannot afford to overspend on the skill positions at the cost of the trenches. If we have 2 or 3 open receivers on a pass play means little if the QB is on the ground all the time (yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point).