• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess we agree to disagree - i think the best part of wink's defences was the pressure disguise (when we actually bailed out of pressure) - i love how difficult it is for a QB to work out who's rushing and who's dropping

My problem is backpedalling into coverage puts you at a disadvantage with footwork. If you have a strong enough front 4 it shouldn't matter if you know they're coming. To me I don't see why you still can't 2 gap out of a 4-3. When it comes to the secondary you want to keep the play in front of you since I like to see press man and more chipping trying to throw people off their routes. Everybody likes diffrent flavored ice cream and I just used to love the days of McCrary,Big Sam,Goose and Burnett with physical corners and of course the awesome MLB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My problem is backpedalling into coverage puts you at a disadvantage with footwork. If you have a strong enough front 4 it shouldn't matter if you know they're coming. To me I don't see why you still can't 2 gap out of a 4-3. When it comes to the secondary you want to keep the play in front of you since I like to see press man and more chipping trying to throw people off their routes. Everybody likes diffrent flavored ice cream and I just used to love the days of McCrary,Big Sam,Goose and Burnett with physical corners and of course the awesome MLB.

you need incredible amounts of talent on defence to just be able to sit in a coverage without disguise and not get picked apart - there's no coverage that has no weaknesses

in terms of 2-gapping out of a 4-3 - what would be the point? and i guess at that point what would be the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 on a functional level?

in terms of keeping the play in front of you - well press man isnt going to do that because that's the exact kind of coverage style that naturally puts your corners in trail position (which is why you need good corners to consistently play press man with no safety help)

much of the NFL is not pressing with their corners anymore for exactly that reason

if you dont disguise coverage, the best QBs in the league will pick you apart - and lots of the not-great QBs will do it too

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
then wth does your rover do lol?
I feel like both of you are getting terminology mixed up lol, rover is usually a safety type who can do all kinds of shit, blitz, pick up screens, hold certain zones, etc. and robber is usually a safety/dimebacker who “robs” key routes, such as the back leaking out on designed dump offs, TE flats, or other high percentage throws designed to get close to the chains on first downs or to convert 3rd and short.

either way, they aren’t typically filled by an LB, maybe a heavy safety who’s converted to LB like a deone bucannon, both of our safeties are definitely rover types, but Elliott has made a ton of plays as a robber, particularly against the browns and titans.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel like both of you are getting terminology mixed up lol, rover is usually a safety type who can do all kinds of shit, blitz, pick up screens, hold certain zones, etc. and robber is usually a safety/dimebacker who “robs” key routes, such as the back leaking out on designed dump offs, TE flats, or other high percentage throws designed to get close to the chains on first downs or to convert 3rd and short.

either way, they aren’t typically filled by an LB, maybe a heavy safety who’s converted to LB like a deone bucannon, both of our safeties are definitely rover types, but Elliott has made a ton of plays as a robber, particularly against the browns and titans.

for me a rover was often a light LB or a heavy DB dimebacker type who you often matchup vs dangerous offensive weapons in coverage

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So no insight on who’s the next DC?

we've got no clues - but form suggests it's an internal hire

and unless they have fallen in love with one of the newer younger guys like D'Anton Lynn and Drew Wilkins (who'll both be at the east-west shrine - Lynn as HC and Wilkins as DC) then it's going to be Chris Hewitt or Anthony Weaver

Chris Hewitt's the pass game coordinator
Anthony Weaver's the run game coordinator and has a year of playcalling experience with the Texans

cant see them going with rob ryan given they moved on from Wink most likely for some sort of philosophical differences and ryan's the most ideologically aligned with wink

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

and unless they have fallen in love with one of the newer younger guys like D'Anton Lynn and Drew Wilkins (who'll both be at the east-west shrine - Lynn as HC and Wilkins as DC) then it's going to be Chris Hewitt or Anthony Weaver

Anthony Weaver's the run game coordinator and has a year of playcalling experience with the Texans

cant see them going with rob ryan given they moved on from Wink most likely for some sort of philosophical differences and ryan's the most ideologically aligned with wink
If there are no 'sources' yet, it's an internal promotion.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was going to make this comment, but noticed you already did. I'll add that he'd have multiple interviews lined up before he reached his car.

Yea our guy is far from perfect , but I’m happy to role with him for a while longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there are no 'sources' yet, it's an internal promotion.

I’m thinking the only external option is McDonald. And maybe Cullen. What type of defense did they run at Michigan and Jacksonville?

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I don't think anyone has mentioned Teryl Austin as a possible DC candidate yet. With Keith Butler retiring from the Steelers, if he isn't being considered for their DC position I wonder if he would be open to coming back here. He was our DB coach for a few years and has multiple years of DC experience.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For once I wanna see a in-house hire and we do this…

would be interesting - since 2018 he's been the pass game coordinator of multiple teams - packers under DC mike pettine, browns under DC steve wilks, Falcons under HC Dan Quinn (no DC), cowboys under DC Dan Quinn

before that he was cornerbacks coach since 2009 with the packers under Dom Capers

mostly 4-3 schemes since 2019 but all 3-4 with the packers before then

probably not that instructive tbh given he was the pass game coordinator
but interesting that we've put the interview request in for another team's pass game coordinator and if we hire him we'll be promoting him over the internal pass game coordinator and run game coordinator

i guess im surprised more than anything that there wasnt a ready-made candidate to go

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wtf.. dont know what he brings to the table but cowboys and secondary havent been a good thing last 90yrs

i mean no but their defence was pretty good this year and despite giving up a ton of yards they had a ton of turnovers including Diggs's 10 INTs

we gave up more yards than anyone in the passing game this year and also forced no turnovers - that would be one thing i'd look at as maybe a catalyst for this in some way

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i mean no but their defence was pretty good this year and despite giving up a ton of yards they had a ton of turnovers including Diggs's 10 INTs

we gave up more yards than anyone in the passing game this year and also forced no turnovers - that would be one thing i'd look at as maybe a catalyst for this in some way
diggs has crazy ball skills with or with out that coach and we dnt have a diggs so we likely will continue to give up yards just like cowboys did. If we gonna go after guys like this, we were better off keeping wink and giving him one more chance with a healthy team

rossihunter2

Staff Member
diggs has crazy ball skills with or with out that coach and we dnt have a diggs so we likely will continue to give up yards just like cowboys did. If we gonna go after guys like this, we were better off keeping wink and giving him one more chance with a healthy team

there's more to INTs than ball skills
and who knows what a joe whitt defence looks like - just pointing out one of the positives in his group from this year

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
there's more to INTs than ball skills
and who knows what a joe whitt defence looks like - just pointing out one of the positives in his group from this year
maybe he has a history of his defenses getting turnovers and have had some good playcalling duties in his past?….. naw just seen his history and its not impressive at all. he has some experience though so maybe he could be better as dc

Last edited: