• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Seems like the whispers are growing that there could be a delay in FA. Booooo

Teams are clearly not operating as if there's going to be a delay, however.

For what? Most of the deals get done in the tampering period all over the phone and you can sign contracts through Docusign & PDFs that can be emailed to the players. Then the players can just take selfies with the contract saying they signed it lol.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Seems like the whispers are growing that there could be a delay in FA. Booooo

Teams are clearly not operating as if there's going to be a delay, however.
maybe they are delaying FA until the Ravens have 60m in available cap space as our friend ... insists.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I don’t understand how he can still have a job anywhere - he has no football sense, no ability to analyse and on top of everything else he’s supposed to be an insider but either he has no contacts or his contacts frequently just outright lie to him

I think any one of us could be more credible than *** ever could be.
See why we censor his name? Until further notice, he is not to be taken seriously. I don't know if it was this thread or not, but @rmcjacket23 did a great job refuting his nonsense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
See why we censor his name? Until further notice, he is not to be taken seriously. I don't know if it was this thread or not, but @rmcjacket23 did a great job refuting his nonsense.
I refuse to censor because I love my 2 names for him way more than ***, yeah, they’re crude and childish, but Jason Lacanfuckface and LaCanfuckoff have a certain ring to it

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I think it was smart to tag Judon. We can’t let him walk in free agency without getting something for him and still having a big hole to fill.

Simba

Staff Member
Re-signed De’Anthony Thomas this morning. Still need to add another returner at least, because I’d prefer not to see Thomas back there come September

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Re-signed De’Anthony Thomas this morning. Still need to add another returner at least, because I’d prefer not to see Thomas back there come September
agreed but there's no harm in this deal - it's a vet minimum type deal that because of rule of 51 basically has no impact on the cap - he functions as the leader in the return department and also another camp body at wr

it's a good re-signing

Simba

Staff Member
Per Jeff:

Ravens still getting some work done on signing their own pending free agents. Per sources, they're finalizing a deal with OLB/DE Jihad Ward who played well for them after he was picked up last year.

Simba

Staff Member
Just doing some quick math... we really aren't going to have too much room to play in FA with how much we've invested into our own guys (and I'm not mad about it).

McFarland has us at $37.7M left right now. Add in Judon's tag at around $16M and we're down to $21.7M already.

Add in Skura on a 2nd round tender (just a guess) and that's probably an additional $3M or so. $18.7M

Would think if we do re-sign Ward officially and someone like Levine, they'll probably be over $1M on the cap hit. Let's just say another $3M as an estimate, but absolutely could be lower. $15.7M

Assuming all of the above happens, that puts us with 46 on the roster. Still need 5 guys for now (rule of 51) and that's an additional $2.5M or so. $13.2M.

Need to save some for the draft pool and emergency funds as well. Not sure what exactly that will be.

Only real cost cutting measures left are a Judon extension (lower cap hit in year 1) and a Carr cut which would be $6M.

Enough to make a couple of moves but nothing significant that I would expect.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just doing some quick math... we really aren't going to have too much room to play in FA with how much we've invested into our own guys (and I'm not mad about it).

McFarland has us at $37.7M left right now. Add in Judon's tag at around $16M and we're down to $21.7M already.

Add in Skura on a 2nd round tender (just a guess) and that's probably an additional $3M or so. $18.7M

Would think if we do re-sign Ward officially and someone like Levine, they'll probably be over $1M on the cap hit. Let's just say another $3M as an estimate, but absolutely could be lower. $15.7M

Assuming all of the above happens, that puts us with 46 on the roster. Still need 5 guys for now (rule of 51) and that's an additional $2.5M or so. $13.2M.

Need to save some for the draft pool and emergency funds as well. Not sure what exactly that will be.

Only real cost cutting measures left are a Judon extension (lower cap hit in year 1) and a Carr cut which would be $6M.

Enough to make a couple of moves but nothing significant that I would expect.

i think we'll make 1 or 2 savvy moves to bring in overlooked guys but the bulk of our offseason improvement from outside additions is going to come from the draft class (and udfas) - we're in a superbowl window and we need to find 2 immediate impact players but hopefully 3 in this class - it almost doesnt really matter what position they are but obviously ideally at least 1 of them would be in the front 7

Simba

Staff Member
i think we'll make 1 or 2 savvy moves to bring in overlooked guys but the bulk of our offseason improvement from outside additions is going to come from the draft class (and udfas) - we're in a superbowl window and we need to find 2 immediate impact players but hopefully 3 in this class - it almost doesnt really matter what position they are but obviously ideally at least 1 of them would be in the front 7

Agreed. Have to hit in the draft to fill the holes.

If I had to guess on our "big" FA expenditures (and assuming Judon stays on the tag) it'd be DL and OL. Depending on what happens with Carr, I could see us also looking for a similarly versatile guy at a little cheaper rate.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'd like to chime in about the whole corona virus thing. I'm a PhD in biochemistry, so I'm going to assert a small amount of confidence in what I'm saying. I'll first preface with I am for the preventative actions taking place.

The first comment I want to make is that people keep throwing around statistics like they mean things. The mortality rate is this or that. You have no idea what the truth just is. Unfortunately the cdc has no idea what those statistics are either. You have to remember, the only number that hospitals can actually get a number on are for those who go to the hospital. Therefore, by definition, the numbers are artificially high. That's a fact. Additionally, I know for a fact that not everyone going to the hospital is having a dna sample pcr'd to actually identify Covid19. Therefore a lot of reports are also guesses. I guess what I'm saying is people should instead of throwing around numbers like they mean something, say the bigger fear is that we don't actually know the extent of how bad this virus is. It's new and we need to be very careful. Also, there are many reports that china is underselling how bad it is. All the numbers you see are definitely bullshit.

Last point. The ideas of reducing crowds and postponing events, extra washing of hands, social distancing etc that's all really great. That is going to help this disease from spreading. What's not good is the media causing hysteria which is drastically changing things like the stock market, the availability of consumables in the grocery stores, availability for kids to go to school and get meals(not every kid has a stable food source at home), the medical field is unfortunately being flooded with people who are scared they have it when they don't need to be there. There's all kind of issues with people turning precaution into extreme measure.

Unfortunately, you can't do things like ban all travel and cancel all sports and close schools and not expect people to act like this. So a little hysteria and we bring down the deaths and general contagion, I'm all for it. A lot of hysteria and there are huge shifts in the economy and global trade and people's every day lives, not for it. Hoping that this is a non issue come april. Stay healthy everyone!