• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar.

But to put it another way, we won't know who will be available in 2024, but if we pretend that it was this year that Brown was up for a contract and we'd have to find 16M off the current roster. Then that would sum up something like Zeitler + Watkins + Houston (possible some more chaeper players). Or Zeitler + Villanueva + possibly some fringe player (AV obviously was overpaid, but consider who we'd have there if we didn't sign him and didn't have cap to bring in another mid-sized contract instead). In either of these constellations, I'm taking Zeitler alone over Brown or our QBs would not even have had time for those 4-yard passes we're now throwing to Brown.
Again, the matter is not if he's great or not, my view is that we cannot afford to overspend on the skill positions at the cost of the trenches. If we have 2 or 3 open receivers on a pass play means little if the QB is on the ground all the time (yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point).

so my point is that Lamar is almost definitely getting paid this year (and Hollywood isn’t) and if I look forward to the offseason after this one and the offseason after that then there’s no one obviously needing major cap space at the same time as him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar.

But to put it another way, we won't know who will be available in 2024, but if we pretend that it was this year that Brown was up for a contract and we'd have to find 16M off the current roster. Then that would sum up something like Zeitler + Watkins + Houston (possible some more chaeper players). Or Zeitler + Villanueva + possibly some fringe player (AV obviously was overpaid, but consider who we'd have there if we didn't sign him and didn't have cap to bring in another mid-sized contract instead). In either of these constellations, I'm taking Zeitler alone over Brown or our QBs would not even have had time for those 4-yard passes we're now throwing to Brown.
Again, the matter is not if he's great or not, my view is that we cannot afford to overspend on the skill positions at the cost of the trenches. If we have 2 or 3 open receivers on a pass play means little if the QB is on the ground all the time (yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point).
AV was not overpaid. He is being paid a salary of 1.5m per year. The only reason it was a two year contract was for cap purposes. He received a 6.5m signing bonus which was spread out over two seasons (3.25m / year). Yes, he sucks, but he also won't receive the rest of his contract, which will save 6m off the cap, while leaving 3.25m in dead money.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Bozeman wants top 5 center money now?? Jeez that’s 10-13 million annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marklar

Pro Bowler
so my point is that Lamar is almost definitely getting paid this year (and Hollywood isn’t) and if I look forward to the offseason after this one and the offseason after that then there’s no one obviously needing major cap space at the same time as him

Understood. It is just that as long as I've followed this team, they've always been up against the cap and had to make hard decisions and then I'd rather go for mid/low-level FAs than keeping a WR when we already have a top TE and hopefully a top-level WR in Bateman (only the future will tell). I don't see them just having money laying around to do both.

AV was not overpaid. He is being paid a salary of 1.5m per year. The only reason it was a two year contract was for cap purposes. He received a 6.5m signing bonus which was spread out over two seasons (3.25m / year). Yes, he sucks, but he also won't receive the rest of his contract, which will save 6m off the cap, while leaving 3.25m in dead money.

Ack. I only used him as an example, but if his salary is lower than I remembered, then that just makes my point stronger since I could put even more mid-range FAs into example equation.

---

That said, I think that the Ravens will do as you guys wish and keep Brown and I won't cry if so happens. I haven't claimed he's a bad player, just that he seems like a luxury as things look right now. It might be the right decisions to resign him to a massive deal, but I'd rather take a high comp pick and 3-4 midrange FAs (such as the usual cap casualties) for the trenches

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Understood. It is just that as long as I've followed this team, they've always been up against the cap and had to make hard decisions and then I'd rather go for mid/low-level FAs than keeping a WR when we already have a top TE and hopefully a top-level WR in Bateman (only the future will tell). I don't see them just having money laying around to do both.

Ack. I only used him as an example, but if his salary is lower than I remembered, then that just makes my point stronger since I could put even more mid-range FAs into example equation.

---

That said, I think that the Ravens will do as you guys wish and keep Brown and I won't cry if so happens. I haven't claimed he's a bad player, just that he seems like a luxury as things look right now. It might be the right decisions to resign him to a massive deal, but I'd rather take a high comp pick and 3-4 midrange FAs (such as the usual cap casualties) for the trenches

i think that's partly because we're used to paying guys on defence and we've got no one on defence in 2022 and beyond on any major deals apart from Humphrey (and maybe peters if he stays) - we're used to having tons of money invested in that side of the ball which makes it hard to wrap your head around the fact that we can pay all those guys on offence (at least until some of the young defensive guys start to earn deals but none of them will get to free agency until after hollywood... madubuike the only one who might get there the same year)

getting a 3rd round pick (if that) back for a 1st round calibre player would be a poor deal in terms of the dynamics of comp picks lol... would be the opposite of the orlando brown trade where we took a 3rd round pick and turned it into a 1st rounder

marklar

Pro Bowler
getting a 3rd round pick (if that) back for a 1st round calibre player would be a poor deal in terms of the dynamics of comp picks lol... would be the opposite of the orlando brown trade where we took a 3rd round pick and turned it into a 1st rounder

Not sure if you read what I wrote. The point is a 3rd + 10% of the cap (15-20M) to spend on 3-4 midrange players.
Anyways, you have your view and I have mine and no point in taking this further. Happy new year!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Reportedly both Mekhi becton and Denzel mims will not be with the jets next season.

idk about mims but this becton stuff is nonsense - was the best rookie tackle by far last year and then got rolled up on in game 1 - if the coaching staff is fed up with him then joe douglas should fire them...

becton was awesome in year 1 and will likely be awesome in year 3 too... if they get rid of him after 1 year of good play and 1 year of injuries then the jets organisation deserves all the pain that will come their way... that's just self-sabotage

but also seems like these rumours are coming from tony pauline so take them with a JLC pinch of salt

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
idk about mims but this becton stuff is nonsense - was the best rookie tackle by far last year and then got rolled up on in game 1 - if the coaching staff is fed up with him then joe douglas should fire them...

becton was awesome in year 1 and will likely be awesome in year 3 too... if they get rid of him after 1 year of good play and 1 year of injuries then the jets organisation deserves all the pain that will come their way... that's just self-sabotage

but also seems like these rumours are coming from tony pauline so take them with a JLC pinch of salt
The reports are that becton “taps out” frequently, checks out of practice early, checks out of games, doesn’t put in the work, checks out in the offseason, and that these were reported concerns coming out of Louisville that has been a consistent problem since becoming a pro.

just going off of what I’ve heard. I’m sure the jets would get a haul for him considering he’s only in the third year of his rookie deal and his positional value and being a proven commodity as far as performance on the nfl field

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The reports are that becton “taps out” frequently, checks out of practice early, checks out of games, doesn’t put in the work, checks out in the offseason, and that these were reported concerns coming out of Louisville that has been a consistent problem since becoming a pro.

just going off of what I’ve heard. I’m sure the jets would get a haul for him considering he’s only in the third year of his rookie deal and his positional value and being a proven commodity as far as performance on the nfl field

just dont see how any of that could possibly be a reason to get rid of him given that he's been injured this whole season

like it's clearly not a relevant problem that he's not at practice this year because he's not medically available to be

just sounds like bullshit to me - the timing is especially dumb - like the same people claiming stanley didnt work hard enough after he worked so fucking hard he came back too early on an injury that hadnt recovered properly at all

also... new york media beat guys are relentless and also have tons of insiders - this type of story isnt getting broken by tony pauline... if it's true it's getting broken by rich cimini or someone like that - im not even remotely buying this

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

F it, Becton demands a trade. I remember seeing his mom like tweets about how bad the Jets handled his injuries under Adam Gase. Come play with another Louisville Alum!

Last edited:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Reportedly both Mekhi becton and Denzel mims will not be with the jets next season.

F it, Becton demands a trade. I remember seeing his mom like tweets about how bad the Jets handled his injuries under Adam Gase. Come play with another Louisville Alum!
Of all the ex-Ravens to Jets we've seen over the years, they owe us. I'm not gonna #SIIE this because if that's true about Becton, yeah I might have to take a pass on that dawg, but still.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
all i can tell you right now is that whoever we pick in round 1 (if we pick in round 1) will be:
  1. athletic
  2. play-making
  3. play a high-value position or be a blue-chip talent
Agreed, lack of turnovers and coverage has been a massive problem for the team. I'm certain that it's defensive player we pick unless we see a really good tackle fall to us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed, lack of turnovers and coverage has been a massive problem for the team. I'm certain that it's defensive player we pick unless we see a really good tackle fall to us.

depending on how high we end up picking it's definitely possible a great OL prospect could be around
but my word is this draft stacked with defensive prospects who i think at a cursory first glance are going to be worthy of high picks

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I think we are already due a 4th round comp pick for Matt Judon, but given that he's just won a Pro bowl spot, does that affect the comp pick formula? Are we going to a get a 3rd for him instead?