• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That was surprising.
My unsubstantiated speculation: Perhaps the lack of interest during the HC hiring season made Wink realize he needs to do something else to get an HC job in the future. E.g. look for a college HC job to get back to the NFL later? (wild speculation since I'm really surprised)
Good coach, sad to see him leave, but it will be interesting to see who they hire and see what philosophy the next guy deploys; that might give us an indication of Harbs wanted to do something different.
I think this is harbaugh just evolving with the league. He’s always had his moments of stubbornness but in other areas has always been innovative and adaptive. I think he’s just realizing that you need to be more well rounded on defense in todays league, you gotta stress the qbs arm more than his legs.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't dislike Wink, but his defense required specific types of players. His defense without that on field coach (like Mosley or Weddle) just doesn't fully function.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wouldn't be surprised if it was done to promote a specific person so he doesn't jump ship for a higher position.

Looking at the in house guys, Weaver has past experience as a DC, and did pretty well. He got Clowney into the probowl.

He also ran more of a 4-3 which I would love to get back too. Rebuild a strong front 4.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’d like to see us get another explosive/rangy off ball LB and another standup rusher and another DT, and run a 2-4 type of defense, 2 down linemen and 4 standup backers, any of the 4 could rush or drop, with guys like oweh and queen and bowser we have most of the LB corps covered, if we could land a nakobe Dean and a travon walker/demarvin leal in the draft this hear(say if Dean falls somehow) then I’d begin getting really excited.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d like to see us get another explosive/rangy off ball LB and another standup rusher and another DT, and run a 2-4 type of defense, 2 down linemen and 4 standup backers, any of the 4 could rush or drop, with guys like oweh and queen and bowser we have most of the LB corps covered, if we could land a nakobe Dean and a travon walker/demarvin leal in the draft this hear(say if Dean falls somehow) then I’d begin getting really excited.

I could see Queen being used as a joker/rover and line him up all over the field and use him the majority of the time on blitzes out of a formation like this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He also ran more of a 4-3 which I would love to get back too. Rebuild a strong front 4.

it's not going to happen lol - people seem basically obsessed at times with this idea of going back to a 4-3

harbs likes 2-gapping too much and there's been no obvious reason to change it - and with bowser and queen it doesn't make a ton of sense to move to a 1-gap type system imo

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean this is basically what our base defence already is - we run a ton of 4-2-5 or 2-4-5 (both functionally the same when you run a 3-4 base)

how would demarvin leal fit in this kind of defence because he's not a LB but i dont think he's a full-time interior player whereas i think Walker's someone you can use all across the front and can drop into coverage if you really want to (albeit id rather this wasnt a regular occurrence lol)

i just dont know that what you're suggesting isnt what we basically already run just with young talent added to the defence

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's not going to happen lol - people seem basically obsessed at times with this idea of going back to a 4-3

harbs likes 2-gapping too much and there's been no obvious reason to change it - and with bowser and queen it doesn't make a ton of sense to move to a 1-gap type system imo

Yeah I'm not sure where to line up Queen either thats why I'm suggesting some sort of rover position for him. He's a good pass rusher and his speed really works on delayed blitzes but if you put Oweh and Houston's hands in the dirt which I believe gives you more pushoff (trackstars start out of this position) and line up either Queen or Clark to follow it could be advantageous to our passrush. Bowser would still line up the majority of the time on the strong side.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I could see Queen being used as a joker/rover and line him up all over the field and use him the majority of the time on blitzes out of a formation like this.

the 1st part of your statement seems antithetical to the 2nd part

as a rover he'd basically spend his entire time in man coverage and rarely lined up near the TE-box which makes him less of a threat to blitz - and he's not micah parsons with his edge rushing so he's not going to be a joker either

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
the 1st part of your statement seems antithetical to the 2nd part

as a rover he'd basically spend his entire time in man coverage and rarely lined up near the TE-box which makes him less of a threat to blitz - and he's not micah parsons with his edge rushing so he's not going to be a joker either

My rover passrushes. :lol:

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean this is basically what our base defence already is - we run a ton of 4-2-5 or 2-4-5 (both functionally the same when you run a 3-4 base)

how would demarvin leal fit in this kind of defence because he's not a LB but i dont think he's a full-time interior player whereas i think Walker's someone you can use all across the front and can drop into coverage if you really want to (albeit id rather this wasnt a regular occurrence lol)

i just dont know that what you're suggesting isnt what we basically already run just with young talent added to the defence
Well essentially it’s less about 2 gapping and stunting to clear out blockers for layered blitzes, and more about letting guys attack the qb and win their matchups. So I guess philosophy change more than scheme change. I like the multiple fronts but I think we execute it in a way that keeps players from using their talents

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens' version of 3-4 is basically just an offset version of the 4-3, it's just that either one of the two edges will act like a DE in that play and the other might play in space. The personnel wouldn't really change.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
then wth does your rover do lol?

My rover moves all over the box to passrush lol. Queen imo should definitely be more used as a passrusher blitzing from inside or outside. When not rushing be used in zone or spy. We just need a piece that's not designated to certain assignments. Chuck Clark could fill this role too which makes offensive coordinators not know which one is coming. One thing I hated about Wink's defense is showing blitz and then backpedalling into coverage. Just too damn cute. With a 4 man front you're coming then use Queen,Clark and Bowser as extra blitzers.I understand the disguises but use a lot less of this shit.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well essentially it’s less about 2 gapping and stunting to clear out blockers for layered blitzes, and more about letting guys attack the qb and win their matchups. So I guess philosophy change more than scheme change. I like the multiple fronts but I think we execute it in a way that keeps players from using their talents

on that for sure id be very excited to see us find a way to create 4-man pressures with that kind of front 7 (or i guess front 6 lol)

i think someone like travon walker would allow you to get really exciting on 3rd downs and passing downs because he has that interior rush flexibility (as well as being a true edge threat) - means you can put 3 (or even 4) EDGE guys on the field at once - would also mean Oweh probably rushing more from the edge and not being asked to spike inside or do that as much

i think what i want though is not major change but a slightly philosophical change from a blitz-pressure type scheme to a more simulated pressure type scheme where you're trying to create mismatches not by adding extra rushers but by making it difficult to identify the rush - bowser's built for that kind of defence where you have him stood over the nose tackle or at the edge - feels like we did that way more when we had judon and bowser together and didnt do it as much this year where we dropped both of those guys into coverage and created mismatches and free rushers but still dropped 6 or 7 into coverage

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My rover moves all over the box to passrush lol. Queen imo should definitely be more used as a passrusher blitzing from inside or outside. When not rushing be used in zone or spy. We just need a piece that's not designated to certain assignments. Chuck Clark could fill this role too which makes offensive coordinators not know which one is coming. One thing I hated about Wink's defense is showing blitz and then backpedalling into coverage. Just too damn cute. With a 4 man front you're coming then use Queen,Clark and Bowser as extra blitzers.I understand the disguises but use a lot less of this shit.

i guess we agree to disagree - i think the best part of wink's defences was the pressure disguise (when we actually bailed out of pressure) - i love how difficult it is for a QB to work out who's rushing and who's dropping